Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

10 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Could well have the record by the end of next season 

He could well have it by the end of this calendar year.

Just now, Mantis said:

He could well have it by the end of this calendar year.

He could well have it by the end of this season.

45 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Could well have the record by the end of next season 

He'll do well to get to 230+ goals that Billy Walker has for us :P 

23 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

image.png.314a54f46a5590ab0c0137f1182f38a9.png

I don't really get the list as it's missing players who have scored a lot more goals than thst for Villa 

Just now, PaulC said:

I don't really get the list as it's missing players who have scored a lot more goals than thst for Villa 

Same. Randomly got Jonny Dixon in but not Peter McParland who played in the same line up and had more goals!

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

I've always thought he lacked consistency.

Not the consistency of scoring every single week - very few in the world are at that level. The consistency of striking the ball, even in the same match. Sometimes a good hit, other times scuffed, dragged or mistimed.

The last few weeks he's been hitting the ball incredibly true. Away at Fulham he absolutely cracked one past the keeper. Against Forest he struck one beautifully but just wide. His second today wasn't a pure instep shot, he curled it beyond the keeper with accuracy and pace.

We know he tends to have "streaky" form, but I wonder if this is less to do with a streak and more to do with hard work. If it IS the latter, the streaky form will disappear too and he'll be scoring like Harry Kane.

And if/when that happens, he'll have to be in that top bracket of strikers with the likes of Haaland, Kane and Salah. Which is **** incredible when you look at his journey compared to theirs.

Go on son!

I don't think his form is any more "streaky" than any other striker. It's just natural that goals will come in clusters. Even the Haaland / Messi type strikers will have purple patches where they get 2 or 3 goals per game.

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Not the consistency of scoring every single week - very few in the world are at that level. The consistency of striking the ball, even in the same match. Sometimes a good hit, other times scuffed, dragged or mistimed.

The last few weeks he's been hitting the ball incredibly true. Away at Fulham he absolutely cracked one past the keeper. Against Forest he struck one beautifully but just wide. His second today wasn't a pure instep shot, he curled it beyond the keeper with accuracy and pace.

We know he tends to have "streaky" form, but I wonder if this is less to do with a streak and more to do with hard work. If it IS the latter, the streaky form will disappear too and he'll be scoring like Harry Kane.

And if/when that happens, he'll have to be in that top bracket of strikers with the likes of Haaland, Kane and Salah. Which is **** incredible when you look at his journey compared to theirs.

Go on son!

The finish for the second was God damn beautiful

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Go on son!

I think it helps that he’s being played as a striker. 

His ability being minimum 7-8/10 in different facets of his game meant that both Deano and Gerrard used him in a Swiss Army knife sort of way. Here - go play wide forward, play on the right, play on the left, carry the ball, press like a madman, etc. 

But Unai, who has developed many an excellent 9’s clearly saw in him that yes you can do those things Ollie, but most of all - I need you to be in a position to score goals. 

So he’s still got a lot of tools to pull out in his bag of tricks, but he’s finally been told to focus on the thing that makes a difference - scoring. 

• Like 1

He's come on massively under Unai and is looking the complete striker now. 

Really good attitude and hopefully gets the magic 20 for the season along with Villa finishing 4th.

• Like 1

We are getting to a scary territory of calling him world class especially more for people that are desperate to sell him at any opportunity. I would be appalled though unsurprised if he isnt nominated for player of the year

At the moment he is probably in the top 5 centre forwards in the world. Goals, assists, work rate, winning big defensive headers, he has everything at the moment

Wherever we finish, whatever we do this summer, for me, making sure any offer for Ollie is met with a resounding no is the biggest priority. 

I would not swap him for any other striker on the planet. He does a bit of everything, I can't think of another player in his position who does that. 

To think I saw him play for my local side Weston-super-Mare when he was about 18, on loan from Exeter to where he is now, on the verge of firing us into the Champions League, is mental and a brilliant story. He also comes across as a lovely, lovely bloke in any interview he's done. 

What a player. 

Edited by UpTheVilla26
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

The finish for the second was God damn beautiful

And he knew he was onside. He's become a very aware smart intelligent footballer. That's got to be down to Emery. Right now he's better than Kane but won't be in Southgates eyes.

• Like 3

Â