Ratings & Reactions: Sheff Utd v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/03/21 at 23:59

13 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Horror show is a bit dramatic, bad night at the office unfortunately. Sometimes you have to credit the opposition, we aren’t good enough to expect to sweep aside any team in the prem when we are off our game, our away record has been great but we can’t win every one.

How is that dramatic? Its bad enough to lose to the worst team in the league  (who have only win three games all season before yesterday) but them with 10 men is absolutely criminal. The rubbish passing and garbage crossing all game was inexcusable. We are not playing chelsea we are playing sheffield united. 

One thing that annoyed me is smith just standing there like a plumb. He should have been going berzerk yesterday. How many misplace passes did targett make? Simple passes that were over hit?

Or crosses just to ramsdale like it wss a training session?

It was a horror show there is no dramatic it was outlr worst performance if the season and saying it happens. It doesnt to good sides trying to aim for europe losing to the worst team in the league who had 10 men.

Something has happened to McGinn this season, he’s just not involved in many games. He was ok against Leeds and seemed a lot more involved but last night he just wasn’t in the game again. Sanson has to be given a chance in that role now, it’s definitely become a weak link in the team and he should not be starting every game without question.

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

How is that dramatic? Its bad enough to lose to the worst team in the league  (who have only win three games all season before yesterday) but them with 10 men is absolutely criminal. The rubbish passing and garbage crossing all game was inexcusable. We are not playing chelsea we are playing sheffield united. 

One thing that annoyed me is smith just standing there like a plumb. He should have been going berzerk yesterday. How many misplace passes did targett make? Simple passes that were over hit?

It was a horror show there is no dramatic it was outlr worst performance if the season and saying it happens. It doesnt to good sides trying to aim for europe losing to the worst team in the league who had 10 men.

It was one of those games where everyone had a 5/10 game, yes it’s frustrating but that’s football, Man U couldn’t score past an average Palace last night either. You can analyze it to death or just accept that our squad isn’t good enough to just brush teams aside unfortunately. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

It was one of those games where everyone had a 5/10 game, yes it’s frustrating but that’s football, Man U couldn’t score past an average Palace last night either. You can analyze it to death or just accept that our squad isn’t good enough to just brush teams aside unfortunately. 

I get your points dan. Not expecting wins galore but last night was criminal. We nhad enough quality to win that game against 11 men let alone 10 of theirs.

Whats worrying for me is how much the squad is reliant on grealish. We have enough quality to win games without jack. Its very disappointing that the likes of mcginn barkley and traore cant seem to take ownership in jacks presence.

Mcginns been so inconsistent since that injury. Hasnt looked same player since

9 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Something has happened to McGinn this season, he’s just not involved in many games. He was ok against Leeds and seemed a lot more involved but last night he just wasn’t in the game again. Sanson has to be given a chance in that role now, it’s definitely become a weak link in the team and he should not be starting every game without question.

He looked better last season because we were fighting relegation.

He has looked worse this season because we want to push for top 6 and he is just not a top 6 midfielder.

Luiz is the best midfielder at the club and needs to start every game.

Edited by villalad21

Now we are down to squad players, the football can quickly turn to pointless crossing and heads dropping. The lack of a leader on the park last night allowed the rest to under perform and do the same thing all night without any result. It was collective crap and no way out for the players, this is not new to the villa we have just had a break for a time, the wall had to come and now dean has to find a way to lift them and get the hunger back. Sleepless in Sheffield.

10 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

The problem is, Sheffield are bottom and had ten men. I'd wager most other teams would smash them.

We also **** up first half against Southampton who have turned out to be not-so-great; couldn't beat Burnley or Brighton over 4 games, and they are almost as bad as Sheffield.

And got humped by Dirty Leeds, who really aren't all that.

This is why the fans are annoyed. Too many points surrendered to sides we are better than. Especially last night!

Very frustrating but no surprise. Everytime we get in a good position to push on in the league, we slip up. Fair play to the Blades for busting a gut last night and not giving up. I fear it is too late for them now and such a shame if Sheffield were without representation in the Prem.

A few  of things i noted last night.

• As well as missing Jack, the loss of Matty Cash is also really hurting us. He gives us an extra dimension. Last night, most of the attacking was down the other side with Targett pushing us forward. Get well soon Matt.
  • Our crossing was very poor last night. We seemed unable to pick out a target and hit it. The ball just seemed to be lumped in. It's not as though we have John Carew to aim at. Even our free kicks did not threaten the equaliser.
  • If were were to win only one match in Yorkshire, we picked the right one😃
  • Hard to pick a man of the match for us. Nobody really excelled. Gave it to Konsa as he just got on with being Konsa.

We need to get back on track by beating the Dingles. UTV.

• Like 1

Biggest gripe was the delay in reaction to the red card, we should have matched their 441 with a 442 and put Davis on, I do feel sometimes for all the expertise we have on the touchline it can delay decisions as there is always a big meeting around it

Other issue responding to some of the above was that these are the teams we struggle to break down and with no Jack and Barkley not performing you can clearly see where we need to buy in the summer unless Smith believes Sanson is that man, playing teams like Wolves who will dominate the ball continues to suit us as they bring the game

Anyway, its done, we are on 39 points and we are on a journey of improvement - Some need to calm down a bit

58 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Didn't they beat a Man United side at the time who were top ? It does happen

Posting now the apoplectic rage has died a little. 

Honestly we could have been in for a truly historic season if we hadn't dropped so many effing point to the absolute no hoper teams of the division. I can think of 10 points in a second we should have had but just never showed up. 

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Worth noting that it's entirely possible to be completely on board with Dean Smith, what we're doing as a club, the direction we're heading in and the players in general; and still be incredibly frustrated and angry about last night's result.

The comments about people being overly dramatic and the wheels coming off are largely wide of the mark.

Most of us are 100% with the manager and the team. Doesn't mean we're not allowed to be pissed off about last night

I think you would be hard pressed to find a fan who wasn’t thoroughly p***ed off with last night but posting in the heat of the moment about how animated Dean was at certain points of the game is nothing more than misplaced frustration. As I said you can analyze a game til the cows come home but unless it’s a clear and obvious error from a player sometimes you have to just accept that’s how football goes sometimes, we have a certain level of player in our team and when you take out possibly the two best performers this season it’s easy to see why we came away from this with nothing.

How frustrating was that? Not for the first time this season I was screaming at the tv. Aimlessly lumping balls into the box was criminal. 

I had a feeling we were going to come unstuck when the BT sport pundits Chris Sutton, Karen Carney & Joe Cole were talking Villa up as Champions League candidates before the game started.

Very bad day at the office. Not looking forward to Wolves on Saturday.

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

I think you would be hard pressed to find a fan who wasn’t thoroughly p***ed off with last night but posting in the heat of the moment about how animated Dean was at certain points of the game is nothing more than misplaced frustration. As I said you can analyze a game til the cows come home but unless it’s a clear and obvious error from a player sometimes you have to just accept that’s how football goes sometimes, we have a certain level of player in our team and when you take out possibly the two best performers this season it’s easy to see why we came away from this with nothing.

Missing two players is no excuse for losing to one of the worst teams the premier league has ever seen. There's no excuse

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

The problem is, Sheffield are bottom and had ten men. I'd wager most other teams would smash them.

We also **** up first half against Southampton who have turned out to be not-so-great; couldn't beat Burnley or Brighton over 4 games, and they are almost as bad as Sheffield.

And got humped by Dirty Leeds, who really aren't all that.

This is why the fans are annoyed. Too many points surrendered to sides we are better than. Especially last night!

Sheffield United don’t get smashed. They’re well disciplined and have been pretty unlucky this season (and also pretty toothless). They’re a good side when down to 10 men as defensive organisation is a strong point - see vs. us at the start of the season.

The problem for me was the lack of ideas. It needed play through the middle of the park and someone to actually do something, but the forward players seemed to run away from the ball and the width wasn’t creative enough to get decent crosses away. Barkley was the only one trying anything like what we needed to do. 

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Missing two players is no excuse for losing to one of the worst teams the premier league has ever seen. There's no excuse

I think there’s worse teams than them this season to be honest. 

Â