The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

4 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

What about dinner ladies at school ???

You have lunch money though! ;) 

Do you have dinner during the working day? 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Those fellas must have been pretty pissed off. 

9 mins before a ladyboy joke. 

I bloody love VT! :) 

• Thanks 1

There has never been supper in my family.  Is it a regional or a class thing? 

Breakfast and lunch yes. Tea and Dinner completely interchangeable with no seeming logic as to which you use.  Like Sofa and Settee. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Breakfast and lunch yes. Tea and Dinner completely interchangeable.  Like Sofa and Settee. 

My Nan and Grandad had supper but that was because they ate their main cooked meal at about midday and supper was usually sandwiches. 

Dinner for me is my main meal. Lunch is just a sandwich/small bite to eat. For me it doesn't make sense to class a chicken sandwich at 1pm as dinner. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Breakfast and lunch yes. Tea and Dinner completely interchangeable.  Like Sofa and Settee. 

Pretty much this. I love explaining to Americans that you don't have to have tea with your tea. And if you have a cream tea, you certainly don't put the cream in your tea.

Last time I had supper it was milk and biscuits at bedtime when I was about six. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Schooling in south Birmingham from 1974 to 1985, my Mom gave me ‘me dinner money’. My secondary school had so many pupils, the kids were split into different ‘dinner sittings’.

• Like 1

Mrs Sidcow informs me that supper is a light snack you have immediately before bed. This is probably why I've never used it because eating something just before you go to bed is just plain weird and thoroughly deserving of a prime place within this thread. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

My boys school have dinner money credits, they did anyway(please let them have again soon) The only lunch money I’ve heard of is the American singer named LunchMoney Lewis which suggests it is probably an Americanism

5 minutes ago, brommy said:

Schooling in south Birmingham from 1974 to 1985, my Mom gave me ‘me dinner money’. My secondary school had so many pupils, the kids were split into different ‘dinner sittings’.

It seems mid day dinner is an exclusive school thing. Weird how these things come about. 

I wonder if it's because traditionally it may have been the only substantial cooked meal a child might have but now it's more usual to have a large cooked meal in the evening?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It seems mid day dinner is an exclusive school thing. Weird how these things come about. 

I wonder if it's because traditionally it may have been the only substantial cooked meal a child might have but now it's more usual to have a large cooked meal in the evening?

We are used to have bloody milk as well And I remember one day that just stopped

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I rememer as a child I'd sometimes have cereal or toast for supper.

My mum used to serve us up a porkpie and some soup for our dinner/lunch whatever you call it. God bless her, The porkpie in the middle of the soup not separately

Edited by Follyfoot

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

While we're on the subject of correctly naming things, I've had ongoing issues with all sorts of people but predominantly the Scottish with the correct naming conventions for soft drinks. So much so that I've had to go to the trouble of manufacturing an infographic.

Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 19.30.24.png

I trust this brings the matter to a close.

A man I work with will call squash 'pop'.

I said to him, no that's squash. His retort was that pop is a 'treat' drink. And when he was growing up, having a glass of squash was seen as a treat. So, they all used to call it 'pop'. He's in his late 50's though, so maybe goes someway to explain the incorrect naming. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

While we're on the subject of correctly naming things, I've had ongoing issues with all sorts of people but predominantly the Scottish with the correct naming conventions for soft drinks. So much so that I've had to go to the trouble of manufacturing an infographic.

Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 19.30.24.png

I trust this brings the matter to a close.

Isn't there a fundamental difference between squash and cordial? Isn't it down to the concentration levels?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I said to him, no that's squash. His retort was that pop is a 'treat' drink. And when he was growing up, having a glass of squash was seen as a treat. So, they all used to call it 'pop'. He's in his late 50's though, so maybe goes someway to explain the incorrect naming. 

Well I'm in my mid-60s and I regard that as nonsense. Squash ain't pop. Pop is fizzy. OBE's picture nails it. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I was about to type that pop for squash is probably a working class thing. 

In our house pop was always fizzy and a rare treat. 

In junior school I went to play at a friends house.  Even as a young kid I knew they were salt of the earth types.   When his mum asked if I wanted some pop I gave a very overexcited yes please.  I was so disappointed when she brought me a glass of squash I hope I hid it well looking back. 

She probably thought I was weird for getting so excited about a glass of squash. 

I think your man supports this theory. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Â