Wrexham AFC - Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhenney

Wezbid

I think they've been caught by a slight cultural difference here - chucking people/teams/organisations under the bus isnt a "British" thing. Americans are generally into that cheap shot mentality.

It's obviously deliberately done, but Im not sure they did it with the malice that's being assumed.

I find them/the whole thing interesting - it's a bit like real life Football Manager.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Pretty much all teams used to (I haven’t been to a live game in some time). You had category pricing for those games where you were likely to sell more tickets (Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool etc in the Prem).

As I’ve posted earlier, basically all League One and below sides are just loss makers. Not quite scraping for survival, but loss makers. They can benefit from Wrexham’s increased presence by charging more for fans - 5,200 turned up to see Accrington win. That £25k or so is huge to them - it’s not huge to Wrexham; they’re comparatively loaded.

There was absolutely zero need for Wrexham to come out and make a statement about Accrington charging more. If they wanted to just apply a discount, they could’ve done it for the return fixture.

It’s clever PR - make Wrexham look good and Accrington like filthy profiteers.

Fair enough. 

Two more questions: 1. Why would Wrexham care whether Accrington look like filthy profiteers?

2. (Appreciate this is not a question) Explain why it is not profiteering.

Cambridge dictionary definition  of profiteering:

"The act of taking advantage of a situation in order to make a profit, usually by charging high prices for things people need"

Accrington have made themselves look like profiteers....by profiteering. Whether or not Wrexham are guilty of anything else, they can't throw a bitch strop cos someone has called them out on something they are clearly doing. Once again, whether anyone else is also doing it is irrelevant.

Nobody knows if Accrington are profiteering. People are speculating that they are.

All we know is that they had a lot more fans in the ground. This would have put more money through the turnstiles and likely meant more sold in the stadium.

We also know this required them to spend more on security etc. However we don't know how much more this would have cost them.

They charged an extra £5 per fan. We don't know if this caused them to make more money than the extra security cost or if they broke even or made a loss.

Is what Accrington have done profiteering, who knows. But if it is, so what? They owe absolutely nothing to Wrexham or their fans (they possibly owe them less than nothing for financially disrupting the league). They're also desperately in need of cash themselves so it's understandable they'd put prices up and they've not singled Wrexham out in any way as they've done it to other clubs.

We know Wrexham offered to reduce the return price by £5. This doesn't appear to require evidence of attending the away game and I'm not sure how that supports their season ticket holders.

Is it a nice gesture by Wrexham? Definitely. Is it also marketing spin? Probably. Did they need to post it online and cause a fuss? Debatable. But in doing so they have again driven discussion on their club and made them noticeable. Which they shouldn't be.

Football is a business nowadays and it's cut throat in the lower leagues. I don't think anyone is a bad guy in this.

50 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Fair enough. 

Two more questions: 1. Why would Wrexham care whether Accrington look like filthy profiteers?

2. (Appreciate this is not a question) Explain why it is not profiteering.

Cambridge dictionary definition  of profiteering:

"The act of taking advantage of a situation in order to make a profit, usually by charging high prices for things people need"

Accrington have made themselves look like profiteers....by profiteering. Whether or not Wrexham are guilty of anything else, they can't throw a bitch strop cos someone has called them out on something they are clearly doing. Once again, whether anyone else is also doing it is irrelevant.

1. I don’t know why they’d care. Why are they making social media posts showing that Accrington charged more? They shouldn’t care.

2. It is. The same way sides charge more for watching “bigger clubs”. It’s nothing new. There’s no story here. No other side (to my knowledge?) has come out and slated another one for charging more. Feel free to correct this though. 

I don't get the extra security cost thing. 

So The normal £20 cost is enough to cover the security costs for the normal number of fans, say 1,500 that normally turn up. 

Does the security company turn around and say we need x amount for that security but now you want more operatives they cost not only more than our normal x fee but SO much more that we need not just £5 more per head for those extra fans but also for the original 1,500 fans as well? 

Doesn't add up for me.  How much does a security guard earn per hour? It's not the best paid of jobs is it. How many do they need to hire? 

The standard charge already includes the security cost, I don't believe they charge so much more that everyone needs to pay £5 more. 

It sounds like profiteering to me and using security costs as an excuse.  Why not just be honest about it? There's huge ticket demand here so we're suppling them at a cost. 

But I don't think it's very classy of Wrexham. It's a cheap publicity stunt when they (whatever they say) are much better off than Accrington. 

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't get the extra security cost thing. 

So The normal £20 cost is enough to cover the security costs for the normal number of fans, say 1,500 that normally turn up. 

Does the security company turn around and say we need x amount for that security but now you want more operatives they cost not only more than our normal x fee but SO much more that we need not just £5 more per head for those extra fans but also for the original 1,500 fans as well? 

Doesn't add up for me.  How much does a security guard earn per hour? It's not the best paid of jobs is it. How many do they need to hire? 

The standard charge already includes the security cost, I don't believe they charge so much more that everyone needs to pay £5 more. 

It sounds like profiteering to me and using security costs as an excuse.  Why not just be honest about it? There's huge ticket demand here so we're suppling them at a cost. 

But I don't think it's very classy of Wrexham. It's a cheap publicity stunt when they (whatever they say) are much better off than Accrington. 

Well its 20 quid when the opposition brings the usual 500 fans. Wrexham brought 2500 yesterday so a lot more security was needed

Costs also go to the Police 

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well its 20 quid when the opposition brings the usual 500 fans. Wrexham brought 2500 yesterday so a lot more security was needed

Costs also go to the Police 

Yes, but the normal £20 covers it for other games. 

For most things the big charge is in the upfront set up costs. One security men or 10 there's going to be a minimum cost.  Then generally the more of it you buy it gets cheaper per unit / person. 

Stands to reason that the cost per guard of hiring 200 security guards should be cheaper than the cost of hiring 10 security guards.   I'm at a loss to understand why that cost per head would increase, and increase substantially. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Zatman said:

Not really but Accrington increased the prices by £5 last season for teams that brought a large following and none of them acted how Wrexham have here.

Its disgraceful from Wrexham especially as Accrington are not funded by millionaires and Amazon documentaries

So ok lets say for Accrington and then the next away game the rest of league wants them to chip in as well.

Its nit disgraceful at all. Their focus is wrexham. Do villa chip and pay for security for luton town ?

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

So ok lets say for Accrington and then the next away game the rest of league wants them to chip in as well.

Its nit disgraceful at all. Their focus is wrexham. Do villa chip and pay for security for luton town ?

If you are getting favours for YOUR fans then you should not be ungrateful

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I love how the same suspects are always criticising wrexham but not once say anything about notts county

Have Notts Countz made a statement criticising other clubs ticket prices? 

Also taking to X, club chairman Andy Holt said: "When costs are already high. Wrexham the last thing football needs is stupid mistimed statements. It’s surprising how stupid given a former CEO of EFL [Shaun Harvey] is employed by you.

"Let’s have a great day for all fans safely, whatever the outcome on the pitch. Welcome to Accrington Stanley."

When asked by a fan on X whether Accrington had raised the prices for other clubs that have sizeable followings such as Bolton last season in League One, Holt responded: "Yes we did.

"It’ll be £20 next year if we meet again. The allocation will be lower but the max we can give without all the extra costs. Easy sorted."

https://talksport.com/football/1646082/wrexham-acrrington-stanley-stupid-ticket-row/

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Have Notts Countz made a statement criticising other clubs ticket prices? 

Why havent notts county been asked to pay for security? I mean if wrexham were not there last sesson they would have pribbably got 150 points and walked the league.

Not sure what your beef is with them. You dont acknowledge that they saved that club. Its just another way to criticise them.

We can hardly talk we had a massive advantage in the championship 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I'm not sure on the parallels here?

Just that they have as a good a team as wrexham did and have a lot of money compared to the rest of the teams in the leagues.

Other than that small detail absolutely nothing 😃

Â