Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

23 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Probably need a different manager though, unless Gerrard opens up to the 4-2-3-1 like Smith did last season.

Did we not go to a 4-2-3-1 at the back end of the Arsenal game? Bailey on the left, Traore on the right and Coutinho in the hole.

15 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Did we not go to a 4-2-3-1 at the back end of the Arsenal game? Bailey on the left, Traore on the right and Coutinho in the hole.

It looked like Coutinho was hugging the left, but it's possible...he's done it before when we're chasing games. I've never seen him start with a 4-2-3-1 though.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Yeah, a similar concept to when folk shun Authority( not saying Leon has, just a generalisation)....it kinda goes hand in hand.

I find it shows a kind of discipline to respect the crown, and it follows on from all the good values this country has stood for over the years, sure folk can find fault,with it, nothing is perfect.....its sort of in vogue to be anti establishment, or anti everything, and no one suggests they are perfect.

but without that inner discipline, what have we got?....a free for all.

Unfortunately it doesn’t represent the Entirety of the UK, it’s so far away from Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish culture, it’s almost inciting a free for all,  I have to say I like Prince William he certainly seems humble and more down to earth than any other person in his position, but he really doesn’t need the title. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Welp, Prime Minister has just announced ( with Prince William and Kate in attendance ) that Jamaica intends to break with The Monarchy so.

If I'm totally honest with you mate, some of the condescending and borderline racist insinuations I've seen on Facebook regarding this little furore, has left a bitter taste in my mouth, and made me glad about the break.

I get where you're coming from as a proud Englishman though.

It almost got to " Boy better know his place " type levels. ( Almost like some sort of dissilusioned remnant of innate Colonial superiority )

I always have to point out that I'm far from the race bait type, and I hate people turning everything into race, however, some of the comments and insinuations I've seen are quite dissappointing. Especially from Villa fans.

After all, at the end of the day, they are humans like us ffs.

Furthermore, it has emerged that he was walking around with them all day, we have no idea what the context was of the video clip they took and tried to use as weaponry to make him look " disrespectful ". ( If you could even call it that )

I have a feeling that even Prince William wants to be normal every now and then.

Fact is, if you look at the current climate, a large population of Jamaicans aren't actually happy about their visit in the first place.

They see it as a waste of resources and tax dollars to accommodate former.oppressors.

Personally, I like Prince William, but I'm just saying.

* Edit, I probably went off track a little, and understood your point about authority and discipline etc. Just a little side rant based on today's experience, and obviously being slightly defensive due to the obvious connections.

Shaun, I respect the will of the Jamaican people, by majority....if thats what they want, I hope they get the break in ties.

as for a proud Englishman, I am actually half Irish.....but I respect the life and safe existence the country has given me.....However, I am not in favour of the British establishment imposing their will on other countries, only unless they favour us to, in the way of administrative guidance and security....I am not in favour of us being, where we are not wanted and that goes for Scotland too.

I think its difficult to tar everyone with the same brush, even the Royal family have different characters within it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dale said:

What has William done to earn respect of anyone asides from be born into a weird position of wealth and hereditary privilege? 

The French have a respect for the achievements of their country, their national anthem is largely about slaughtering their former Royal Family. 

People enslaved people and colonised lands in the name of the Crown. I personally don't think that deference to people based on birth right is especially noble nor a positive aspect of UK society. 

I think it depends on your overall view.....Slavery, was a stain on the world as a whole, and a horror of the times, where oppression was also bestowed up on all the lower classes....kids were pushed up chimneys in the Dickens era.

Some of the conditions of the poor in the victorian era was abhorrent.....but we can't re-write history, in fact the American civil war was fought to correct the wrongs, where thousands lost their lIves, in the name of freedom and emancipation.

But don't start on Villa Fans......William is one of us...😀.....If you are not proud of that, I can't help you.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Shaun, I respect the will of the Jamaican people, by majority....if thats what they want, I hope they get the break in ties.

as for a proud Englishman, I am actually half Irish.....but I respect the life and safe existence the country has given me.....However, I am not in favour of the British establishment imposing their will on other countries, only unless they favour us to, in the way of administrative guidance and security....I am not in favour of us being, where we are not wanted and that goes for Scotland too.

I think its difficult to tar everyone with the same brush, even the Royal family have different characters within it.

Understood.

FYI, I don't think it's the characters the people don't like.

Most people love Prince William etc.

I think it's more about the symbolism, drain on resources and so on, Espeically given the history and State of the country.

Most civil people in Jamaica wouldn't be disrespecting them or making asses of themselves, regardless of feelings.

That's a conversation for a whole different day and topic though.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Understood.

FYI, I don't think it's the characters the people don't like.

Most people love Prince William etc.

I think it's more about the symbolism, drain on resources and so on, Espeically given the history and State of the country.

Most civil people in Jamaica wouldn't be disrespecting them or making asses of themselves, regardless of feelings.

That's a conversation for a whole different day and topic though.

I agree.....but I think the Monarchy, is self funding to a large degree and  a proud symbol of sovereignty to many people of the UK.

I better get back on topic.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was very good for Jamaica tonight.

Created bucketloads.

Broke a few ankles and delivered some very good set pieces. ( A couple shite ones as well of course )

Defense splitting passes etc.

Should actually have bagged a couple himself and would have deserved it.

Made the right decisions 95 percent of the time.

It's a shame how poor some of the Jamaican play and finishing was though. A waste of all his good work.

Effortlessly the best player on the pitch, mind you, it's not that difficult to be in a Jamaica Vs. El Salvador match.

I'd suggest he is nearing proper fitness, and the warm training and match will have done him good.

Came out uninjured. Performance also makes me wonder if he was " trying too hard " to impress in a few cameos he made here.

Tonight he seemed relatively relaxed, and almost nonchalantly dangerous every time he got the ball across the final third.

I've thought this, it's the league and our strength in depth right now, hope we can keep them all first and they all play their part. I love him, a true match winner, a bums off seats player. Cannot believe we have him, Phillipe and Buendia. Hope they all stay.

• Like 1

Little post match interview from the 13th minute onwards.

Commented that he was happy to play a full 90 as he hasn't in a while, and hopes to be able to play the full 90 in the remaining 2 games.

Seems to have thrown alot of shade at some of the UK based players who haven't turned up as well.

Mentioned that there were way too many egos in the team, hot heads and people who were acting like " know it alls " in the past. Even spoke about himself not being too big for the game, the team, or the coach etc 

His words go against the view some people wrongly have of him.

Sidenote, Ravel Morrison was very good as well. New Coach Paul Hall ( Jamaican /British ) has alot of quality UK experience so I'm guessing him along with Leon will be able to really mentor these lads and allow them to learn how PROPER football and professionals play and act.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

What happened to the drive to attract likes of Demerai Gray etc? I guess that's more for 2026 as I assume Concacaf will be pretty easy to qualify from given I assume all of US, Mexico and Canada will get in automatically.

Still have fond memories of that Jamaica 98 team with likes of Deon Burton, Frank Sinclair and Robbie Earle!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

What happened to the drive to attract likes of Demerai Gray etc? I guess that's more for 2026 as I assume Concacaf will be pretty easy to qualify from given I assume all of US, Mexico and Canada will get in automatically.

Still have fond memories of that Jamaica 98 team with likes of Deon Burton, Frank Sinclair and Robbie Earle!

I was in Paris for that 98 World Cup, unbelievable memories. Even though we only won the one match! ( Someone knicked my Japanese jersey I got from exchange with a fan 🤦🏿 )

Not sure what is going on with attracting them, but the regime has now changed. 

Paul Hall ( Also a member of the 98 squad ) and former Manager of the Youth at QPR I believe has now taken over.

He is implementing a system, and has indicated that he won't be begging anyone to come and represi. Says he will use local talent if he must etc 

It's very much program 2026 now. Alot of Jamaican fans calling for team to be built around the likes of Leon.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Looking at the Jamaica line up I have only just realised that Ravel Morrison is in fact still playing and is at Derby County. Has he finally settled down?

He's been doing well and scoring. I think that playing for Rooney probably helps who came from similar background in terms of the people around them growing up. My understanding is a big part of Morrison's issue was that he never shook the crowd he hung out with. 

• Like 1

Â