Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Watkins has suffered from our change in style. We were a counter attacking side under Smith and Watkins excelled as the lone CF in a 4 2 3 1 / 4 3 3. Gerrard wants us to be more patient and build from the back, with his narrow formation with the two 10s Watkins is outnumbered on his own up top making direct balls to him less effective. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Watkins has suffered from our change in style. We were a counter attacking side under Smith and Watkins excelled as the lone CF in a 4 2 3 1 / 4 3 3. Gerrard wants us to be more patient and build from the back, with his narrow formation with the two 10s Watkins is outnumbered on his own up top making direct balls to him less effective. 

Yep I agree with this.  It’s one reason I think we may be tempted to sell him in the summer because he’s currently at a premium value and given he doesn’t seem to fit Gerrard’s style, if we can get somebody Gerrard wants then Ollie may go.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

Who would you get rid of first, Ings or Watkins? Considering Ings' age vs Watkins mediocre performances?

Watkins.  Premium money, doesn’t fit Gerrard’s system, only had one good season at this level followed by a poor one so unsure which is the real Ollie, is he the striker to get us to the next level.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Watkins.  Premium money, doesn’t fit Gerrard’s system, only had one good season at this level followed by a poor one so unsure which is the real Ollie, is he the striker to get us to the next level.

Ings will be 30 by the end of July. Do you think we would rather replace him and hope Watkins turns good? As there's still time to get something out of him (hopefully).

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We paid a lot of ,money for Ings a proven scorer at this level yet his scored only 5 goals.  Watkins is still Gerrard's first choice so if anybody will be sold it will be Ings. 

6 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

Ings will be 30 by the end of July. Do you think we would rather replace him and hope Watkins turns good? As there's still time to get something out of him (hopefully).

Not sure selling Ings makes sense out of the two options…we’d get probably £15m for him, maybe up to £20m.  Yes his wages are high I suppose so that gets that off the books.  I think he has more value staying as he can play as striker or just off the striker and he adds assists to the team.  He’d be less likely imo to kick up a fuss compared to Ollie at being 2nd striker when we brought a main striker and he has massive experience that can help the team and the quality youngsters coming through like Archer and won’t hinder their progress because of his age.  Selling Ings for £15m or Ollie for much more than £40m, I think get the money in the bank, sell Ollie and then reinvest.

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We paid a lot of ,money for Ings a proven scorer at this level yet his scored only 5 goals.  Watkins is still Gerrard's first choice so if anybody will be sold it will be Ings. 

I get your point but I think they’d sell Ollie before Ings if they go and buy another striker, it makes more sense.

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yep I agree with this.  It’s one reason I think we may be tempted to sell him in the summer because he’s currently at a premium value and given he doesn’t seem to fit Gerrard’s style, if we can get somebody Gerrard wants then Ollie may go.

Unfortunately I can't see who we would bring in that would allow us to sell Watkins. There aren't too many quality CFs available and everyone is in the market for one this summer too. 

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Unfortunately I can't see who we would bring in that would allow us to sell Watkins. There aren't too many quality CFs available and everyone is in the market for one this summer too. 

I agree it will be hard but that's what they are paid to do.  My gut says that Ollie wont be here next season, he doesnt fit the way Gerrard plays, he's been poor and I think Gerrard and the owners will want more or at least somebody that fits the system.  I'd be more surprised if Ollie was with us next season to be honest despite it not looking obvious who we'd have to replace him.  The club will know who they want if they are looking to replace him so we shall see. 

Either that or we have to change the way we play to fit Ollie and he has to start playing like last season not like he currently is.  I dont think Gerrard will be changing his style/formation very soon, do you? and I cant see Ollie coming into great form with only 9 games left of the season. 

I'm guessing a lot of decisions have already been made by Gerrard and his coaching team on the players they like to let go and bring in.  Obviously time can change things, opportunities for players being available could change in the next 6 weeks but  Gerrard will likely know and Purslow for that matter, what changes will probably want to be made.  Given Ollie's performances under Gerrard and the way Gerrard wants to play, I cant see that review being a positive for Ollie.

As you say who do they bring in and can they!  I think there will be options, it's just whether we take them.

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

That the one thing some of us are questionable this season, is that he isn’t giving 100%.  Forgetting his goals for the moment, his general play has been very poor this season and while some people blame the change in personnel around him or the team playing poor that’s only half the story, Ollie has been poor, his first touch has got worse and he isn’t doing as much or as effective as last season.

somethings can be related to your team mates, but other things are down to the individual.

He should be working morning ,noon and night on his game.....he could be for all I know, but it doesn't look like he is.

When you are not playing great as a striker, you have to work your opposite number, make his game difficult and be a nuissance......He is not even doing that.....His pressing has gone to semi pressing....and the runs become resigned to losing out.

Its passive and turgid.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TRO said:

somethings can be related to your team mates, but other things are down to the individual.

He should be working morning ,noon and night on his game.....he could be for all I know, but it doesn't look like he is.

When you are not playing great as a striker, you have to work your opposite number, make his game difficult and be a nuissance......He is not even doing that.....His pressing has gone to semi pressing....and the runs become resigned to losing out.

Its passive and turgid.

We're under instructions not to press in the final 1/3rd of the pitch. The front three are to block passing lanes into midfield and force opposition around our shape.

We have the lowest number of pressures in the final 1/3rd in the league as a result. It's part of our tactics. 

It's not Watkins fault he's doing exactly what he's asked to do

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

One thing that you can never fault him for is effort, he always gives 100% for the team, whoever the opposition is

Too many people confuse "running around a lot" with "giving 100% for the team"

Ollie runs around a lot

• Like 1

Â