Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Well there must be other players who've played worse that get subbed before him, as McGinn is the highest average rating on WhoScored and SofaScore for us.

I keep hearing this. I do wonder how often somebody from Whoscored or whatever would give him a negative tick when he plays a lazy awful pass straight to the opposition, then ambled back towards our box.

I know I'm not imagining watching him every week in frustration, and those around me venting theirs too.
If Whoscored reckon McGinn had a better season than Ramsey for instance, then I must respectfully owshty bowsh.

9 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I keep hearing this. I do wonder how often somebody from Whoscored or whatever would give him a negative tick when he plays a lazy awful pass straight to the opposition, then ambled back towards our box.

I know I'm not imagining watching him every week in frustration, and those around me venting theirs too.
If Whoscored reckon McGinn had a better season than Ramsey for instance, then I must respectfully owshty bowsh.

I mean it's probably easy to single McGinn out because he plays so much, so his mistakes are more noticeable than others who don't play as much.   Take Nakamba for instance, people were thinking he was going to be Makelele when he came back from injury, they forgot he was pretty average before his injury.  I guarantee you if McGinn had been dropped for a few games people on here would be clamoring for his return to the starting XI.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Bingo, Mcginn does a lot of good stuff for us and I think it goes under the radar. The idea of giving chuk his place because he has a bigger ceiling is ridiculous. I respect the potential he has but I don’t think he was anywhere near ready to be starting games this season

I maintain everybody needs to earn their place, but isn't giving Ramsey his chance based on his potential exactly why he's now one of the brightest prospects in the league? He hasn't reached anywhere near his peak yet, but who would seriously suggest not starting Ramsey now? How can Carney prove he's worth a spot (or not) if he doesn't get enough time?

25 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Well there must be other players who've played worse that get subbed before him, as McGinn is the highest average rating on WhoScored and SofaScore for us.

There is something odd about this though...

Yes McGinn is a hard-worker and tackler which you would presume gives him a high rating.

Yet he gives the ball away and just disappears for large portions of a game, we all see this on a weekly basis.

It's an interesting argument, in hindsight it might have been better if Chukwuemeka was brought on to replace McGinn after sixty minutes.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I mean it's probably easy to single McGinn out because he plays so much, so his mistakes are more noticeable than others who don't play as much.   Take Nakamba for instance, people were thinking he was going to be Makelele when he came back from injury, they forgot he was pretty average before his injury.  I guarantee you if McGinn had been dropped for a few games people on here would be clamoring for his return to the starting XI.  

Depends who played in his place and how I suppose. We didn't really try it.

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

There is something odd about this though...

Yes McGinn is a hard-worker and tackler which you would presume gives him a high rating.

Yet he gives the ball away and just disappears for large portions of a game, we all see this on a weekly basis.

It's an interesting argument, in hindsight it might have been better if Chukwuemeka was brought on to replace McGinn after sixty minutes.

Why Chuk though? And not Sanson?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I maintain everybody needs to earn their place, but isn't giving Ramsey his chance based on his potential exactly why he's now one of the brightest prospects in the league? He hasn't reached anywhere near his peak yet, but who would seriously suggest not starting Ramsey now? How can Carney prove he's worth a spot (or not) if he doesn't get enough time?

100% you’re right, I just don’t think we were in a position to give carney as much game time as people would have liked. I don’t think a midfield of JJ Luiz and carney is good enough, and haven’t seen enough to suggest carney can do the dirty work Mcginn does. Take that out of an already light midfield and I think we’re just much weaker. 

4 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

100% you’re right, I just don’t think we were in a position to give carney as much game time as people would have liked. I don’t think a midfield of JJ Luiz and carney is good enough, and haven’t seen enough to suggest carney can do the dirty work Mcginn does. Take that out of an already light midfield and I think we’re just much weaker. 

Also just because Ramsey got a chance doesn't mean Chuk should.  It's true Ramsey has worked hard when given his chance, but a lot of luck involved as well.  Would he have have got the chance if Sanson hadn't immediately got injured when he signed?

2 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Bingo, Mcginn does a lot of good stuff for us and I think it goes under the radar. The idea of giving chuk his place because he has a bigger ceiling is ridiculous. I respect the potential he has but I don’t think he was anywhere near ready to be starting games this season

He also does a tonne of things that are awful and aren't tracked that really hurt us and go under the radar. How many times does a midfielder that should be mcginns man score from the edge of the area because McGinn loses his man. How many times does he not sprint to close down a crosser or shooter? How many times does he not sprint back when the ball is in transition?

How many times does he do a ridiculous press out of position which results in an advantage in the middle of the park? 

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He also does a tonne of things that are awful and aren't tracked that really hurt us and go under the radar. How many times does a midfielder that should be mcginns man score from the edge of the area because McGinn loses his man. How many times does he not sprint to close down a crosser or shooter? How many times does he not sprint back when the ball is in transition?

How many times does he do a ridiculous press out of position which results in an advantage in the middle of the park? 

Mcginn does good and bad, but carneys not the answer to all the issues you’ve mentioned 

34 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Mcginn does good and bad, but carneys not the answer to all the issues you’ve mentioned 

I would agree. I'm just countering the point that mcginn is like the 21st best player in the league. 

46 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

In your opinion. Maybe SJM is doing what the manager has asked him to do hence why he’s playing each game.

4 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

If anything this only reinforces my point. What's the point of giving such a proven player 90 minutes every game? You know exactly what you're getting with McGinn. There wasn't exactly a ton of pressure.

I get where you’re coming from but Chuk did get minutes at the end of the season when our season had petered out. Our form before that was pretty dismal around Feb time so throwing a player like Carney in would have been a major gamble as we were at risk of sliding down the table, and actually we did take that gamble just with Tim Iroegbunam instead who personally I thought did well and in my opinion contributed more than Carney in his spells 

1 hour ago, Robbie09 said:

In your opinion. Maybe SJM is doing what the manager has asked him to do hence why he’s playing each game.

That would explain why some people think the manager is clueless :P  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, duke313 said:

sorry posted a john Mcginn response in the wrong thread.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

Tbh I don't think the manager is instructing him to be lazy in key phases of play nor lose his man on the edge of the area. Maybe the pressing is a tactical thing. But ramsey isn't doing the crazy intense presses and he's way quicker than mcginn so I'm not sure it is. 

Â