Midweek Football 26/29 April

andykeenan

Man Utd gonna win it. 

They are just head and shoulders above the rest. 

Bit ridiculous that CL teams gets rewarded by failure and gets handed a free ticket into the Europa League if they go out of the group stage. 

Edited by villalad21

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Man Utd gonna win it. 

Bit ridiculous that CL teams gets rewarded with failure and gets handed a free ticket if they go out in the group stage. 

I've said it before that parachuting teams into the Europa half way through the tournament is wrong.

If, and I suspect they do win it  it also opens up 5th place in the prem into the champions League so Liverpool will benefit from it too. 

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jimzk5 said:

I've said it before that parachuting teams into the Europa half way through the tournament is wrong.

If, and I suspect they do win it  it also opens up 5th place in the prem into the champions League so Liverpool will benefit from it too. 

It’s pretty funny that Liverpool will be silently cheering on United

1 minute ago, Jimzk5 said:

If, and I suspect they will it also opens up 5th place in the prem into the champions League so Liverpool will benefit from it too. 

This rule should have been protested against a long time ago. 

Just doesn't sit right with me. 

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Man Utd gonna win it. 

Bit ridiculous that CL teams gets rewarded by failure and gets handed a free ticket into the Europa League if they go out of the group stage. 

This is mostly designed for clubs from smaller countries. As the big teams are separate as much as possible in the group stage, there are always 2 top teams in every group. So it’s almost impossible for the champions of Belgium or Austria to survive the groups. PL their day, smaller clubs can take on a big club (a home and away match), but these mini leagues make sure big clubs can make up for it.

for a team like club Brugge, getting 3rd and into the Europa league is good result because they should be able to compete. For ManU this is a consolation prize.

9 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

You currently can’t have more than 4 teams in the Champions League. If Arsenal won it the 4th placed team in the Premier League would lose their spot. 

Didn’t that happen to Spurs one year?

Edited by LondonLax

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

You currently can’t have more than 4 teams in the Champions League. If Arsenal won it the 4th placed team in the Premier League would lose their spot. 

Didn’t that happen to Spurs one year?

Only way 4th place lose their CL spot are if Arsenal win the europa league and Chelsea win CL, but Chelsea don´t end in the top four in the PL.  

Five teams in the CL are the most from one league.

Edited by villa82
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

a) If the FA Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League, their UEL group stage place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

b) If the EFL Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League (or top six if (a) happens), their UECL playoff place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

How does winning UCL/UEL affect qualification?

Should a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League they will automatically qualify for the group stage of next season's competition regardless of their league finishing position.

Should a Premier League club win the UEFA Europa League they will automatically qualify for the group stage of next season's UEFA Champions League regardless of their league finishing position.

A maximum of five Premier League teams are eligible for UEFA Champions League qualification.

In the event that a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League and another win the UEFA Europa League and neither of these clubs finish in the top four of the Premier League, the club lying fourth in the table will drop into the UEFA Europa League group stage.

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

In 74 games he's scored 20 penalties 

Rooney scored 27 in 559, RvN scored 28 in 219

Definitely nothing to see here... 

OGS will keep mentioning things not going their way so the refs know what they need to do to get an easy life. 

Â