Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Come on konate and Matip don't join us, especially given where we were when we signed mings and Konsa the luxury of being a top team

We bought Carlos rather than botman, unfair to judge yet but everything suggested Carlos is a great signing

Carlos did..

I would have had Carlos & Botman, not one or the other.

So now its time to move.....and stop thinking like a championship team.

If we keep saying, we can't do this, we can't do that.....we will never move on.

Newcastle signed Guimaraes, Burn and Trippier in Jan 2022....they were in the bottom 3 won 1 game....but still managed to attract quality.

We signed Kamara and Carlos, and then took our foot off the gas, instead of going for it.....so we can do it, if we have the will.

We need to be more intrepid, and stop feeling sorry for ourslves.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sven Botman didn't.....c 40m 

Konate didn't...............c 36 m

Matip didn't.................Free.

we make too many excuses.

We’re Aston Villa - we’ve recently spent 3 seasons in the championship and recently got promoted. We’re not that far up the food chain. Hence why we have to take some punts in the transfer market. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Carlos did..

I would have had Carlos & Botman, not one or the other.

So now its time to move.....and stop thinking like a championship team.

If we keep saying, we can't do this, we can't do that.....we will never move on.

Newcastle signed Guimaraes, Burn and Trippier in Jan 2022....they were in the bottom 3 won 1 game....but still managed to attract quality.

We signed Kamara and Carlos, and then took our foot off the gas, instead of going for it.....so we can do it, if we have the will.

We need to be more intrepid, and stop feeling sorry for ourslves.

Newcastle are the richest club in the world. That is attractive to some players/ agents. 

Back to Ollie he’s what we needed when we signed him. I don’t know if he can grow with us but his recent all round performances have approached what we saw in his first season with us.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Newcastle are the richest club in the world. That is attractive to some players/ agents. 

Thats a cop out.

They were bottom of the table in Jan 2022....some predicted relegation, despite the take over.

Its just excuses, for us not getting some/ as many things right, as we should.

we might be progressing, but the rate is slow, due to sluggish decision making and questionable recruitment.

We seem to be in a quick, slow, quick , slow, kinda progressive path.

Ollie has scored 31 goals in 93 games....c 1: 3

If you think that is ok fine, I think we need to look for a more prolific centre forward, for Ollie to play off.

We should after 93 games, know what we have with Ollie.....maybe we have to wait and see what the new man thinks.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Haaland has not converted two 1v1s and Grealish has gashed a few. Maybe if they just learned how to dink it?

Of course Haaland is more clinical in every aspect but goes to show that most strikers are going to need a few chances - Ollie included

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TRO said:

but for me Nick, I am still not comfortable with our recruitment.....in fact nervous, to be honest.

for that reason alone, I wouldn't sell Ollie, we don't want to go backwards and Wes springs to mind and Samatta and Grabban....boy we've had some brahmmers.

I don't know how much influence UE has, to negate that nervousness.

Grabban scored one in two for us!

6 hours ago, TRO said:

so why don't we get 2 like that,? instead of 1

to see Van Dijk & Matip in a central defensive pairing is a sight to behold tbh, both huge, a threat in the air and strong in the air defensively, also both pretty rapid, which helps with Liverpools high line.

I know we cant get players of that level right now, im hoping Carlos is the same player as before his injury, granted he isnt tall but he is rapid as heck and is a proper ball playing centre back.

For me (assuming Carlos is what we hope he is), it will be Carlos and Mings, or a Mings replacement with Mings competing to pair with Carlos.

If we had Carlos, a new CB, then Konsa and Mings competing for the 2 CD slots, it would be really good for us, right now its Mings/Konsa no matter what, we literally dont have anyone else to remotely challenge them.

Im on the fence whether Mings can be part of the 11 to take us to the next level, but i 100% believe Konsa isnt.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Spoony said:

Grabban scored one in two for us!

not a premiership striker.....and small sample size. 15 games.

anyway, Ollie is better than him.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

to see Van Dijk & Matip in a central defensive pairing is a sight to behold tbh, both huge, a threat in the air and strong in the air defensively, also both pretty rapid, which helps with Liverpools high line.

I know we cant get players of that level right now, im hoping Carlos is the same player as before his injury, granted he isnt tall but he is rapid as heck and is a proper ball playing centre back.

For me (assuming Carlos is what we hope he is), it will be Carlos and Mings, or a Mings replacement with Mings competing to pair with Carlos.

If we had Carlos, a new CB, then Konsa and Mings competing for the 2 CD slots, it would be really good for us, right now its Mings/Konsa no matter what, we literally dont have anyone else to remotely challenge them.

Im on the fence whether Mings can be part of the 11 to take us to the next level, but i 100% believe Konsa isnt.

just to rub salt in....they have Konate and Gomez as rotation.

Newcastle have Burn, Botman and Schar.

We need to strengthen there.

Back to Ollie....we need to keep him and add a centre Forward with presence.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, TRO said:

but for me Nick, I am still not comfortable with our recruitment.....in fact nervous, to be honest.

for that reason alone, I wouldn't sell Ollie, we don't want to go backwards and Wes springs to mind and Samatta and Grabban....boy we've had some brahmmers.

I don't know how much influence UE has, to negate that nervousness.

I get your unease but sticking with the likes of Ollie in his current striker position means we’ll be a perpetual lower half of the table team.  

I don’t think we should sell Ollie unless a good offer came him but try to utilise him some other way in the team if that is even possible but we need to try something different in the striker position and that means recruitment.  

After DM it was always my top priority and hole in our team.  We got in Kamara to ably do the DM role so now we need the striker.  

Trying always has risks but settling for what we…well, you know you know what they say about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.  

We need to continue to grow as a club, Emery’s coaching will do that but it will also require key investment and for me we need that in the forward positions urgently.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

just to rub salt in....they have Konate and Gomez as rotation.

Newcastle have Burn, Botman and Schar.

We need to strengthen there.

Back to Ollie....we need to keep him and add a centre Forward with presence.

I don’t disagree with your general point of making shite striker signings, but I do disagree re Grabban being one of them.  We were a championship team at the time and he fulfilled the brief of coming in and banging in goals for half the season. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I get your unease but sticking with the likes of Ollie in his current striker position means we’ll be a perpetual lower half of the table team.  

I don’t think we should sell Ollie unless a good offer came him but try to utilise him some other way in the team if that is even possible but we need to try something different in the striker position and that means recruitment.  

After DM it was always my top priority and whole in our team.  We got in Kamara to ably do the DM role so now we need the striker.  

Trying always has risks but settling for what we…well, you know you know what they say about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.  

We need to continue to grow as a club, Emery’s coaching will do that but it will also require key investment and for me we need that in the forward positions urgently.

I concur.

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

I don’t disagree with your general point of making shite striker signings, but I do disagree re Grabban being one of them.  We were a championship team at the time and he fulfilled the brief of coming in and banging in goals for half the season. 

Yeah, I concede that.

18 hours ago, TRO said:

Sven Botman didn't.....c 40m 

Konate didn't...............c 36 m

Matip didn't.................Free.

we make too many excuses.

Matip should have signed for recently relegated Aston Villa in 2016

10 hours ago, Anything11 said:

what the f**K does Botman have to do will Ollie? This thread is madness

keep your hair on....it was just responding to a question.

were back on track

I agree with Tro we are a massive club. Forget the relegation that was a blip. The ground is being redeveloped. We are on the up but progress on the field is slow. We have to be ruthless to turn us into a top 6 club and some of this crop of players need to be moved on. Not sure about Watkins. I like him but he's got to have a good second half of the season else it's time to move on

January is never a good time to buy strikers though. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I agree with Tro we are a massive club. Forget the relegation that was a blip. The ground is being redeveloped. We are on the up but progress on the field is slow. We have to be ruthless to turn us into a top 6 club and some of this crop of players need to be moved on. Not sure about Watkins. I like him but he's got to have a good second half of the season else it's time to move on

January is never a good time to buy strikers though. 

This is the key point - we aren't in a relegation battle IMO, so we might as well just see out the season and invest well in the summer. Watkins and Ings aren't going to get us relegated.

• Like 2

Â