EURO 2020: General Chat

AXD

Just now, AXD said:

The tournament gets interesting once it’s the final 8 or so. There are too many terrible games in the group stages, so I would want it to go back to 16 teams (never going to happen of course). Half of europe qualifies, so it doesn’t seem a tournament of the best teams.

There were only 3 'mouthwatering' fixtures in the knock out rounds - England vs Germany, Italy vs Belgium and Italy vs Spain. The rest were good games but not titanic clashes 

I watched second half of Germany game.  The Denmark game but not extra time and one half of another game which I can’t remember who was playing. Shame England couldn’t win for the nation, but I’m not arsed anymore. 

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

There were only 3 'mouthwatering' fixtures in the knock out rounds - England vs Germany, Italy vs Belgium and Italy vs Spain. The rest were good games but not titanic clashes 

You mean 'big name clashes'? Then I agree with what you are saying.

My point was more about the Finland-Russia or Ukraine-Macedonia games, too many teams that are just happy to be there. With only 16 countries, over half them would at least feel they have a chance, there would be none of this 'best 3rd' stuff which then makes teams play for  top 2 in the group, not just 'beat the other bad team'. It's not about the big names, but about the teams in it to win. Denmark as a prime example, Swiss as well, they are not the big names you mention, but made the tournament better. too many teams=too many games not worth it

10 minutes ago, AXD said:

You mean 'big name clashes'? Then I agree with what you are saying.

My point was more about the Finland-Russia or Ukraine-Macedonia games, too many teams that are just happy to be there. With only 16 countries, over half them would at least feel they have a chance, there would be none of this 'best 3rd' stuff which then makes teams play for  top 2 in the group, not just 'beat the other bad team'. It's not about the big names, but about the teams in it to win. Denmark as a prime example, Swiss as well, they are not the big names you mention, but made the tournament better. too many teams=too many games not worth it

Then again Swiss were a best 3rd place team so it has its advantages as well. I dont mind this format, reminds me of the 1st few World Cups i remember 

• Like 3

Thoroughly enjoyed lots of the football, enjoyed seeing something beyond the usual ‘big names’. It gives it more of a sporting festival feel when there are fans there that are genuinely happy to be part of the whole thing. I think that element of the expanded format really works. It is after all, a sport and an entertainment, for the fans. That suffered a little once Wales were out and the viewing had to be through the lens of BBC and ITV who only appeared to have any research notes on players that have played in the Prem.. There’s something quite blinkered there, which might be a contributing factor on why expectation and reality so rarely meet. It’s not only a good game if its got ex Man Utd players in it, it can be a good game if you haven’t heard of them and them having a good game doesn’t mean Chelsea or Arsenal or Man City need to ‘have a look’. Sometimes, a team can play better than the sum of its parts.

I thought the geographical spread and the bias for the ‘home’ teams was terrible and that’s something that really didn’t work and was only then exaggerated by the weird and wonderful covid restrictions in various countries that appeared to be made up on a week by week basis.

On reflection, that Spain vs Italy semi final was probably my favourite game. The ability to keep possession whilst also stringing together a dozen passes up and down the field not just across the back is just a delight to watch.

Imagine if they expand it out again to 32 as has been suggested. Malta shit housing their way to a draw against Spain, Azerbaijan having the game of their lives against Scotland in a seven goal thriller. Love it.

• Like 1

Ceferin seem to have hated pretty much everything about the format of this tournament. He's already stated that it won't be played in multiple countries like this again and there is already talk of increasing the number of teams to 32 so they'll not have to deal with this 3rd place go through stuff. Won't be until the 2028 Euro's thou.

Not sure I love the idea about 32 teams but no chance they will decrease the number of teams back to 16 because money.

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Ceferin seem to have hated pretty much everything about the format of this tournament. He's already stated that it won't be played in multiple countries like this again and there is already talk of increasing the number of teams to 32 so they'll not have to deal with this 3rd place go through stuff. Won't be until the 2028 Euro's thou.

Not sure I love the idea about 32 teams but no chance they will decrease the number of teams back to 16 because money.

It'll be the 1 FA 1 vote stuff that will never see it decrease in numbers

The likes of Scotland, Macedonia etc are never going to say yes to it

And FWIW the number of games doesn't change just this stupid 3rd place thing so I'd rather it was 32 teams

The multi country thing though I once saw was pure money, poor ticket sales and corporate take up for the Poland / Ukraine tournament lead to this brain fart

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It'll be the 1 FA 1 vote stuff that will never see it decrease in numbers

The likes of Scotland, Macedonia etc are never going to say yes to it

And FWIW the number of games doesn't change just this stupid 3rd place thing so I'd rather it was 32 teams

The multi country thing though I once saw was pure money, poor ticket sales and corporate take up for the Poland / Ukraine tournament lead to this brain fart

It was a vanity project for Platini to celebrate himself and the 60 anniversary of the first games. Didn't really pan out with Platini getting prosecuted and the games moved due to Covid but hey-ho.

Rather have 32 than 24 teams but making the tournament that big excludes most countries from being able to host it and makes it unnecessarily big

Multiple hosting isn’t an automatic problem.

It could be a much tighter cluster of venues between Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece, or Ireland and England, Belgium and The Netherlands, than if the tournament goes to Russia or Turkey or France, and would reduce the financial implications of needing all those venues brought up to spec within one country. So it potentially makes hosting far more accessible for more participating nations. It can be a good way of spreading the love if its used correctly.

It’s a hell of a big if though.

• Like 3

Multiple hosting is here to stay

Euros copa America and World Cup all doing it 

As long as they centralise it somehow then its not a problem, for 2026 for example base a group in Canada playing games in Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa and its not that bad, not compared with South Africa, Brazil and Russia, I'm sure for 2002 England had games in both countries 

That's why I think for all the corruption, human rights violations and bullshit about it being in Qatar that world cup will still be fascinating, its relatively tiny compared to most tournaments, I hope a lot of people travel as it could be really special and unlike anywhere else 

They've made the tournaments too big and demanding to be hosted by only 1 country. But this one was an absolute disaster. Even the scaled down version we got with "only" 11 venues was horrible. The original idea was even worse. 

As for the upcoming north America crap with 48 teams it's a behemoth rules out all smaller bids. Smaller as in less than 4-5 countries combined.

It will also make the money from vile companies and states to fund it even more vital. That ship has already sailed in football but if there ever was a way back it's long gone now.

personal team of the tournament

Donnarumma

Walker Maguire Chiellini Shaw

Barella Hojberg Pedri  

De Bruyne                    Insigne

Schick

Ronaldo was top scorer but couldnt fit him in

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

to be fair to him shaw probably did just about overtake spinnazola

imagine if southgate actually let him play his football...

Imagine if Southgate let Grealish play any football.

• Like 1

but grealish doesn't cover for shaw...

who doesn't get forward...

who is playing in a back 5...

with 2 holding midfielders...

and then actually stats show that he was doing more defensive work than the guy southgate chose to play on the left instead...

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Walker in that list is hilarious 

The people who put the list together have not watched the games, they are just given the results and the team sheets up on a wall, which is coveted by a picture of Priti Patel and they just throw darts at her.

Â