England v Rep of Ireland/Belgium v England/England v Iceland

andykeenan

Also, in an unironic way can I say how good I thought Mason Mount was :) Yes, really. I thought he was really purposeful and incisive in the middle of the park. Quick transitions and got England on the front foot very quickly. His initial pass often dictated how quickly the attack happened, and his general use of the ball was top notch.

In a way, Southgate has a job figuring out who really is his best team rather than his best 11 players, because we know those 2 things are rarely the same list.

• Like 1

I thought Jack did okay, his positioning was interesting - he was played on the left hand side but Saka played so far up the pitch that for the first twenty minutes Jack was forced inside and was pretty much playing as centre forward - he then started to go wandering in order to get better involved and relaxed into the game - for me Saka played too far forward at times and was interfering rather than supporting. The thing about Jack is that whenever he's on the field for England, as a viewer, you're pretty much watching the game waiting for him to have the ball - he has that extra something that everyone wants to see. 

I thought Mings looked composed and organised and relaxed - that's the thing both of them have, it's hard to imagine a game big enough to overawe this pair.

35 minutes ago, BOF said:

Also, in an unironic way can I say how good I thought Mason Mount was :) Yes, really. I thought he was really purposeful and incisive in the middle of the park. Quick transitions and got England on the front foot very quickly. His initial pass often dictated how quickly the attack happened, and his general use of the ball was top notch.

In a way, Southgate has a job figuring out who really is his best team rather than his best 11 players, because we know those 2 things are rarely the same list.

Of course Mount was excellent, he is an excellent player that should be starting for England.

The problem is that position will be given to Declan Rice come the Euros. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought Jack did okay, his positioning was interesting - he was played on the left hand side but Saka played so far up the pitch that for the first twenty minutes Jack was forced inside and was pretty much playing as centre forward - he then started to go wandering in order to get better involved and relaxed into the game - for me Saka played too far forward at times and was interfering rather than supporting. The thing about Jack is that whenever he's on the field for England, as a viewer, you're pretty much watching the game waiting for him to have the ball - he has that extra something that everyone wants to see. 

i thought that was design and was actually the best thing about england, thats how we should play wing backs

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought Mings looked composed and organised and relaxed - that's the thing both of them have, it's hard to imagine a game big enough to overawe this pair.

Yeah he was, and he also did that thing where his momentary narcolepsy nonchalance let the ball go completely under his foot a few times and he had to jog back to retrieve it. It wouldn't be a Mings display without the odd palpitation.

Ireland were hopeless and honestly nobody coming back in will improve the team except Coleman. Havent really produced a player since the Keane, Duff, Dunne, Given, O'Shea generation and not much coming through ad a gamechanger. 

McGoldrick was a loss as well retiring, he gives the players somebody that will hold the ball up front. Last night young Idah tried but had no support

The best players and formation I can think of for England tonight is

Pope

Walker  Coady   Mings   Saka

Henderson

Mount        Rice

Sancho      Kane      Grealish

How much better would that team be with Cash and Konsa at the back and Barkley in for Rice?

On 13/11/2020 at 10:38, BOF said:

I ended up watching this one in the end.  It's the worst I've seen Ireland play in donkeys years. Maybe even ever. And I've seen some shit over my time. What struck me was that it wasn't even remotely competitive. We played the role of minnow. I have never seen us play as a minnow against England, or against anyone really. We always give it a go, however foolhardy that might be. We always have belief in ourselves, but this was damage limitation from the off. Now OK we were missing half our team which is the one small crumb of comfort. We don't have anywhere near the strength in depth to be missing half our team and not feel it badly. We struggle to provide Premier League players when we're at full strength. But this friendly was a hiding to nothing in so many ways. And if reports are true, it will have done serious damage to our seedings too, so the damage goes deeper than the result on the night.  England showed their ability and their own strength in depth. And congratulations to Gareth for realising 2 midfielders can play alongside each other. He has almost evolved into a coach who can comfortably accommodate his leading talent. He's almost almost not shit any more. But still very limited. He can be thankful for the generation of players at his disposal.

It was a friendly. I'm pretty sure they have no effect on seedings.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

"competitive game"

In reality Nations League are just glorified friendlies.

They are effectively qualifiers for the World Cup. I'd say that's pretty different to a friendly. Especially for the likes of Scotland etc.

No idea why we played the actual friendly against Ireland though. Playing international friendlies during a pandemic is taking the p***.

2 hours ago, Greenfly said:

It was a friendly. I'm pretty sure they have no effect on seedings.

They do, Ireland losing to England has pushed them down to Pot 3 while not playing we would have stayed in Pot2

21 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Hold on, is this true?  The Nations League qualifies you for the next World Cup???

You can earn WC qualification by winning the A Leagues or a play off place for finishing runners up.

"The ten group winners after the first round (group stage) will qualify directly for the World Cup. Then, the second round (play-offs) will be contested by the ten group runners-up, along with the best two Nations League group winners, based on the Nations League overall ranking, that finished outside the top two of their qualifying group.[9] The play-offs will be split into three play-off paths, played in two single-match knockout rounds (semi-finals and finals, with the home teams to be drawn), from which an additional three teams will also qualify.[2]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_UEFA_Nations_League

Edited by One For The Road

Â