Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

38 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

But it’s a ruthless sport and “not missing by much” just doesn’t cut the mustard in those instances. If it was a 5 a side kick about you’d say to him unlucky that was close, but this is the Premier League, it’s cut throat, and his finishing just wasn’t good enough. Fair play to him for winning the penalty but by god it was lucky that when it hit the post it bounced in and not out

Even the best strikers miss one on ones and far as the penalty goes he scored so who cares if it went in off the post. He hasnt had the best of seasons after a really good one last seaosn but I fully expect him to have a better one next season whether thats with us or somewhere else. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Who is this top quality striker we're selling Ollie for and buying this summer? 

I genuinely haven't got a clue who people are expecting 

Especially if the logic is sell Ollie for £40m, to who? Arsenal, West Ham etc

So those clubs are passing on the guaranteed 20 goal a season striker we're buying and getting Ollie who is apparently shit instead? 

Because we're Aston Villa? 

Easy this football lark

Yeah, right on.

Let’s not bother upgrading any of our players.

We don’t know who the replacement could be so there isn’t then a player it could be.

Yeah let’s not sell a player to somebody else who also wants a player in that position because another club out there they’ll want that player we want.

Yeah we are only shitty Aston Villa we shouldn’t get above our station and should be grateful for what we have.

Yeah

giphy.gif

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah, right on.

Let’s no bother upgrading any of our players.

We don’t know who the replacement could be so there isn’t then a player it could be.

Yeah let’s not sell a player to somebody else who also wants a player in that position because another club out there they’ll want that player.

Yeah we are only shitty Aston Villa we shouldn’t get above our station and should be grateful for what we have.

Yeah

giphy.gif

But who is he? 

Who is the guaranteed goalscorer? 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

So those clubs are passing on the guaranteed 20 goal a season striker we're buying and getting Ollie who is apparently shit instead? 

Easy this football lark

Well we have a better striker already in ings he doesnt seem to start agead of ings.

Many of us asked for tammy in the summer and were mocked that ollie is better.  No bloody way.

59 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But who is he? 

That's what we'll have to find out in the summer if it happens. 

Just because an internet forum of Villa fans dont know doesnt mean the recruitment team havent got players in mind. 

My issue is not just the goals but Ollie doesnt fit Gerrard's way of playing.  If Gerrard sticks with the couple of styles he plays then even an on form Ollie wouldnt be what we needed.  An off form Ollie like he is now is just a waste. 

So I dont think Gerrard is going to change, I'm not convinced Ollie is as great as we thought he might become last season and there is a premium market for him at the moment, and with Gerrard going nowhere it might be best to sell Ollie at his premium now and reinvest that money.

Edited by nick76

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well we have a better striker already in ings he doesnt seem to start agead of ings.

Many of us asked for tammy in the summer and were mocked that ollie is better.  No bloody way.

Yeah I'm still gutted we never got Tammy, I think he could've done so well here.

57 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But who is he? 

No guaranteed 20+ goalscorer is coming to Aston Villa. We would need to gamble in the transfer market. Watkins himself was a gamble. Now he's a much more known quantity, but perhaps not at the level we would like.

We have to ask the question, would it be worth selling Watkins so as to be allowed gamble again in the transfer market? Or is it better to stick with the known quantity. Right now, I'm leaning on the former.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That's what we'll have to find out in the summer if it happens. 

Just because a internet forum of Villa fans dont know doesnt mean the recruitment team havent got players in mind. 

My issue is not just the goals but Ollie doesnt fit Gerrard's way of playing.  If Gerrard sticks with the couple of styles he plays then even an on form Ollie wouldnt be what we needed.  An off form Ollie like he is now is just a waste. 

So I dont think Gerrard is going to change, I'm not convinced Ollie is as great as we thought he might become last season and there is a premium market for him at the moment, and with Gerrard going nowhere it might be best to sell Ollie at his premium now and reinvest that money.

My biggest problem is the logic of it

Ollie isn't good enough for us, so we will sell him for more than we bought him for, probably to a team who finished above us and then we will use that money to buy a player that is better than him 

That doesn't sound plausible to me

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

No guaranteed 20+ goalscorer is coming to Aston Villa. We would need to gamble in the transfer market. Watkins himself was a gamble. Now he's a much more known quantity, but perhaps not at the level we would like.

We have to ask the question, would it be worth selling Watkins so as to be allowed gamble again in the transfer market? Or is it better to stick with the known quantity. Right now, I'm leaning on the former.

Or keep Watkins and gamble again? 

Or gamble with archer? 

I don't know why fans are so eager to give up and move on rather than back our player and hope he finds the confidence to get back to a level we've seen him play at before 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

My biggest problem is the logic of it

Ollie isn't good enough for us, so we will sell him for more than we bought him for, probably to a team who finished above us and then we will use that money to buy a player that is better than him 

That doesn't sound plausible to me

Totally plausible, isn’t that what is one of the biggest complaints on this forum that we don’t buy gems, play them and sell them for more money and then go and buy another gem.

Our board have also talked about that, mainly about our youth but we are always discussing how come we can’t do that when the likes of Leicester and Brentford do, yet the first notable one and people question it.  Just because we, the Villa fans, don’t know who the replacement could be doesn’t mean the recruitment team don’t know.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Easy this football lark

Mate I don’t follow European/world football at all, so in answer to question, I don’t have a clue. 

What I do think though is that because he is in and around the England squad he is probably thought of more highly outside of villa park than his true value reflects. I’ve got both Spurs and UTD fans in my office that both say they would love him at their place. 

I think clever businesses sell when the value of their asset is only going to tumble. I don’t see Ollie as a top ten striker, but if people from the outside think otherwise maybe it’s the ideal time to sell. 

£40m seems likes a silly amount of money for Wakins, but then when you consider that Everton spent not far off of that for the boy from Arsenal (yes I’ve forgot his name) it may put things into perspective. 

Like I said though, given that I think he is a very limited striker, this summer is kind of now or never in terms of recouping our outlay imo. 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Or gamble with archer? 

I don't know why fans are so eager to give up and move on rather than back our player and hope he finds the confidence to get back to a level we've seen him play at before 

Because he doesn’t fit Gerrard’s style(s) of play.  He’s not the type of striker that fits his system.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Because he doesn’t fit Gerrard’s style(s) of play.  He’s not the type of striker that fits his system.

It drives me nuts when new managers want to play a system that doesn't fit the existing players ! There has to be some compromise  until a manager can bring in the type of player that suits the way  he wants to play. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Or gamble with archer? 

Watkins now has nearly 2 PL seasons under his belt. One in which he played well and one in which he played poorly. How likely do you think he regains his previous form and plays well next season?

He could just as easily have another poor season next season. In fact, to the extent that more recent performances are better indicators of future performance, I think this scenario is somewhat more likely.

Mmaybe we can average the 2 seasons out and say Watkins is expected to have an okay season next season. That still doesn't satisfy me. I want a striker that I can expect to be genuinely good next season because that's what it's gonna take us to the next level. Being "alright" doesn't cut it for me because that means we're still gonna need to upgrade eventually.

What I'm trying to say is, the odds of Watkins having a good enough season next season just isn't that high. However, I think we can still get good money for him and that money will allow us to gamble for a striker that might be even better that Watkins. Or he may be worse, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. All in an effort to get to the next level.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Watkins now has nearly 2 PL seasons under his belt. One in which he played well and one in which he played poorly. How likely do you think he regains his previous form and plays well next season?

He could just as easily have another poor season next season. In fact, to the extent that more recent performances are better indicators of future performance, I think this scenario is somewhat more likely.

Mmaybe we can average the 2 seasons out and say Watkins is expected to have an okay season next season. That still doesn't satisfy me. I want a striker that I can expect to be genuinely good next season because that's what it's gonna take us to the next level. Being "alright" doesn't cut it for me because that means we're still gonna need to upgrade eventually.

What I'm trying to say is, the odds of Watkins having a good enough season next season just isn't that high. However, I think we can still get good money for him and that money will allow us to gamble for a striker that might be even better that Watkins. Or he may be worse, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. All in an effort to get to the next level.

I don't 

I think you give him next season, fix the problems in midfield as priority number, play better football, create more chances, tickle his bollocks and then take it from there 

I don't have this confidence that we will replace him with a better player as easy as that 

The only confidence I do have is that if we sold him to arsenal, or West Ham, or spurs, or utd he will be better for them than he has been for us this season and we'll regret it 

I don't really buy in to this idea of selling him at his maximum value either, it seems like across the various player threads people want to sell the entire starting 11 and subs who aren't called Martinez, it's not realistic, sell everyone and start again but at least we sold them at a profit 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Easy this football lark

Some clubs will take him although not as automatic first choice perhaps, more in rotation. If it's not him they'll be looking at Calvert Lewin if Everton go down.

I'd prefer to keep but this season has shown he has his limits and really is only mid table in terms of finishing (even in 20/21 he missed plenty for what we created). So I don't see him being automatic starter next year.

I think Watkins is better than his recent showings. I don’t think it’s about pushing him out the door but in the short term we at least have to see what Danny Ings can do if given a consistent run in the team without being shoehorned into a failed partnership with Watkins. 

I can’t see a team above us bidding on Watkins as he’s nowhere consistent enough, but if it were to happen and we did receive an offer of £30m+ it would have to be considered but then I understand the points about who would replace him… and that’s why we need to give Ings a proper run at it

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You expect a striker to score one on ones and not hit his strikes constantly at the player like he is the goal.

If their was a stat of a player finishing hitting it at the opposition player ollie would be top and nowhere near him.

As well as his finishing his hold up play has been so poor. Sell him and try get tammy back

I've told you there what you can expect from Ollie Watkins. A goal every 3 or 4 games, which means him missing more one on ones than scoring them. That's what he is. Want a higher conversion rate, pay more than £30mil for a striker.

The bulk of our players are of a similar standard now. We are crying out for one or two top premier league players in my opinion, which might move us on to the next level.

Â