Midweek Football 17/19 May

andykeenan

seen very little of the championship last 2 seasons but watching these games, who are 4 of the league's best teams. it really is horrifying how we took 3 years to get out of this league.

Just now, tomav84 said:

seen very little of the championship last 2 seasons but watching these games, who are 4 of the league's best teams. it really is horrifying how we took 3 years to get out of this league.

we had to unshit ourselves and it was a slow process. but honestly think we were better in our last year than either of these teams were on this showing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

we had to unshit ourselves and it was a slow process. but honestly think we were better in our last year than either of these teams were on this showing.

yeah looking at this i'm fairly confiden't we'd have come back up if we'd gone down last season

• Like 2

Football is so much better to watch when the balls actually in play.

It feels like there's so much more actual football in the championship, even if most of the passes are headers it's better than the insanity of the premier league. Teams can legitimately defend a 1-0 by kicking a ball out, complaining to the ref about said kicking of the ball out, then refusing to give the other team the ball to take the throw in until the ref says enough, doesn't book anybody then the whole process is repeated 40 seconds later.

• Like 4

Play offs were far stronger the year we were in it....Leeds, enough said. West Brom had likes of Craig Dawson, Mason Holgate, Gayle, Jay Rodriguez in their starting line up and I think they'd have gone up automatically if they'd keep Harvey Barnes for full season.

Derby were seen as the weakest of the four by a mile (and I certainly was happy we got them as final opponents compared to Leeds) and they still had Mason Mount, Harry Wilson and Tomori as starters!

Compare that to this four and there's no comparison. Bournemouth probably got the strongest 11 but it stil dosen't look that amazing.

5 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Football is so much better to watch when the balls actually in play.

It feels like there's so much more actual football in the championship, even if most of the passes are headers it's better than the insanity of the premier league. Teams can legitimately defend a 1-0 by kicking a ball out, complaining to the ref about said kicking of the ball out, then refusing to give the other team the ball to take the throw in until the ref says enough, doesn't book anybody then the whole process is repeated 40 seconds later.

Not quite sure the point you're making Rino but that was one of my pet hates of the championship, the refs here were clueless about time wasting incidents so you'd routinely have matches without many goals or injuries/subs having 5-6 minutes added on as refs just lose control of games so easily. I remember playing Forest early on in our first season down here and they took the pee all game, players getting subbed taking nearly 2 minutes to walk off the pitch etc.

God help the championship if VAR ever happens as then 10-12 minutes added on will be commonplace!

Edited by VillaChris

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Not quite sure the point you're making Rino but that was one of my pet hates of the championship, the refs here were clueless about time wasting incidents so you'd routinely have matches without many goals or injuries/subs having 5-6 minutes added on as refs just lose control of games so easily. I remember playing Forest early on in our first season down here and they took the pee all game, players getting subbed taking nearly 2 minutes to walk off the pitch etc.

God help the championship if VAR ever happens as then 10-12 minutes added on will be commonplace!

I dunno, I don't think time wasting is anywhere near as bad in the champ. While injury time might not be as generous the amount of shit that teams get away with now in the PL is mindblowing?

Lost the ball? Roll about, get your entire team to stop playing and now it's a foul.

Conceded a free kick? Protest innocence, stand infront of ball, refuse to get into a useful position until sufficient time has been wasted. It has been perfected in the PL, walking just on the right side of the line for time wasting without getting booked.

When we lost to Wolves a few months ago from their goal to full time at 94 minutes the ball was in play for 12 minutes. They scored in the 64th.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rino8 said:

I dunno, I don't think time wasting is anywhere near as bad in the champ. While injury time might not be as generous the amount of shit that teams get away with now in the PL is mindblowing?

Lost the ball? Roll about, get your entire team to stop playing and now it's a foul.

Conceded a free kick? Protest innocence, stand infront of ball, refuse to get into a useful position until sufficient time has been wasted. It has been perfected in the PL, walking just on the right side of the line for time wasting without getting booked.

When we lost to Wolves a few months ago from their goal to full time at 94 minutes the ball was in play for 12 minutes. They scored in the 64th.

I'm all for 30 minute halves with the time stopped when the ball is out of play. You'd be slightly increasing the average amount of action of a normal PL match (around 55 minutes off the top of my head) and instantly remove all of this shithousery.

• Like 2

So did Fernandes touch it or not? If not then it should be offside right?

SKY and the fantasy site has de Gea with the assist.

Edited by sne

If Fernandes didn't touch it then Cavani is at least a meter offside if not more. It's not even close.

Be interesting to see how they explain giving de Gea the assist but not calling the offside.

And yes I do have Fernandes as captain in my fantasy side :D 

edit

expanded thumbnail

Edit 2: They've give the assist to Fernandes now. Still very iffy if he touched the ball but at least they are covering their backs with the call now.

Edited by sne
  • Haha 1

Â