Formula One - 2020

BOF

I can't quite put into words quite how delighted I am for Perez. He's been mega this season and fully deserves a race win at long last. 

If Red Bull don't give him the seat over Albon there is absolutely no hope for this sport.

• Like 2

Absolute gutted for Russell. Mercedes are the one team you can count on being flawless throughout a weekend and George joins in and they have an absolute mare.

Not a good look for Bottas today though because Russell has made him look quite poor imo.

Edited by Farlz

In Bottas's defence he was **** even more by the pitstop blunder. It must be soul destroying on a weekend like this where you're expected to do well, to go into the pits, have a delayed pitstop though no fault of your own and then come out with the same rubber on, and have the whole world watch George take off into the distance on fresh rubber.  At the end of the day George was absolutely fantastic and he had the measure of Valtteri. It doesn't actually change anything because Bottas has a seat next season, but at least there are now no doubts about Russell's ability to handle the pressure of a top team. He's a future champion given a competitive car. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

In Bottas's defence he was **** even more by the pitstop blunder. It must be soul destroying on a weekend like this where you're expected to do well, to go into the pits, have a delayed pitstop though no fault of your own and then come out with the same rubber on, and have the whole world watch George take off into the distance on fresh rubber.  At the end of the day George was absolutely fantastic and he had the measure of Valtteri. It doesn't actually change anything because Bottas has a seat next season, but at least there are now no doubts about Russell's ability to handle the pressure of a top team. He's a future champion given a competitive car. 

Yes I should be fair in that I wasn't blind to Bottas getting screwed by that Mercedes disasterclass today. I guess like it's been mentioned he couldn't really win either way today but allowing Russell to get in that car and well be that comfortable against him isn't great at all. 

Just one more year of trotting around the back for Russell and he has a nice Mercedes to look forward to in 2022. Absolutely confirmed himself as future World Champion material like you said. 

31 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I really hope Russell gets another chance for that podium next week for the final weekend but I'd guess Lewis should be fine for Abu Dhabi. 

Judging by Wolff's comments, odds are it'll be Russell again. I say odds are. It's a 60-40. It seems Hamilton is not asymptomatic and 'something would need to change' for Lewis to be back. 

37 minutes ago, BOF said:

Judging by Wolff's comments, odds are it'll be Russell again. I say odds are. It's a 60-40. It seems Hamilton is not asymptomatic and 'something would need to change' for Lewis to be back

something like a young driver coming in and showing the world that may, just maybe, if other drivers had a car up to the same standards that Lewis has then he may not have been quite as dominant over the last few years?

4 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

something like a young driver coming in and showing the world that may, just maybe, if other drivers had a car up to the same standards that Lewis has then he may not have been quite as dominant over the last few years?

Well Lewis has already won the title this year, why rush him back from Covid. Yes Russel has done well today, but I’m sure that has no bearing on Lewis. 

16 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

No. The comment was made a few days back. 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Well Lewis has already won the title this year, why rush him back from Covid. Yes Russel has done well today, but I’m sure that has no bearing on Lewis. 

Today we’ve seen that pretty much anyone in that car can be world champion. Lewis is a special driver, but I expect that quite a few of the current generation could win multiple world championships in that car. Makes me wonder why they continue to pay Lewis so much.

It has underlined that Mercedes don’t have any competition at all. The only thing that can beat them is themselves.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

As bad as I feel for Russell, he will no doubt get a top drive and be in a position to get wins in the future at mercedes

Perez has been in the sport for over a decade now and showed he had the speed to be at the top, he joined McLaren who bombed him out after a season and is now without a drive for next year when f1 has drivers like latifi and mazepin on the grid next year, so I'm happy checo gets the win his talent deserved 

Gutted for George. I've been a big fan of his at Williams, clearly driving that car to its maximum, and he proved beyond doubt today that he's a top top driver. Cannot believe what a shambles Mercedes made of this.

Congrats to Perez though. A brilliant race and he's been fantastic all season really.

7 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

and he proved beyond doubt today that he's a top top driver.

It would be interesting to see a few people have a go driving it. The car is head and shoulders above everything else on the grid, and then the 2 main challengers binned their cars on lap one.

I can see Aston Martin dropping way down next season. Worst case scenario is Vettel has actually lost it, and we know Stroll is not up to Perez levels, so they have two 2nd tier drivers next year in a car they didn't design and therefore may very well struggle to improve upon.  It's not like they're a million miles ahead of McLaren or Renault this year and both of those have theoretically stronger driver line-ups next year than this year.  Even Ferrari are improving their line-up getting Sainz for Vettel and you would think they won't be that bad again next year either, plus they're only 2 good race results behind RP this season too. It'd be pretty funny to see Aston finishing 6th in the WCC in 2021 :D