Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

1 minute ago, DeepDish said:

I have always been annoyed by the "sell him", "get rid" comments of almost all the players that are not natural first eleven. I hope those people now see the point of building a squad. IMO Emery has done everything the right way in how he has kept his players and made them take part in this pre season.

To add, it's like some also don't get the concept of Man Management and trying to extract the best out of the resources you have.

Like because a player has had a poor run, is out of form, or hasn't been great , Unai should come out and say they are shite or put them in a bomb squad.

I think he is also exhibiting excellent Man Management as well, which will only help the morale of the squad, and improve the chances of even under performing players, to perform when needed.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I don't envy him having to pick a first 11 from this squad. I have no idea what our best 11 is anymore.

We are so interchangeable.  Really decent squad of players, if we could add a couple more and be greedy. 

We have midtable finances and now have a squad that looks like the best we have ever had . Tonight we were without JJ and Carlos.  Only 4 or 5 of the starting XI would be in my best first 11 yet it didnt matter. The players did not miss a beat against a strong Lazio team . 

Reminds me of Brighton last game of the season.  The system works so well that if the players are coached to an elite level it doesnt matter . 

Tielemans is gold, but Kamara, Luiz, and McGinn are all brilliant, too. Diaby has to play, as does Watkins. 

Reckon we go to Newcastle set up in a 4-4-2 and win the game from midfield. 

9 hours ago, DeepDish said:

I have always been annoyed by the "sell him", "get rid" comments of almost all the players that are not natural first eleven. I hope those people now see the point of building a squad. IMO Emery has done everything the right way in how he has kept his players and made them take part in this pre season.

They won't and they never will I think. There are some people who only think 7 or 8 players are good enough to even be at Villa. So the concept of a squad that we can improve over time and capable of playing consistently at a high level over 55-60 games. That's lost on them.

8 hours ago, Awol said:

Tielemans is gold, but Kamara, Luiz, and McGinn are all brilliant, too. Diaby has to play, as does Watkins. 

Reckon we go to Newcastle set up in a 4-4-2 and win the game from midfield. 

I think it'll be Buendia, Luiz, Kamara, McGinn in midfield for that game. We might go with Pau in LB as they attack so much down their right with Trippier. 

We have really good depth at the minute imo. We played almost two teams yesterday which you could consider first team players (Kellyman and Revan aside).

Yet we still had Diego Carlos, Dendoncker, Duran, Ramsey and Moreno missing. 

There are then other capable youngsters such as A Ramsey and Iroegbunam if they don't go out on loan. 

21 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I’m noticing a lot of comments along the lines of “I totally trust Unai’s opinion/judgement on (insert topic/player name) but”.

Stop talking. There is no but. He has got everything right so far, he knows far more than you or I will ever know about the game, and he knows our squad and what they are capable of. 

Baring in mind the changes and complexity of modern football, he is the most skilled manager/head coach that we have ever had at our club, if you say you trust him then trust him.

Same with the transfers too, which I’m also guilty of!

No one really thought we needed to prioritise a high level CB like Pau Torres but now all has become clear.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, villarule123 said:

I don't envy him having to pick a first 11 from this squad. I have no idea what our best 11 is anymore.

Pretty straight forward for me when everyone is fit

Martinez, Moreno, Torres, Mings, Cash, Kamara, Tielsman, Luiz, Buendia, Diaby, Watkins

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Pretty straight forward for me when everyone is fit

Martinez, Moreno, Torres, Mings, Cash, Kamara, Tielsman, Luiz, Buendia, Diaby, Watkins

Agree with most but would be extremely surprised to see us go from 2 center mids to 3. Can't see luiz, tielemans and Kamara starting at the same time. Also don't think we will see Torres and Mings start in center back together too often.

43 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Agree with most but would be extremely surprised to see us go from 2 center mids to 3. Can't see luiz, tielemans and Kamara starting at the same time. Also don't think we will see Torres and Mings start in center back together too often.

I don't know.

Unai seem very adaptable and we should play our best players.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are we really 4-4-2 ?

I see more of a fluid 4-2-3-1

Out of possession we're as 4-4-2 as Mike Bassett. 

In possession we're a sort of...3-2-3-2.

Horrible idea but is actually wonderful. Like sky diving.

3 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

I’m noticing a lot of comments along the lines of “I totally trust Unai’s opinion/judgement on (insert topic/player name) but”.

Stop talking. There is no but. He has got everything right so far, he knows far more than you or I will ever know about the game, and he knows our squad and what they are capable of. 

Baring in mind the changes and complexity of modern football, he is the most skilled manager/head coach that we have ever had at our club, if you say you trust him then trust him.

There is a but. As great as he is, no one is infallible. I'd have been disappointed if we signed Barnes for instance, we were linked to him but aside from his goal scoring his other stats are very underwhelming. I trust emery to put out the best side of players that he has (accounting for rotation etc) that's not the same as having blind faith in signings that's you don't think are very good. 

44 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are we really 4-4-2 ?

I see more of a fluid 4-2-3-1

Maybe, I think football at premier league level has moved away from playing a number formation, it is more complex than a 442 or 4231, but my point was mostly that we play with 2 holding midfielders, not three, all indications are that Tielemans will be deployed in that role. 

• Like 2

Unai Emery’s tactical tweak might have cured one of Aston Villa’s biggest headaches - The Athletic

"This suggests Emery wants Torres to play in a back three shape regardless, where he can use his passing angles in more advanced positions and safeguard the initial shortcomings he might face.

Broadly speaking, his perceived biggest weaknesses are in the air and his physicality. By Emery having an additional imposing centre-back alongside him, possibly both Konsa and Mings, it should alleviate the concerns in acclimatising to the Premier League

Konsa’s positioning at right centre-back bares resemblance to Juan Foyth’s role under Emery at Villarreal, being a centre-back comfortable when dragged into wide areas. Calum Chambers did the same on Thursday night against Lazio"

Excellent article. Really points out that if Torres starts it will be as one of 3 CBs. Torres, Mings, Konsa, Cash or Digne, Torres, Carlos, Konsa. Or even Digne, Torres, Mings, Konsa

So he is not one of 2 CBs on the pitch, he is always there with 2 others and he is always the left sided CB in a functional back 3 in posession

Edited by CVByrne

Â