Relegation thread

Knutserov13

Hopefully we stay up but we've still averaged well under a point a game even with Grealish in god mode for 3-4 months of the season.

Reminds me of 14/15 a bit. A brief rally gets us to 38 points and safety with Benteke the main player and likes of Delph, Vlaar and Cleverley playing their parts. They all go and we crash and burn the next season.

One thing's for sure. Even if we survive (and I obviously hope we can do it) we're going to have to produce our best summer window since 2009 just to build an 11 who can finish on 40-45 points and give us a more comfortable mid table season. Add in the tighter transfer window and it's a very tough task e.g. no more taking chances on majority of our signings being mediocre players untested in premier league.

Will still love to survive just to see what we'd do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

Or it’s the fans expectations.

Westwood came in for some horrible abuse on here he couldn’t do this or that.A lot of posters on here only see what a player can’t do rather than what they can do.

Maybe some posters on here can take some responsibility for our problems.

Look at El gazi he made a mistake is it going to help him to abuse him on social media,is it going to affect other players thinking if they make an error they are going to be crucified.

Then we wonder why some players are afraid to take risks with the ball.

We hopefully have 2 games left let’s just think positively about are players and hope we can perform to the best of our ability .I can not forgive a player for not giving his all but I can accept a player giving the ball away or making a mistake.It happens.

The time for proper player assessments is at the end of the season.Now is the time for support and prayer (if you believe in McGrath)

Twitter is just a cresspit. Agents/publicists should get blamed for telling players to create twitter/insta accounts to boost their "brand" as it's more trouble than it is worth. I'd avoid them like a plague if I was a pro player.

Just had a look and Daniel James is generating 12k replies/responses so I imagine those aren't that complimentary about his performance today given the Man. United result. It's wrong but it's a problem at every club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Hopefully we stay up but we've still averaged well under a point a game even with Grealish in god mode for 3-4 months of the season.

Reminds me of 14/15 a bit. A brief rally gets us to 38 points and safety with Benteke the main player and likes of Delph, Vlaar and Cleverley playing their parts. They all go and we crash and burn the next season.

One thing's for sure. Even if we survive (and I obviously hope we can do it) we're going to have to produce our best summer window since 2009 just to build an 11 who can finish on 40-45 points and give us a more comfortable mid table season. Add in the tighter transfer window and it's a very tough task e.g. no more taking chances on majority of our signings being mediocre players untested in premier league.

In 2015 we lost several key players who had been here for at least 3 years, in a squad that wasn't developing and with owners reluctant to spend even a single pound (or dollar). The situation is quite different and I am confident that if, against all odds, we manage to stay up, we will keep all of our best players with the very possible exception of Jack. If we go down I'm a bit concerned, especially for Luiz 

• Like 1

Its amazing that a few rubbish results from our rivals and we now think we can win 2 in a row.  after 1 win in 12.  We are still in deep trouble but at least it is not quite all over  yet. Watford are still favourites to stay up imo even with the Peason situation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TRO said:

Wilder has been winning since he went in to The club......he has bought his time.

Do you subscribe to just sticking with Dean, no matter what, even if we continue to fail to win?, like this season....at what point, do you think it is fair to question his performance?.....if we go down, do you go with the same narrative and give him what? 10 games, half a season or a full season?

when exactly is your opinion of time up.

Did dyche buy his time when he relegated Burnley?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WooJung said:

In 2015 we lost several key players who had been here for at least 3 years, in a squad that wasn't developing and with owners reluctant to spend even a single pound (or dollar). The situation is quite different and I am confident that if, against all odds, we manage to stay up, we will keep all of our best players with the very possible exception of Jack. If we go down I'm a bit concerned, especially for Luiz 

Yes I think we'd keep all bar Jack (and even that would give him more of a serious decision to make). However we still haven't got close to 40 points and I'd like us one season soon in the top flight to at least hint we could be a top half team again at least. To do that we need to sign genuine quality at CB, DM, out wide and upfront rather than more crossing fingers signings.

Current odds on staying up with Coral are Watford 4/11, Villa 10/3 & Bournemouth 7/1. Clearly they're banking on points on the board and ignoring the situation at Watford. 

Edited by John

You just have to hope City take care of business. I'll take a routine 4-0 win from them. That'll level our goal differences. Which means we'll just have to match Watford's result against Arsenal while of course beating West Ham. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Its amazing that a few rubbish results from our rivals and we now think we can win 2 in a row.  after 1 win in 12.  We are still in deep trouble but at least it is not quite all over  yet. Watford are still favourites to stay up imo even with the Peason situation.

To be fair we don't need to win two in a row. 

It's perfectly feasible that a loss and a win could keep us up.

• Like 2

Honestly this season is bonkers. I've gone from having hope to no hope to lots of hope again! Bournemouth look virtually gone, Watford are in turmoil off the pitch with managers and a hard last 2 games. In a weird kind of way we seem the most together out the three. That alone could save us. Feeling a lot more hopeful than I was immediately after Everton have to say. Can really see us sneaking this on goal difference on the last day 🤞 believe folks! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

We may not need to win that much. One win could be enough 

Edited by MikeAVFC

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair we don't need to win two in a row. 

It's perfectly feasible that a loss and a win could keep us up.

Exactly this. Plus I'm not buying that Watford are still the favourites. They will 100% lose their last 2 games and they're banking on us and Bournemouth not winning a game between us. A risky strategy. One of us will dig out a result and relegate Watford. Hopefully it's us 

Edited by MikeAVFC

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

IF we survive I think we are in good position going forward. Centre back, midfielder and couple of good wingers and we be fine. We have been stuck this season as we needed to build from scratch, that has been the main problem

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

IF we survive I think we are in good position going forward. Centre back, midfielder and couple of good wingers and we be fine. We have been stuck this season as we needed to build from scratch, that has been the main problem

If we stay up, I'd be really excited to see the type of business we do next summer. We'd have the TV money to spend again, but this time on 4/5 players and not 11/12. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If we stay up, I'd be really excited to see the type of business we do next summer. We'd have the TV money to spend again, but this time on 4/5 players and not 11/12. 

pretty much this, this season was about building a squad and survival. after that everything is possible if we can do it

3 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

Look at El gazi he made a mistake

3 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

I can not forgive a player for not giving his all

I think this is the problem some fans have with AEG - he looked like he bottled it. You must see it differently.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I feel like I'm the only one who thinks that even if we stay up we're possibly losing 3 of our best players.

Personally I think Jack and Dougie will be gone with there way, then potentially one of Mings or McGinn.

The counter argument is that we come out of the gate early with some big intent to show that we're not content to circle the drain again - I just hope that we do.

17 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

I feel like I'm the only one who thinks that even if we stay up we're possibly losing 3 of our best players.

Personally I think Jack and Dougie will be gone with there way, then potentially one of Mings or McGinn.

The counter argument is that we come out of the gate early with some big intent to show that we're not content to circle the drain again - I just hope that we do.

McGinn is not going anywhere, likely even if we get relegated. PL teams won't exactly be lining up to sign him with his form this season despite an early flurry. Mings too hasn't exactly covered himself in glory. Only one I can see is Jack, because he's actually good enough to attract interest from teams that can prize him away from his boyhood club.

But then that would mean another £80m or so on top of the TV money, and as much as it hurts to say, that could be a blessing in disguise. But I agree, I hope that the owners flex their muscles. Who knows, if they reassure Jack that we'll be making major moved he might give it 1 more season. If we find ourselves battling relegation again, he can leave with our blessings.

• Like 1

We need to win at least one of our last two to stand a chance of staying up, which is easier said than done when you've only won one of your last fourteen and that solitary win was against a Crystal Palace side that have lost their last five games, and then a single win very well might not be enough, meaning we might have to get something from Arsenal, again easier said than done given our form against anyone half decent in the league.

Survival is still possible.

5 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

I think this is the problem some fans have with AEG - he looked like he bottled it. You must see it differently.

To me, I think some of these fans want to see that he bottled it as it fits in with a weird narrative (at least held by people around me in the lower Holte) of El Ghazi being lazy/not up for the fight/an awful player. It was a terrible miss but I don’t think he bottled going for it. Not intended to come across as ‘better fan’, just disturbs me the anti AEG sentiment from a lot of fans.

• Like 4