VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Ok @Stevo985 i think this is probably best place to put our debate in the other thread.

So tell me what artists you think are on par to the 90s rap scene? 

I think all of todays stuff pretty poor. Looking at the uk you got people like dizzie rascal stormzy skepta. These guys dont come anywhere close to the dres, snoops 2pacs from the 90s.

Even if you look at state side jayz recent stuff is shite compared to hos previous albums like the dynasty blue print etc and that was after the 90s.

I stick to my original argument rap music nodays is shit and its mainly dead

On 25/06/2022 at 18:06, alreadyexists said:

Just listened to High Violet by The National (for the millionth time) and it is virtually a perfect album in my opinion, out in 2010 and I still listen to it regularly. 

On 25/06/2022 at 19:25, Mark Albrighton said:

For me, High Violet has some real high points, but I’d rather listen to Alligator, Boxer, Trouble Will Find Me and I am Easy to Find.

So I suppose it’s my fifth favourite of theirs as it stands, which from what I’ve read generally is at odds with the fan base as a whole.

@mjmooney yeah as Bicks says, they do take a fair few listens, while I love them I understand why some find them hard work, even considering them a bit boring. For what it’s worth and for whatever reason, I have the feeling you’d like 90 mile Water Wall, from their second album. I’m probably wrong, but if I was going to introduce you to them, I’d have chosen that.

6 months late to The National chat, what a miss. My favourite band - just look at the avatar!

1. IAETF
  2. Alligator
  3. Boxer
  4. TWFM
  5. HV
  6. SWB
  7. TN
  8. Sad Songs

Went to Pamplona in May for their first show in a few years, seated gig (not for long) and front row.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

6 months late to The National chat, what a miss. My favourite band - just look at the avatar!

1. IAETF
  2. Alligator
  3. Boxer
  4. TWFM
  5. HV
  6. SWB
  7. TN
  8. Sad Songs

Went to Pamplona in May for their first show in a few years, seated gig (not for long) and front row.

They really are a fantastic band. Do you like Big Red Machine?

Edited by alreadyexists

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Ok @Stevo985 i think this is probably best place to put our debate in the other thread.

I think all of todays stuff pretty poor. Looking at the uk you got people like dizzie rascal stormzy skepta. These guys dont come anywhere close to the dres, snoops 2pacs from the 90s.

Even if you look at state side jayz recent stuff is shite compared to hos previous albums like the dynasty blue print etc and that was after the 90s.

You are  comparing apples and oranges, 90s Dre, Snoop and 2Pac, arguably amongst the 90s biggest acts that went beyond hip hop, compared to some grime mc's. 

To really compare you need to look at J Cole, Tyler the Creator and Kendrick Lamar. Where as Dre was innovative for his time, them and Lil Nas X are pushing the boundaries of mainstream hip hop now. You may consider it shit, but its just different, it has to move on, you are referring to music that 30 years old and more.

25 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

They really are a fantastic band. Do you like Big Red Machine?

I really like The National. Big Red Machine on the other hand is the worst album I've speculatively bought in a decade

I have a mental list of records I might trade in at some point, duplicates and records I don't really play etc. It sits right at the top of that list

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Well just as a point, I didn't say the music was on a par with the 90s rap scene. I just said there was still good rap out there and it wasn't "dogshit" which is how you described it.

But just to put some names out there

Kendrick Lamar
Kanye West
Drake
Stormzy
Dave
Tyler the Creator
Childish Gambino
Travis Scott
J Cole
AJ Tracey
Headie One
Lil Nas X 
Kid Cudi
Pusha T
Future
Post Malone
Dababy
Doja

That's just a handful off the top of my head. Not all of that will be everyone's cup of tea and I'm certainly not saying they're all as good as 90s rap, but all of those have released music in the recent past that is very good.

Edited by Stevo985

For me Drake is the absolute benchmark for awful music. I rather listen to pretty much anything else. 

Personal preference of course, I'm sure some of the stuff I listen to would have the same effect on some people. I do find his ability to be terrible at sports betting very entertaining thou.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I really like The National. Big Red Machine on the other hand is the worst album I've speculatively bought in a decade

I have a mental list of records I might trade in at some point, duplicates and records I don't really play etc. It sits right at the top of that list

Wow, that blows me away! Funny how subjective music can be :) 

5 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Wow, that blows me away! Funny how subjective music can be :) 

I just find it dull and uninteresting. There's nothing there to hate even, its that boring

I bought it because I like the National (and to an extent Bon Iver). I've played it a few times over the months just to make sure, everytime I see someone praising it, I think maybe its just the mood I was in at the time but nope... it really does nothing for me every single time

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I just find it dull and uninteresting. There's nothing there to hate even, its that boring

I bought it because I like the National. I've played it a few times over the months just to make sure, everytime I see someone praising it, I think maybe its just the mood I was in at the time but nope... it really does nothing for me every single time

I am a big Bon Iver / Justin Vernon fan so maybe I forgive it all its shortcomings? Not sure, but I enjoyed both the BRMachine albums.

Similar to Volcano Choir another Justin Vernon project I really enjoyed Repave (out in 2013ish from memory)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Well just as a point, I didn't say the music was on a par with the 90s rap scene. I just said there was still good rap out there and it wasn't "dogshit" which is how you described it.

But just to put some names out there

Kendrick Lamar
Kanye West
Drake
Stormzy
Dave
Tyler the Creator
Childish Gambino
Travis Scott
J Cole
AJ Tracey
Headie One
Lil Nas X 
Kid Cudi
Pusha T
Future
Post Malone
Dababy
Doja

That's just a handful off the top of my head. Not all of that will be everyone's cup of tea and I'm certainly not saying they're all as good as 90s rap, but all of those have released music in the recent past that is very good.

Out of all of them the only one i like is kid cudi. Kanye west  recent stuff is absolute garbage. His first two albums were excellent then gone to shit. Never liked drake. Think he is one of the most over rated artists out there.

Future is he still around?

Dont know who dave,  headie one or any of the last three are so cant comment on them. But i still maintain from the rap music ive heard from this era is just lame to the old school stuff.

Stormzy is the uk drake. Over rated never liked any of his material.

But thats personal preference with music so doesnt mean your wrong its what kind of music you like

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Dont know who dave,  headie one or any of the last three are so cant comment on them

Even I know who Dave is! 

(He's just as shite as all the others, mind). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bickster said:

bought it because I like the National (and to an extent Bon Iver).

It’s (for me) an almost cast iron guarantee that anything JV / Bon Iver is involved in will be dull as dishwater. There are no exceptions. Collabs with artists I like. All dull. His own stuff. Dull.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

7 hours ago, blandy said:

It’s (for me) an almost cast iron guarantee that anything JV / Bon Iver is involved in will be dull as dishwater. There are no exceptions. Collabs with artists I like. All dull. His own stuff. Dull.

Somebody recommended Bon Iver to me, so I had a listen. 

You're right. Dull. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Out of all of them the only one i like is kid cudi. Kanye west  recent stuff is absolute garbage. His first two albums were excellent then gone to shit. Never liked drake. Think he is one of the most over rated artists out there.

Future is he still around?

Dont know who dave,  headie one or any of the last three are so cant comment on them. But i still maintain from the rap music ive heard from this era is just lame to the old school stuff.

Stormzy is the uk drake. Over rated never liked any of his material.

But thats personal preference with music so doesnt mean your wrong its what kind of music you like

If you don't know who Dave is then you should take an hour out of your day to listen to the whole of "Psychodrama" and then come back and tell me today's rap is dogshit with a straight face :) 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If you don't know who Dave is then you should take an hour out of your day to listen to the whole of "Psychodrama" and then come back and tell me today's rap is dogshit with a straight face :) 

Thanks for the tip ill have listen to it and give you my opinion 

• Like 1

Â