U23 Development League 2020/2021

BOF

On 18/09/2020 at 15:48, barry'sboots said:

I imagine if what Purslow says goes and it looks like it with the new signings, we have every chance of getting beaten fairly regularly.  A load of 16 year olds up against 21, 22, 23 year olds and some overage players means that, even if they are the best 16 year olds in the country, we are going to struggle.  But I absolutely get why he wants to be there and it is more important we are getting one quality player a year out of the youth system than winning youth cups.

ditto

It's more beneficial to us to have a U23 team where we perhaps lose more regularly than we'd like with a team of sixteen and seventeen year olds but a couple of them are stand out performers, readying them for either an eventual loan or for our first team, than it is to have an U23 team full of nineteen and twenty plus year olds who are always winning because they find it too easy at that level and aren't challenging themselves and as a consequence won't be as ready for the first team.

You only have to look at our team that won the NextGen Series which was meant to be like the youth version of the champions league, whilst it was nice to win that trophy, it wasn't really an indicator as to how succesful the players as individuals would be in senior football, Grealish and Robinson are the only ones currently playing in the premier league, Daniel Johnson is in the championship but the rest are either in the lower leagues, without clubs or aren't even playing anymore.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, siminjo said:

Our average age in the match was 18,15, Readings`s was 18,79

Yes, but I think we are just at the start of the journey/strategy.  Lots of younger new signings this summer who will take a bit of time to get used to the club and each other and still some legacy players that might not fit Purslow's strategy.

The youth set up is just starting to evolve.

• Like 1

Reading stats updated. It seems Archer took a shot which was deflected in by Nelson Abbey, so using fantasy rules I've given Archer the assist.  Surely Reading's opening goalscorer starred in one of the Harry Potters or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Augustus McGiff.

Next up is a trip to Selhurst Park this Friday at 7

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Kingman said:

Cameron Archer has moved to National League Solihull Moors on loan until January 3 

I guess with Barry now fit and Bogarde and Shakpoke available there's a need to make room for everyone to develop - hopefully it'll do him good - his pace might give him a real advantage there.

• Like 1

Tonight's game against Palace is available to watch live on their channels for £3.00.

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2020/october/watch-crystal-palace-under-23s-v-aston-villa-live/

How can I watch?

All supporters can purchase a one-off, pay-per-view pass to watch the match. For just £3, this pass can be purchased from 10:00am BST today (Friday 2nd), and will enable you to watch the broadcast via your phone, tablet or desktop.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I guess with Barry now fit and Bogarde and Shakpoke available there's a need to make room for everyone to develop - hopefully it'll do him good - his pace might give him a real advantage there.

Yeah another one to keep an eye on for the future, I can only remember him coming on against Crewe in the cup last season. 

Edited by Kingman