Johan Lange

hippo

This has been such an odd appointment.

We really don't know much about him, not one single interview? ( unless I missed it)

The signings he has brought in have been poor with no real methodology..

For me this started with the Danny Ings signing.. 

Purslow has made two bad appointments tbh.. him and SG..

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

More than just sign players 😉

And he hasn't overseen terrible signing after another, he's overseen a shit manager

I must admit that I remain to be convinced that Lange is all that good for us, and Newcastle appointing Dan Ashworth has seen them sail past us in double quick time. However, it is probably too early to fully judge Lange and his impact at the club and we have to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water. We definitly need to remove Gerrard asap, and make sure we get the next appointment right. A manager with decent pedigree would have these players well organised and playing better.

I don't see the problem apart from the manager. Lange brought in Kamara and  carlos this window, Ings was not a bad signing, Targett wanted to go, so we had to bring in someone quick so Digne wasn't too bad and will improve under a decent manager. Sarr is decent enough too, which apparently Gerrard didn't want.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I must admit that I remain to be convinced that Lange is all that good for us, and Newcastle appointing Dan Ashworth has seen them sail past us in double quick time. However, it is probably too early to fully judge Lange and his impact at the club and we have to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water. We definitly need to remove Gerrard asap, and make sure we get the next appointment right. A manager with decent pedigree would have these players well organised and playing better.

again i think its as simple as win football matches and your good at your job but lose football matches and you're shit at it

we had coutinho with a knock last night so started buendia instead, we brought danny ings and douglas luiz off the bench - guimares has a knock last night so newcastle started sean longstaff and brought jacob murphy off the bench...we have a better squad than them, completely agree on gerrard, howe is a better manager and thats why they've sailed past us

and also again he's not a scout, he runs football as an operation, all parts of it top to bottom "sporting director" is such a misnomer in english football, that tweet chain where it linked back to gerrard making noise earlier in the summer about wanting to do more of lange's job, he cant do lange's job 

im against a massive overhaul at the club so im defending him, i don't think sacking him and if it got that bad purslow helps us, sack gerrard and take it from there

• Like 3

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

More than just sign players 😉

And he hasn't overseen terrible signing after another, he's overseen a shit manager

So, in his capacity, and I presume he is his senior.....why can't he support the manager like Edu did with Arteta.

He can't just sit back and take no blame......If SG takes the blame for the players, its only right, he takes some too.....bosses take responsibility, for their subordinates, otherwise its double standards.

This Melee is more than one man.....we was shit before SG came in.

Something has gone wrong since 1 Jan......He was doing well in 2021.

It started going wrong, since then.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

So, in his capacity, and I presume he is his senior.....why can't he support the manager like Edu did with Arteta.

He can't just sit back and take no blame......If SG takes the blame for the players, its only right, he takes some too.....bosses take responsibility, for their subordinates, otherwise its double standards.

id say something went wrong since 5th August 2021 but that's just me...

agree that ultimately the failings should eventually land at the feet of a director but at the same time i think gerrard has the tools to do better, there's an argument that we've needed a better CM since the day we were promoted and we've still not found him but other than that this is a decent squad, its certainly not the 19th best squad in the league, nowhere near it

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

We are as good as bottom of the league now, give it up with your defense of Gerrard. There is no way in this world the squad is that bad, it's down to the tactical nous of the manager. Sooner he is gone the better, an I'm sure you will see the improvements.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

As I understand it Lange is the sporting director, this means he should be in control of everything to do on the football side of things, appointing the head coach, recruiting the players, the academy, the analytics, the lot.

This way he can drive the club ethos and philosophy through the whole thing, so you have continuity, you have joined up thinking.

However, I think it's quite apparent that Lange did not appoint Gerrard. Purslow overtook that whole process so he could get his man. Now, as CEO Purslow is entitled do that, he can overrule Lange, but the question is should he? It's a bit like hiring a lawyer and then defending yourself. As it turns out Purslow made a grave error.

Gerrard has been brought in and been allowed to change everything up to and including the transfer policy, that should not be in his remit. The coach should be hired to follow the philosophy, ethos and transfer strategy already laid out by the sporting director. The sporting director should be above the head coach. Having not appointed the head coach, and no longer in control of transfer policy and lord knows what else, you can see how he's no longer in control, you can see why there's no longer any joined up thinking. There's a disconnect because Gerrard can go straight to Purslow and miss Lange out completely, this is not how we were set up to work and it is not how it should work.

I don't imagine Lange agrees with the new transfer policy, in fact as someone who likes to work based on analytics I imagine he's not been happy with a lot of things. 

Both Purslow and Gerrard have overstepped (though in Gerrard's case he shouldn't of been allowed to), if the CEO appoints the coach and the coach gets to do whatever he wants, then there's no need for a sporting director and we've gone back in time 20 years. 

I don't believe Lange is to blame for the current situation, though that doesn't absolve him completely.

I don't know if Lange is a good sporting director, I just know that his job has been made increasingly more difficult when it shouldn't have.

One more thought to consider, if the players are confused about the messages the head coach is trying to get across in terms of tactics .etc Is it not entirely possible that the recruitment team have also been getting mixed messages? May go some way to explaining the strange transfer window we've been having, and the whole Sarr debacle.

Iv'e just posted a link in the Gerrard thread what he did at Rangers and is being allowed to get away with it here at Villa too, I think that's a big part the problem!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

We are as good as bottom of the league now, give it up with your defense of Gerrard. There is no way in this world the squad is that bad, it's down to the tactical nous of the manager. Sooner he is gone the better, an I'm sure you will see the improvements.

I am not defending Gerrard unconditionally, I'm saying its more than one man, and some are getting no flak......I am arguing the point, its more than one man.

Lets get rid of him and see what happens.....I am intrigued to see the new system, that will bring us joy.

If you are right.....We will see when the new manager comes in.....I don't get all the double standards, thats all.

Lange is his boss, as I understand.....what is he saying about our plight?....where is his advice to a rookie manager?

He is the Director of football.....what football?.....He has responsibilities too.

I blame Purslow more than him tbh .I've no doubt Ings was a Purslow signing .Look at the way Purlsow announced Coutinho signing at player award's he like's getting the big names and this policy has been mostly a disaster. There is absolutely no way for 25mil Digne was the best LB we could get as well. 

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I am not defending Gerrard unconditionally, I'm saying its more than one man, and some are getting no flak......I am arguing the point, its more than one man.

Lets get rid of him and see what happens.....I am intrigued to see the new system, that will bring us joy.

If you are right.....We will see when the new manager comes in.....I don't get all the double standards, thats all.

Lange is his boss, as I understand.....what is he saying about our plight?....where is his advice to a rookie manager?

He is the Director of football.....what football?.....He has responsibilities too.

I personally think Gerrard is bypassing Lange and going straight to Purslow. Is this causing the tension maybe?

18 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

As I understand it Lange is the sporting director, this means he should be in control of everything to do on the football side of things, appointing the head coach, recruiting the players, the academy, the analytics, the lot.

This way he can drive the club ethos and philosophy through the whole thing, so you have continuity, you have joined up thinking.

However, I think it's quite apparent that Lange did not appoint Gerrard. Purslow overtook that whole process so he could get his man. Now, as CEO Purslow is entitled do that, he can overrule Lange, but the question is should he? It's a bit like hiring a lawyer and then defending yourself. As it turns out Purslow made a grave error.

Gerrard has been brought in and been allowed to change everything up to and including the transfer policy, that should not be in his remit. The coach should be hired to follow the philosophy, ethos and transfer strategy already laid out by the sporting director. The sporting director should be above the head coach. Having not appointed the head coach, and no longer in control of transfer policy and lord knows what else, you can see how he's no longer in control, you can see why there's no longer any joined up thinking. There's a disconnect because Gerrard can go straight to Purslow and miss Lange out completely, this is not how we were set up to work and it is not how it should work.

I don't imagine Lange agrees with the new transfer policy, in fact as someone who likes to work based on analytics I imagine he's not been happy with a lot of things. 

Both Purslow and Gerrard have overstepped (though in Gerrard's case he shouldn't of been allowed to), if the CEO appoints the coach and the coach gets to do whatever he wants, then there's no need for a sporting director and we've gone back in time 20 years. 

I don't believe Lange is to blame for the current situation, though that doesn't absolve him completely.

I don't know if Lange is a good sporting director, I just know that his job has been made increasingly more difficult when it shouldn't have.

One more thought to consider, if the players are confused about the messages the head coach is trying to get across in terms of tactics .etc Is it not entirely possible that the recruitment team have also been getting mixed messages? May go some way to explaining the strange transfer window we've been having, and the whole Sarr debacle.

I think that is quite a feasible, offering.

In management, these things happen, even though they shouldn't.....its happening on the pitch too, players coming to help and leaving gaps, where their own job should be.

In such cases you have to stand strong and speak up for yourself. otherwise, you are tantamount to condoning it.

I think it's more than Gerrard, but thats just my take.....and that is not deflecting blame, its just too convenient to just blame a rookie manager for everything, in my view......more experienced staff, should stand up and be counted.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not defending Gerrard unconditionally, I'm saying its more than one man, and some are getting no flak...

This is objectively wrong - everyone is being blamed - from the other coaches to Purslow and Lange. As they should.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

.If you are right.....We will see when the new manager comes in.....I don't get all the double standards, thats all.

We don't know what Lange's and Purslow's exact roles and responsibilities are. This is why the criticism towards them is more vague. It still exists though, make no mistake. 

On the other hand, we know what Gerrard's exact responsibilities are and even blind men can see he's failing miserably. And not just that - he's causing long term damage while he's here - with every day on the job. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

In such cases you have to stand strong and speak up for yourself. otherwise, you are tantamount to condoning it.

Considering the history between Gerrard and Purslow, who's he going to speak up to? They will simply back each other. Should he go to the owners in that case? Resign maybe? I don't know.

I've thought to myself has Lange been strong enough in this situation? But I'm not sure he's been left many options either way.

I agree not everything is on Gerrard, and we have to be careful not to scapegoat him for every problem we now face. We've a big re-build ahead of us I think, and the more I think about it the more apparent it becomes that Purslow needs to be taking a good portion of the blame.

I hate the word, but we need a 'reset'. We need to set ourselves out a clear philosophy again, on and off the pitch, and we need to make sure the sporting director is allowed to do his job correctly and that everyone is moving in the same direction.

Â