General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

45 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Automatic booking along with the free kick?

Not that I’m an advocate for removing penalties. Just offering a further deterrent. A team would have to take it turns to commit a foul in the area to avoid a red card.

It wouldn’t be a solution without its own problems.

I don’t think it happens often enough for that to really matter.

Players “take one for the team” - you’d just ensure they did it inside the box rather than just outside to get the indirect free kick award over a direct one.

I don’t think the penalty problem is even a problem.

SSN now doing a section on weekend ref decisions. They may as well call "Decisions that went against the big 6".

That's why they get every **** 40/60 the wrong way going their way. Because every single time they don't it's shouted about.

On 20/08/2023 at 08:28, bobzy said:

So why didn’t Man Utd get a penalty against Spurs, and then end up losing the game?

Spurs are also one of those 6 clubs so the point is mute. As I said in the post most of the decisions that go against them are when they play another of the favoured clubs. Man Utd Spurs falls into that catergory.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

SSN now doing a section on weekend ref decisions. They may as well call "Decisions that went against the big 6".

That's why they get every **** 40/60 the wrong way going their way. Because every single time they don't it's shouted about.

This'll no doubt be to facilitate the cover up now that it's becoming so blatantly obvious to more people. They did the same with Dermott Gallaghers weekly cover up session. 

• Like 1

Just caught up on the weekend's mistakes, good stuff.

• Liverpool - ridiculous dive. Kane would be proud.
  • Romero - handball, arms in the air blocking a shot on goal.
  • MacAllister - harsh red.
  • Arsenal - very harsh second yellow (haven't seen first).
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Only 4? I'm sure they'll be delighted with that, it's usually more 😅

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

MacAllister, for mine, is a nailed on red. Late, high, studs up.

• Like 2

Well Rakow Czestochowa have just been absolutely shafted in their CL play off against Copenhagen.

VAR offside but I can't find the thread and anyway it's more of an objective decision, but if this is offside then what **** rules are we playing?

On 21/08/2023 at 11:50, danceoftheshamen said:

Spurs are also one of those 6 clubs so the point is mute. As I said in the post most of the decisions that go against them are when they play another of the favoured clubs. Man Utd Spurs falls into that catergory.

Please explain the Tomiyasu red card given for Arsenal. 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Please explain the Tomiyasu red card given for Arsenal. 

Well of course Bobzy there are the odd ones which still go against, although 90% of the time this is when they play against another of those 6 clubs namely: Man U, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Man City & Chelsea. (No surprises that this was the ill fated "Euro Super League "Breakaway 6).

Out of all those I would say Man Utd are the clear front runners, regards being given a huge helping hand, followed by Liverpool the London clubs & City.  Now of course the odd decision goes against those breakaway 6 clubs, but very seldom (by comparison) & when it does it rarely impacts the result of the game or results in a "goal against" so to speak. So the sending off against Palace (which I agree was incorrect) didn't really impact the result. There was in the same game however a big penalty appeal for Palace towards the end which would have impacted the result, which rightly or wrongly wasn't given. My point is that had the tables been turned and that scenario was played out at Arsenals ground with them 0-1 down, then that penalty almost certainly would have been given resulting in a 1-1 draw....We saw this at Anfield when Liverpool were 0-1 down, got back to 1-1 & were then given the most pathetic penalty for a blatantly clear dive! 

Anyhow, Clearly we have differing viewpoints on it Bobzy which I respect. I have however been watching this dodgyness for years now and it is actually really obvious when you take everything into account. Looking at it decision by decision doesn't enable you to see the overall pattern but when you look at it over the course of a few seasons, (not just Villa games, that's not my point at all) then it is very clear that those teams get a huge benefit from a ridiculous number of big decisions across a season. We are what 2 weeks in? Already Man U got a win when they should only have at best 1 point. Liverpool received a helping hand too at home to Bournemouth with the game 1-1. Multiply that up over a season & you can see the impact it has. 

Are we supposed to ignore that?

So yes there will be the odd decision, like the sending off in the Arsenal game, but the averages over a season and even moreso over several seasons make it as clear as day that something is amiss.

1 hour ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Well of course Bobzy there are the odd ones which still go against, although 90% of the time this is when they play against another of those 6 clubs namely: Man U, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Man City & Chelsea. (No surprises that this was the ill fated "Euro Super League "Breakaway 6).

Out of all those I would say Man Utd are the clear front runners, regards being given a huge helping hand, followed by Liverpool the London clubs & City.  Now of course the odd decision goes against those breakaway 6 clubs, but very seldom (by comparison) & when it does it rarely impacts the result of the game or results in a "goal against" so to speak. So the sending off against Palace (which I agree was incorrect) didn't really impact the result. There was in the same game however a big penalty appeal for Palace towards the end which would have impacted the result, which rightly or wrongly wasn't given. My point is that had the tables been turned and that scenario was played out at Arsenals ground with them 0-1 down, then that penalty almost certainly would have been given resulting in a 1-1 draw....We saw this at Anfield when Liverpool were 0-1 down, got back to 1-1 & were then given the most pathetic penalty for a blatantly clear dive! 

Anyhow, Clearly we have differing viewpoints on it Bobzy which I respect. I have however been watching this dodgyness for years now and it is actually really obvious when you take everything into account. Looking at it decision by decision doesn't enable you to see the overall pattern but when you look at it over the course of a few seasons, (not just Villa games, that's not my point at all) then it is very clear that those teams get a huge benefit from a ridiculous number of big decisions across a season. We are what 2 weeks in? Already Man U got a win when they should only have at best 1 point. Liverpool received a helping hand too at home to Bournemouth with the game 1-1. Multiply that up over a season & you can see the impact it has. 

Are we supposed to ignore that?

So yes there will be the odd decision, like the sending off in the Arsenal game, but the averages over a season and even moreso over several seasons make it as clear as day that something is amiss.

Yeah, I think dodgy decisions just happen absolutely all over the shop with no rhyme or reason against big club bias (there have been two incidents which have made me question this generally; a Newcastle player (Almiron?) getting taken out by the Man City keeper and the Onana incident a week or so ago).  People just remember the ones which happen in favour of the big teams as a form of confirmation bias.

r.e: your "so far this season" commentary; Liverpool receiving a helping hand against Bournemouth is an absolute nonsense to be honest.  The Mac Allister red card was the only glaring error in that game and that went in favour of the little club, Bournemouth.  I have no doubt that contact for the Liverpool penalty was nowhere near enough to send <the Hungarian with the tough name> flying, but we'd be wanting a penalty if it happened to a Villa player.  With the Palace vs Arsenal game - Arsenal 1-0 up but Tomiyasu very, very harshly sent off.  Completely changed how the game was played, but Palace couldn't punish Arsenal despite a sustained period of pressure.  You also had Man Utd not getting a penalty against Spurs (right decision IMO), which is going against the "bigger club".

So I make that 2 clear errors in favour of the smaller club, 1 in favour of the bigger club (Onana foul) and 1 which went the way of the slightly smaller club but wasn't necessarily a glaring error.

I mean... it's hardly conclusive evidence, is it?

11 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Studs were not up, at all, he’s tried to play the ball with his instep, it was high yes but not overly dangerous 

i thought both players actually went to kick the ball in the same way, they tried to side foot it, the bournemouth player just got there first, in theory if macallister was quicker the bournemouth player would have done exactly the same and kicked macallister and been sent off

Gary Lineker and Mike Dean disagree over Alexis Mac Allister red card in  Liverpool win | Football | Sport | Express.co.uk

Simple solution - Penalties should be worth half a goal. They take less skill, teamwork, and are more subjectively given than a regular goal from open play and therefore should be awarded accordingly.

At the minute, like mentioned above, the reward for getting penalty is too high and tempting for most teams so why not try to cheat your way to one. 

6 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Simple solution - Penalties should be worth half a goal. They take less skill, teamwork, and are more subjectively given than a regular goal from open play and therefore should be awarded accordingly.

At the minute, like mentioned above, the reward for getting penalty is too high and tempting for most teams so why not try to cheat your way to one. 

agree but disagree with the solution

they should  at least give more of a chance to the defending team, I always like the idea that after a penalty the ball is dead, so no rebounds if the keeper saves it

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i thought both players actually went to kick the ball in the same way, they tried to side foot it, the bournemouth player just got there first, in theory if macallister was quicker the bournemouth player would have done exactly the same and kicked macallister and been sent off

Gary Lineker and Mike Dean disagree over Alexis Mac Allister red card in  Liverpool win | Football | Sport | Express.co.uk

But his red would not have been successfully appealed 😉

• Like 1

Â