Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

43 minutes ago, bobzy said:

But it's not a creative piece of play like a cross.  As I said before, if anything it's a defensive error.  Instead of just counting "own goals", we should start with "own assists" for given away penalties or those terrible backpasses which lead to goals.

What about if the forward uses a bit of skill to get past only to be fouled? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Where can he be hearing them? It's certainly not at games.

Game of opinions isn't it.

I couldn't give a **** if he scores 0 more goals this season if he starts playing well. He is not playing well, and still didn't today.

Even if his goal was lucky. He was lucky to get a second opportunity and even that went through the keeper's legs ;)

*takes cover*

3 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Not really a fan of the "hasn't scored in x games" framing of things when it spans two separate seasons. Just comes across as arbitrarily cherry-picking the numbers in order to be as critical as possible. 

Especially when it is repeatedly stated incorrectly as 11 games by the same poster, he scored the goal that clinched Europe for us on the last day of last season.

5 minutes ago, mole86 said:

Especially when it is repeatedly stated incorrectly as 11 games by the same poster, he scored the goal that clinched Europe for us on the last day of last season.

Me? That was his 1 in 12.

Edited by Tom13

2 hours ago, Indigo said:

Not really a fan of the "hasn't scored in x games" framing of things when it spans two separate seasons. Just comes across as arbitrarily cherry-picking the numbers in order to be as critical as possible. 

The build up to the game yesterday before kick off, the BBC also had the same stat in their head to head section too.

I guess they also must be cherry picking the numbers in order to also be as critical as possible against him.  🤪

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Great finish. He's contributed with assists and just his pressing game in general helps the team in a subtle way. 

There's barely any middle ground on here, either shite or great when it's not like that. 

I actually don’t think his pressing game is close to what it was in the second half of last season.  Maybe Emery is wanting him to conserve his energy more, im not sure

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The build up to the game yesterday before kick off, the BBC also had the same stat in their head to head section too.

I guess they also must be cherry picking the numbers in order to also be as critical as possible against him.  🤪

Well... yes, of course they are :D  If you're going to show a stat about something, you make it as exaggerated as possible.

The same reason that people talk about Watkins' league goals this season because scoring elsewhere doesn't count.

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Bit of a false equivalence, but if they were also doing so in the context of criticising his contributions so far this season then I'd probably say so, yeah.

😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜

We've scored 12 goals 1 more than Arsenal which has us 6th most goals in the league and Watkins is leading the line and had a part in 5 of the them. I joked early in season with Buendia injured people would have to find other players to complain about but didn't think people would be this ridiculous but it's VT so I was being delusional

5 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Bit of a false equivalence, but if they were also doing so in the context of criticising his contributions so far this season then I'd probably say so, yeah.

😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜

It's no false equivalence, it's the same stat, it is you choosing to make a meal out of it to suit your argument my friend.

And based on this, are you saying constructive criticism of players isn't allowed?

Edited by AvfcRigo82

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We've scored 12 goals 1 more than Arsenal which has us 6th most goals in the league and Watkins is leading the line and had a part in 5 of the them. I joked early in season with Buendia injured people would have to find other players to complain about but didn't think people would be this ridiculous but it's VT so I was being delusional

Who's complaining? You keep referring to this but I've not seen anyone moaning or complaining as such.

Can you elaborate more?

22 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Well... yes, of course they are :D  If you're going to show a stat about something, you make it as exaggerated as possible.

The same reason that people talk about Watkins' league goals this season because scoring elsewhere doesn't count.

Well it's the league that were focusing on.

If we want to go into other areas such as Europa conference league then his goal stats and contributions there make for very pleasant reading so far, whilst keeping one eye on who the quality of the opposition have been thus far too.

In the league. There is no exaggerated fact that Ollie had not scored a goal in the league that stretched back to last season which was a run of 11 games in total? Or have we missed seeing Ollie score somewhere in that time and someone's forgot to mention it?

Facts are facts no matter what way you try and dress it up.

If you want to number it differently in terms of goals this season so it looks a but more shiney then it's his first goal in 6 games.

My gripe with him is that he can be frustrating to watch - he probably frustrates himself too I would imagine. You can see the goal yesterday looked like a big weight of relief for him and I'm hoping that he can kick on from this now and find the net more to add to his goal tally and compliment his already glowing numbers in assists and work rate that he already has. It's frustrating his work rate leads to unfortunate situations at times..  like running in trouble, losing possession, not seeing a pass in time and missing scoring opportunities etc.

We know what he's capable of because we seen that last season when he went on a mad run of goalscoring form.

Everyone wants to see that Ollie back and scoring more without a doubt, but there's equally no harm in fans voicing constructive criticism from time to time either when a player isn't delivering as expected.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

Â