VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

There's a reason Danny Carey is considered one of the best drummers in the world. I've linked this loads of times, but it's worth doing so again. The song Pneuma, from their last album, around the release of the album, but filmed entirely focused on Carey drumming. It's badass.

Had this on earlier on in the van whilst it was raining. Talk about precision .

• Like 1

Inspired by this is listened to Lateralus in full for the first time in years this afternoon.

Man thats just a good album.

Has the touchstones of Tool finely tuned - the complex rhythm sections propelling you around the song with super precise instrumentation, but cleverly mixing that messing with time signatures and rhythm with swaying sweeping groove beats and melodies, and then whacking on top of that cutting, aggressive vocals and lyrics that approach subjects from a distance and with allusions to philosophy, psychology, and other abstract 'high' concepts and themes, and tied together by these 'eastern' riffs and guitar driven soundscapes, built out of sludgy and dirty and heavy intonation.

You get metal, you get groove, sludge and stoner metal (less on Lateralus admittedly), you get a big whack of prog rock, you get some art rock stuff... it's just **** good. Yeah theres the really cool stuff like doing a song that is entirely structured around the Fibonacci sequence, but you also have stuff like Schism, which has that hypnotic bass guiding through it but also goes absolutely insane with time signatures - and you don't even notice it.

And then it has Parabola on it, which is one of the best songs ever written.

But then listening to the whole thing for the first time in so long, you forget that it's properly an album. The thing flows like a classical suite - to the extent that Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad may as well just be a single piece with different movements.

And then they end it with their usual silly madness with Faaip de Oiad, setting a famous radio call in, allegedly from someone discharged from Area 51, against a sinister distorted alien ambient soundscape. Even the name is a bit of a gag, it's taken from a made up language from the 16th century. This is after all a band that put a song in an album sung in very aggressive German with super in your face instrumentation meant to make you think of fascism, but the lyrics when translated are revealed to actually be a recipe for devilled eggs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Chin, have you heard Maynards offshoot bands? Definitely worth checking out 

I'm a big fan of A Perfect Circle and was delighted when they did their last album after so long in hiatus, and I like a lot of Puscifer. Puscifer is genuinely a good little outfit and would put out a banging greatest hits now. Neither is as 'worthy' a band as Tool, but both are really good - APC being the perfect 90s style alt-rock/heavier indie style band, and Puscifer the more experimental indie band that every now and then kicks it down into a true rock song. It's kinda hard to believe that a band that does a cool little acoustic track like Momma Sed that then goes and does something like Apocalyptical.

I also like the work of the other vocalist in Puscifer, Wolverhampton's own Carina Round, who has a done a fair bit of solo stuff that nobody cared about, and then became a jobbing vocalist before fitting into Puscifer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Can’t see you liking their early stuff. If you were going to think anything was ok it would be off the black album which enter sandman is off . Whiskey in the jar is a bad cover .

For starters I love how we all think we know what mooney would like :D (Not aimed at you ruge - we do this all the time but only really for mooney)

But I ended up thinking about this this afternoon painting away to Puppets and Justice and I'd go the other way really. Earlier stuff that has all the lovely melodic guitar bits might be more accessible

If I had to pick a few for mooney or others to listen to to try 'em out I'd say Orion (even MrsVM likes Orion), Sanitarium and maybe One.

And fwiw I have a lot of time for The Black Album, it's everything after that that just leaves me cold. Holier than thou, Sad but true and Wherever I may roam may well be on the album with a ballad on it but they're right up there for my money.

The only cover of theirs I ever really liked was their version of Stone Cold Crazy

35 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

For starters I love how we all think we know what mooney would like :D (Not aimed at you ruge - we do this all the time but only really for mooney)

But I ended up thinking about this this afternoon painting away to Puppets and Justice and I'd go the other way really. Earlier stuff that has all the lovely melodic guitar bits might be more accessible

If I had to pick a few for mooney or others to listen to to try 'em out I'd say Orion (even MrsVM likes Orion), Sanitarium and maybe One.

And fwiw I have a lot of time for The Black Album, it's everything after that that just leaves me cold. Holier than thou, Sad but true and Wherever I may roam may well be on the album with a ballad on it but they're right up there for my money.

The only cover of theirs I ever really liked was their version of Stone Cold Crazy

You’re right about their earlier stuff marv , some of the guitar parts are a thing of beauty, very melodic but can’t see Mike liking the Thrashing . I think the black album is far more assessable for people who are not keen on anything too extreme when it comes to metal. It’s the album for people who don’t really like Metallica if ya know what I mean. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I'm a big fan of A Perfect Circle and was delighted when they did their last album after so long in hiatus, and I like a lot of Puscifer. Puscifer is genuinely a good little outfit and would put out a banging greatest hits now. Neither is as 'worthy' a band as Tool, but both are really good - APC being the perfect 90s style alt-rock/heavier indie style band, and Puscifer the more experimental indie band that every now and then kicks it down into a true rock song. It's kinda hard to believe that a band that does a cool little acoustic track like Momma Sed that then goes and does something like Apocalyptical.

I also like the work of the other vocalist in Puscifer, Wolverhampton's own Carina Round, who has a done a fair bit of solo stuff that nobody cared about, and then became a jobbing vocalist before fitting into Puscifer.

My absolute favourite Perfect Circle track.

Its **** joyous 😊 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Designer1 said:

My absolute favourite Perfect Circle track.

Its **** joyous 😊 

I'm now going to listen to all of their albums this afternoon and come back with notes, because I don't think I can pick a favourite. Judith will be in there, as will the outsider, and this, and Disillusioned, and 3 Libras...

• Like 1

Just bought two still sealed albums from a used record shop. I was perfectly happy to pay the £30 for the pair, but the guy gave me a fiver off. Then he got distracted, came back to me and said ‘how much did we say?’ So I told him we agreed £25 and he said yeah and I’ll knock a fiver off that so that’s £20 please.

Flaming Lips, The Terror (expanded dbl album)

Islet, Illuminated People

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Just bought two still sealed albums from a used record shop. I was perfectly happy to pay the £30 for the pair, but the guy gave me a fiver off. Then he got distracted, came back to me and said ‘how much did we say?’ So I told him we agreed £25 and he said yeah and I’ll knock a fiver off that so that’s £20 please.

Flaming Lips, The Terror (expanded dbl album)

Islet, Illuminated People

Just went into a record shop in Brixham. One brand new sealed copy of Paul's Boutique by the beastie boys and Ram by Paul McCartney. 50 of your holiday pounds please. Little to show for the amount but I will be going back tomorrow. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Just went into a record shop in Brixham. One brand new sealed copy of Paul's Boutique by the beastie boys and Ram by Paul McCartney. 50 of your holiday pounds please. Little to show for the amount but I will be going back tomorrow. 

So Paul's Boutique was expensive at £100 then

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

As you’re so close, if you have spare time you should pop in to Phoenix Sounds in Newton Abbott. A decent sized shop, a mix of new and used and when I was there less than a year ago the prices were really very good. Lots of bundle sales going on.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

One brand new sealed copy of Paul's Boutique...

The press you wanted? There's been a few over the last few years.

There's 2xLPs. Would check them out before buying the single version.

20 minutes ago, Xann said:

The press you wanted? There's been a few over the last few years.

There's 2xLPs. Would check them out before buying the single version.

Ideally I wanted the original 89 pressing but this is the single disc reissue. More than happy with. 

Â