Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

He's okay. I like him a lot. I think in a better team he scores more goals and it will be a shame he didn't play in better teams when he does get replaced or some serious competition.

He's a player like Konsa and Mings that will have been here a number of years and there will be question marks, big ones, from the staff over whether he has another level to go.

I think it will be JPA. He will be looked back fondly and with a tinge of regret he didn't play under some better managers or better sides.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sure, Ollie is nowhere near the complete article as a striker... but the hyperbole and lack of appreciation for the things he actually does well is ridiculous.

Every player misses chances, sometimes I wonder if half the armchair fans have actually ever played football in real life.

You even miss chances on FIFA ffs.

I realise that, we tend to choose a few players we don't like.... and then have to stay consistent with it.

We would all love a complete striker, but they don'r come around often and aren't cheap.

How many has Isaak at Newcastle scored for example?

The other things he brings to the team far outweigh the negatives, and it's why Managers continue to pick him.

Put him up for sale now and I think some people would be surprised at how many teams would be willing to have him.

So yes, whilst I agree we need better in the grand scheme, we could do much worse than having him in our squad.

I actually have Watkins in FPL nice 11pts today but rather get the Villa win. Bar Haaland in FPL forwards are hot garbage. Watkins last 2 game weeks has been rank gainer. Toney blanked. It's really a desert in FPL for scoring forwards but glass half empty people on here seem to revel in shitting on our players

• Like 3

17 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Wasn’t really was it.

Yep, it was. Great performance. Excellent even.

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The sitter he missed was so poor though.  This is what frustrates me about him he will do a moment of brilliance with his movement for 1st goal and follow it up with a dreadful miss that is 10x easier to score than the 1st.

You may not have seen it back yet. The keeper touches it just in front of him and pushed it from right on his foot to behind him.

That's far from easy. By the time he adjusts, defenders were back at him.

• Like 1

FWIW I still back him to get close to 15 goals this season. If he has a storming end to the season he'll cement the top spot again next season.

He needs serious competition though. A striker with similar attributes that does what he does. Not an alternative option with different facets to his game. We need someone who can match him for athleticism, ground  covered and all Jack of all trades style of play he has

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

FWIW I still back him to get close to 15 goals this season. If he has a storming end to the season he'll cement the top spot again next season.

He needs serious competition though. A striker with similar attributes that does what he does. Not an alternative option with different facets to his game. We need someone who can match him for athleticism, ground  covered and all Jack of all trades style of play he has

People wanting to replace Ings. Ings got 180 something minutes under Emery and 83 was vs Brighton when Watkins was rarely injured. Serious competition??? Emery doesn't play 2 strikers. Bailey drops to wing part of system. So bringing in player is either replace Watkins starting or what? Sit on bench and be happy with junk minutes like why Ings requested to leave and then the guy you get is complete flop like how many PL strikers other clubs have signed recently????

Based on last sentence I'm happy to roll dice with Duran last half of season

Edited by Kiwivillan

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

People wanting to replace Ings. Ings got 180 something minutes under Emery and 83 was vs Brighton when Watkins was rarely injured. Serious competition??? Emery doesn't play 2 strikers. Bailey drops to wing part of system. So bringing in player is either replace Watkins starting or what? Sit on bench and be happy with junk minutes like why Ings requested to leave and then the guy you get is complete flop like how many PL strikers other clubs have signed recently????

Exactly. Ings didn't start because he couldn't match Watkins for his running ability. In this system we need that. Unai needs that.

So somebody who can. I don't know who. Antonio for example (not him) would actually mean if Ollie isn't doing the business he doesn't play.

Ollie can and has stunk the place out...but he still starts because we have had nobody who can do what he does out of the penalty box.

50 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

If our new 1st choice striker came from League 1 or the Championship in the summer, this forum would go into meltdown about how it lacked ambition.

Trouble is, if we went and signed Toney from league 1, we'd would never have given him the trust and time to develop that Brentford gave him.

When Mitrovic was falling out with managers and spent an entire season on the bench and Fulham getting relegated as a result, we'd never have given him the time and patience to come back and do what he's done.

With Rashford we may find that young striker in Duran. But also we've had Archer we haven't been able to trust or develop in the way United did with Rashford.

I dont think there would be a meltdown? Has there been a meltdown about duran?

24 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yep, it was. Great performance. Excellent even.

You may not have seen it back yet. The keeper touches it just in front of him and pushed it from right on his foot to behind him.

That's far from easy. By the time he adjusts, defenders were back at him.

I reckon tete or ichanecheao scores that had they had that opportunity 

52 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

If our new 1st choice striker came from League 1 or the Championship in the summer, this forum would go into meltdown about how it lacked ambition.

Who cares what this forum says?

There would be no meltdown if they were good enough.

Sign players that are good enough, regardless of where they are from, and enjoy winning games.

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I reckon tete or ichanecheao scores that had they had that opportunity 

If they are Neo from the Matrix maybe as no footballer in the world anticipates that fingertip save

• Like 2

Just now, Zatman said:

If they are Neo from the Matrix maybe as no footballer in the world anticipates that fingertip save

Not seen a replay to know if Ollie had jumped before the keeper got the touch, there's not a striker alive who makes the adjustment to their feet that quick

There's plenty of strikers who do absolutely nothing and then thanks to blind luck the ball bounces off their shins for the goal

Because he jumped that chance is not easy or anywhere near a sitter

The coutinho through ball was the one, didn't hit it and gave the defender a sniff, the block was still good defending tough

His goal was superb

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The levels people defend ollie for his bad misses. He should score that

How dare Villa fans defend our player from ridiculous criticism because he didnt score an impossible chance because the keeper changed the movement of the ball

Ollie out because Mitrovic and Iheanacho both would have defied gravity to tap it in because they are elite strikers

• Like 2

Â