England Euro 2021 squad

OutByEaster?

18 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I don't think Phillips is ready to anchor the England midfield in a major tournament, even if he has been managed for the last 3 years by the greatest manager ever to have graced the game.

It's our big weakness as a position though, in terms of proper holding midfielders, we're rubbish.

Winks or Phillips?

I'm not sure Winks is a Premier League player.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's our big weakness as a position though, in terms of proper holding midfielders, we're rubbish.

Winks or Phillips?

I'm not sure Winks is a Premier League player.

Screw it play Mount and Rice for energy in the middle and get all of our attacking players on the pitch. Who says you have to play with a permanent holding midfielder?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Screw it play Mount and Rice for energy in the middle and get all of our attacking players on the pitch. Who says you have to play with a permanent holding midfielder?

This for me all day. Mount is so versatile. When we're not playing the top teams we can easily play with one midfielder shielding the back 4, and I'd pick Rice for that role. Alongside him, Mount can be the link between the back 4 and the front players. So much better than Rice and Henderson doing that. Obviously Southgate will want two players sitting in front of 3 centre halves though.

With Mount and Rice in midfield we'd have a front four that would be envied by almost every other team. And quality backup.

Edited by Jonesy7211
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Obviously Southgate will want two players sitting in front of a back 5 though.

He's a pain in that he is going to want to do one of two things - either play with two holding midfielders in front of a back four, or play five at the back including Dier. It's like he's looked at the squad, noticed where we're weakest and built a team around that weakness.

• Like 1

England squad is like Spain in 2008-12 in that they have rhe most quality players but msinly ik the same area. Spain had a manager ti squeeze in Busquets, Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta and one of Silva or Cesc

I dont think Southgate has ever tried with his attacking issue, England want to win they sack him now

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's a pain in that he is going to want to do one of two things - either play with two holding midfielders in front of a back four, or play five at the back including Dier. It's like he's looked at the squad, noticed where we're weakest and built a team around that weakness.

After the 2010 world cup everyone agreed that we needed more technical attacking players, instead of the rush/strength football the English game was based on. The irony is we now have them, and those technical players are now our best, but we've got Southgate who simply won't play to our strengths for the reason you've stated.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

After the 2010 world cup everyone agreed that we needed more technical attacking players, instead of the rush/strength football the English game was based on. The irony is we now have them, and those technical players are now our best, but we've got Southgate who simply won't play to our strengths for the reason you've stated.

100% agree

The fall out of the 2010 world cup didn't suggest "technical" players meant they were quick and could press so they were comfortable playing chase the ball down the channel 

That's ultimately how Southagte wants to play, just get it in to the world class front 3 when he has enough depth and quality in middle and final third to play any brand of football that he wants he is picking the most basic 

4-2-3-1

Pope

TAA - stones - mings - chilwell

Rice - mount

Sterling - foden - Grealish 

Kane

Pickford, Henderson, James, saka, maguire, walker, konsa, maddison, Henderson, sancho, rashford, calvert lewin

From that I think there is a CB and a CF position definitely up for grabs, I hope konsa is the CB but the CF I honestly don't know, I don't think any of them (Ings, Abraham, DLC) are anything special, I don't think Southgate takes maddison even though he should, he'll stick Winks or Phillips in there 

Rice in there even though I don't really rate him, personally I don't think he shows enough when our CBs have the ball, a bit like Nakamba, but he should allow us to play really attacking full backs (even if TAA and James form has fell off a cliff) 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

4-2-3-1

Pope

TAA - stones - mings - chilwell

Rice - mount

Sterling - foden - Grealish 

Kane

Pickford, Henderson, James, saka, maguire, walker, konsa, maddison, Henderson, sancho, rashford, calvert lewin

From that I think there is a CB and a CF position definitely up for grabs, I hope konsa is the CB but the CF I honestly don't know, I don't think any of them (Ings, Abraham, DLC) are anything special, I don't think Southgate takes maddison even though he should, he'll stick Winks or Phillips in there 

Rice in there even though I don't really rate him, personally I don't think he shows enough when our CBs have the ball, a bit like Nakamba, but he should allow us to play really attacking full backs (even if TAA and James form has fell off a cliff) 

Pretty much this but I'd probably start Walker, TAA has been awful this season. I'm not sure Saka makes the squad either unless we're playing 3/5 at the back (which unfortunately we probably will be), I imagine it'll be Shaw and Chillwell fighting for the LB spot in a four, but I'm hoping Targett can get himself in the conversation, Chillwell is struggling to get games for Chelsea at the minute which could play its part.

Hes not going to change from the 5 at the back is he and he likes Rice in front of them with probably Henderson and then the normal three up top. Sterling, Kane and Rashford. Mount and then Grealish will come off the bench. 

Edited by PaulC

43 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

Pretty much this but I'd probably start Walker, TAA has been awful this season. I'm not sure Saka makes the squad either unless we're playing 3/5 at the back (which unfortunately we probably will be), I imagine it'll be Shaw and Chillwell fighting for the LB spot in a four, but I'm hoping Targett can get himself in the conversation, Chillwell is struggling to get games for Chelsea at the minute which could play its part.

Saka to me is a brilliant player for a tournament, can cover 4 positions and he's pretty good in them too! 

I like the look of him and Jack down the left

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Saka to me is a brilliant player for a tournament, can cover 4 positions and he's pretty good in them too! 

That would be a great combination. If Southgate plays five at the back, at least he could use Saka as a wing-back.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I don't disagree, if we go with a five (and let's face it Gareth will go with a five) then he's a shoe in. But in my ideal squad, playing the formation I think England should play, Saka doesn't get in as an orthodox LB, and he's in competition with Sterling, Foden, Sancho etc as a RW.

• Like 1

GK - Pope , Henderson, Pickford (3)

Defense - Maguire, Mings, Stones, Konsa, Chillwell, Shaw, Trippier ,TAA  (8)

Midfield - Henderson, Rice, Phillips, Ward Prowse, Maddison, Grealish, Sterling , Sancho, Mount,  (9)

Striker - Kane , DCL, Rashford (3)

Would play this: 

Pope

Tripper -   Maguire - Stones -  Chillwell

Rice       Hendo

Sancho       Super Jack    Rashford

Kane

Frustrating so many play on the left wing

45 minutes ago, Danny_Villaman84 said:

that why I want him sack replaced by E.Howe 

Dean Smith would do wonders with that England talent, but obviously we’d never allow that!

I wonder if Graham Potter would be a good choice if we went English only, plays the right system. Only worry is his Brighton side are embarrassingly toothless, not sure whether that’s him or the players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

Dean Smith would do wonders with that England talent, but obviously we’d never allow that!

I wonder if Graham Potter would be a good choice if we went English only, plays the right system. Only worry is his Brighton side are embarrassingly toothless, not sure whether that’s him or the players.

That why I won’t suggest smith as don’t want him left lol. As I know he might have best English manager at moment.

potter mmmmm good shout.. that why only can I think system with our potential best creative players is better under these managerial by Howe and smith, maybe potter. 

dyches I’m not sure about him

• Like 1

Â