Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

25 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

He had service today and was poor with what he had. 

Overall over the course of a season  and with Emery working on him more plus him staying central and not running around chasing everything we should see a more lethal Ollie next season.

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

But as noted, his footballing intelligence, flicks and vision seems to have come on.

Hasn't come on enough though IMO.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Hasn't come on enough though IMO.

yeah, he's a good PL striker, but tbh i just find him so......wooden?

I dont dislike him, but i also think we do need a better striker if we are to go to the next level.

6 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Back to poor Watkins, did hardly anything today. I'm a bit worried he is done for this season.

Crucial to our first goal by dropping deep, dragging the defence out with him and then giving JJ and Bailey free runs with a beautiful flick while getting clattered.

Won the free kick for our second.

Weird take IMO.

• Like 1

Really strange reaction from him when he should have had a penalty today.

Having seen it on highlights, I thought it was one of the clearest penalties to give...yet Watkins didn't even ask for it. 

Psychologically the lack of protest must have had an effect on the ref. (Well, as much as it could have done to the biased MF)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

will be a good backup for whichever striker we bring in, in the summer (if we do sign a new striker).

i love the comedy on here sometimes

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PaulC said:

I thought he looked a bit sharper today 

Thought the same. Better hold up play. Looked faster hilariously enough. Baby finally sleeping longer?!

Good flick in the build up to JJ’s goal. Should’ve been a yellow on Romero. 

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

do you genuinely think he is a top 6 striker?

Checks top 6 strikers. They have Weghorst, Wilson and Nunez starting 

Yes he is if thats top 6 standard

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Checks top 6 strikers. They have Weghorst, Wilson and Nunez starting 

Yes he is if thats top 6 standard

well ye, i wouldnt say they were top 6 either tbh, possibly Nunez aside.

weghorst will be replaced by manure at the first opportunity, and tbh Isak is newcastle's "proper" striker (if you just choose a clubs best striker), who does look really, really good.

Just an opinion thing tho, i accept it no probs if you think Watkins is top 6 standard, i just dont personally.

Thats not to say i dont think he's a good striker, i just dont think he's a next level type of striker, that's just my opinion tho, i would be happy if he proved me wrong.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

do you genuinely think he is a top 6 striker?

Absolutely. He is still feeding off relative scraps in terms of service and chances. As our overall creativity improves, with new additions, he will continue to be our top scorer and a very good striker for a top 6 team which is where we aspire to be in the next couple of years. A top 4 player?…..that’s a different question for, hopefully, another conversation in a few years. 
Right now he is an extremely all rounded striker and perfect for Emery’s set-up. 

I think Ollie gets 15-18 goals next season with 6-8 assists. 

edit : but we really need more goals from elsewhere in the team. Looking at you Emi2, JJ, Leon, CB’s. 

Edited by Sulberto21

We need someone to hit 20 goals a season if we want top 6.  I'm not saying Ollie can't do that but I'm not sure he's a natural goalscorer.  He's been brilliant since Emery came in and hopefully isn't the finished article. 

• Like 1

The man has been on absolute fire for s stretch of games, and almost solely responsible for getting us some crucial points.

He then has a little quiet patch of say 3 games, games where the whole team underperformed, given him no service, and he's back to being slated by some again.

He still did some very good things yesterday.

I don't get it.

• Like 1

Â