Academy General Topic

smetrov

On 02/09/2023 at 13:57, useless said:

Finished 1-0 to us, Luka Lynch with the goal, seems like we should have scored more as had seventeen shots ten of those on target. Good win as Leeds top of Premier League North.

Luka Lynch seems to have alot of really good qualities technically and physically. One to really watch out for i reckon. 

Luka Lynch was part of an age group at Albion that included himself, Leo Cardoso, Kiano Dyer, Triston Rowe, and Jamal JImoh, and Kadan Young was with them also at Pheonix United, they've all gone on to sign for either us or Chelsea, and with the exception of Lynch have all played for England at youth level, and there's also Kevin Mfuamba who's stil with Albion, so a very talented group that all came through at the same time.

Telltale sign that he's rated by us is that he was already playing for the U18s as a U15, and I think good chance he will follow Broggio's example and get a chance with the 21s pretty soon.

• Thanks 3

Triston Rowe and Sam Proctor were on the bench today as England U18s lost 2-0 to France, no idea if either were subbed on. Must have been a late call up for Proctor as he wasn't named in the initial squad.

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I worry a bit about future recruitment to the academy when it is shown that it is a giant revenue-raising exercise and there is little chance you will get to play for the seniors. 

Or perhaps the players already know this and see it as part of their overall development.

We’re never going to have a team full of academy players. If you can get a first team player every 18 to 24 months then the academy has done its job. Most players will know how hard to make it as a professional footballer. We will attract more top youngsters if we keep producing players for Premier League and Championship teams. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Or perhaps the players already know this and see it as part of their overall development.

I'd say this is definitely the case, but that's not even a bad thing. If you can come here, get excellent education, and have been shown that there is a clear route into Premier League & Championship football through this club then why not come here? That's all a footballer wants at the end of the day. Plus it's not impossible you end up in the Villa side. Just statistically unlikely. Everyone wins.

• Like 1

When you hear people talking about pathways its not just a pathway to our first team.its also a  pathway to first team football in general. If anything seeing us not ruining a players development by holding on to them for brief sub appearances is only going to enhance our academy . We are showing a duty of care.

• Like 1

Football Insider who are more reliable on the academy side of things, are saying that we're set to sign Freddie Lawrie from Port Vale, for what will be a record signing for a schoolboy player. He's apparently a fifteen year old midfielder.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Football Insider who are more reliable on the academy side of things, are saying that we're set to sign Freddie Lawrie from Port Vale, for what will be a record signing for a schoolboy player. He's apparently a fifteen year old midfielder.

After doing some thorough research i can confirm he was Staffordshire schools High Jump champion with a height of 150cm  and thats about it... 🤣

21 hours ago, useless said:

I think he’s only 14. Crazy to be paying 6 figure sums for a child, but that seems to be the way things are going. 

https://www.footballinsider247.com/revealed-aston-villa-trump-newcastle-after-agreeing-record-fee-for-14-year-old/

If it's really going to be a record fee for a schoolboy then must be good, as he's currently playing for a category 3 academy, and they're entitled to less compensation for their players, would be surprising if a schoolboy from a cat 1 academy hasn't moved for more than what we're supposedly going to pay, I know Liverpool signed a fourteen year old defender from Wolves earlier in the summer for £900k, but again that was between two cat 1 academies.

Speaking of players that age, I think we signed Kellyman's younger brother, looks like he's playing for our U15s, as of the end of last season he was still playing for Derby.

• Like 2

He only joined Port Vale this summer from Hanley Town, the rumoured fee is £400k, which wouldn't be a record for a schoolboy, but still a very good for a fourteen year old from a Category 3 team, as nornally wouldn't be entitled to anywhere near that, one because the level he's playing at, and two because he's only been with them a few months, so wouldn't even be entitled to much in terms of training compensation, sounds like we're paying the money whatever it is to get it done, and maybe to fend off competition from other teams, from their point of view I guess they've done well to pick up a player for what would have been a very small amount if they paid anything at all, and then to sell him on for big money.

• 2 weeks later...

U17s beat Norwich 7-2 away from home in their first Premier League Cup game this season

U16s beat Man Utd 4-3 away from home in qualifer for the Premier League National Tournament, the competition that we won last season, not sure if we've qualified yet, but the finals are next month.

• Like 2

U18's playing WBA at Bodymoor 11am, currently losing 0-1 after 25mins 

Proctor (GK); Carroll, Timson, Katsukunya, Lynch; Borland, Pavey, Jimoh; Young, Brannigan, Wilson.
Subs: Wright (GK), Duerden, Mulley, Fortes, Onuchukwu.

Port Vale have confirmed that Freddie Lawrie has signed for us. His father says on instagram that Newcastle, Arsenal , Chelsea and others that were interested in signing him, only signed for Port Vale April of this year from Hanley Town, so has had a rapid rise.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

Â