Relegation thread

Knutserov13

7 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I can’t imagine the damage he would have done had we won the Fulham playoff final. 

We would be where Wigan are or probably even worse off

33 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

We are paying for the atrocious transfers that we made in our first season in the championship.We spent a huge amount of our parachute payments on total dross McCormack, Kodja,Hogan,Tsibola etc .I think about 50 million was wasted.

Bruce then had to recruit players for low or minimal transfer fees who were mostly coming to the end of their careers Whelan Jedinak etc or fill the squad out with loan players Axel,Abraham .

That effectively left us with no stable collective core we could add to when we got promoted.We had to create a brand new team and as we see some of the recruitment has been poor.

Has a premier league club ever signed so many players at one time before and been successful?I can’t think of any.

I'm not sure Bruce had to do that. The wages we were paying out were huge. I think Bruce wanted to go down that route. 

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

West Ham down 0-1. They aren't out of this yet. If we beat them on the last day, there's still only 1 point in it. They also play Watford in a couple of games time.

Aunt. Balls. Uncle.

From the outside looking in aswell , when we spent 3 years down there, we are way too soft when it comes to negotiating with a player. Loads have downed tools the minute they walked through the Villa door and some were in hindsight just not very good. A culture of winning must be established here, not entitlement. And with the playing staff especially, that culture comes from your coaching team. Maybe we'll dispense of the head coach model going forward and revert to a manager who has far more autonomy on who comes and goes. Smith and Suso - it's such a weird random fit even.

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

Ah, I forgot we are already officially relegated. That's definitely not a hypothetical scenario, no sir.

We aren't. Just not won since January but hey ho. We'll suddenly blow away all around us, can't wait for this. United be warned, were coming. ( Oh how could villa stay up with negative fans like me yada yada zzzzzz )

Just now, Johnnyp said:

We aren't. Just not won since January but hey ho. We'll suddenly blow away all around us, can't wait for this. United be warned, were coming. ( Oh how could villa stay up with negative fans like me yada yada zzzzzz )

Not all, just the mighty West Ham who've picked up roughly as many points as we have in that time, if not less. They must be hiding their true power level and saving it for the last day against us.

Typical of our luck that just as Watford are about to play them, Saint Maxim, Almiron and Lascelles are injury doubts for Newcastle, although Almiron made the bench today so his injury isn't as bad. Really could do with Newcastle winning that one, hopefully after today they want to make ammends.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not all, just the mighty West Ham who've picked up roughly as many points as we have in that time, if not less. They must be hiding their true power level and saving it for the last day against us.

They are 4 points ahead of us with a better goal difference. 

Our next game is Man U - I really can't see where we get 5 points whilst W Ham get none. 4 pts might not sounds much - but down the bottom its  quite a margin.....IMO 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Look, i mean it's all subjective but would you rather be in their position or ours ? Can piss and moan about how equally bad they are to us, which of course isn't factual because they've 4 more points than us. Yes we've a game in hand but it's a moot point when you speak about Villa. Even you can't keep a straight face and tell me we'll win tomorrow. Game in hands are all well and good. Ya have to win em though .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

they arent hiding their ability. they beat chelsea. more than we did. oh and they play both watford and norwich in the coming weeks. they will get at least another 3pts

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

They are 4 points ahead of us with a better goal difference. 

Our next game is Man U - I really can't see where we get 5 points whilst W Ham get none. 4 pts might not sounds much - but down the bottom its  quite a margin.....IMO 

We will obviously have to beat them on the final day. Will have to do that regardless of West Ham's involvement. They will be safe if they beat Norwich and Watford regardless of what they do in last 20 minutes tonight so still a pretty good position to be in.

• Like 1

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Look, i mean it's all subjective but would you rather be in their position or ours ? Can piss and moan about how equally bad they are to us, which of course isn't factual because they've 4 more points than us. Yes we've a game in hand but it's a moot point when you speak about Villa. Even you can't keep a straight face and tell me we'll win tomorrow. Game in hands are all well and good. Ya have to win em though .

I honestly don't care about any of that. The fact is, if it remains this way with Burnley, provided we beat them on the last day, which I hope we still intend to do, there's essentially just 1 point between us. That's just a fact. Whether we will pick up 1 more point than them before the last day remains to be seen, but that's not the point. The point is, this isn't exactly insurmountable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We will obviously have to beat them on the final day. Will have to do that regardless of West Ham's involvement. They will be safe if they beat Norwich and Watford regardless of what they do in last 20 minutes tonight so still a pretty good position to be in.

And Watford i think will be safe if they beat Newcastle and i think they will, not going on the evidence of this evening, City can do that to anyone. Watford will get a win and a point elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

And Watford i think will be safe if they beat Newcastle and i think they will, not going on the evidence of this evening, City can do that to anyone. Watford will get a win and a point elsewhere.

So Watford will beat Newcastle, but suggesting that we can beat West Ham is outlandish. Honest question, have you seen Watford play? They're actually worse than us, which is some feat.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I honestly don't care about any of that. The fact is, if it remains this way with Burnley, provided we beat them on the last day, which I hope we still intend to do, there's essentially just 1 point between us. That's just a fact. Whether we will pick up 1 more point than them before the last day remains to be seen, but that's not the point. The point is, this isn't exactly insurmountable. 

No. West Ham are 4 points ahead of Aston Villa. That is a fact. An irrefutable one at that. You start a sentence with the the words " the fact is " then your next word is " if " and look hey what you are saying may or may not happen, bloody well hope it does but you can't lump it in with the word fact. One fact. They are 4 points ahead of us. The rest is hypothetical.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

So Watford will beat Newcastle, but suggesting that we can beat West Ham is outlandish. Honest question, have you seen Watford play? They're actually worse than us, which is some feat.

Just personal opinion. I think United beat us, again, that's just me and i think Watford will then be motivated to put real daylight between us and them. We've work to do before that West Ham game even becomes relevant. We need points. None of this targeting this game or that game. If we go out to try and stay in the game as long as possible tomorrow we'll get beaten. We aren't good enough, shape, tactically, playing out from the back if we win it back from them to nick it. Attitude must be on a different level tomorrow but i mean it feels like we are always saying this because you know United are coming hard tomorrow . That's a given.

Edited by Johnnyp

Some don't want to admit there's hope because they're scared of being disappointed  should we fail, but we'll be disappointed anyway so might as well hope.

I'm not very optimistic about our chances, but can't rule out surviving, the whole picture could look completely different after this weekend, for the worse or for the better.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

No. West Ham are 4 points ahead of Aston Villa. That is a fact. An irrefutable one at that. You start a sentence with the the words " the fact is " then your next word is " if " and look hey what you are saying may or may not happen, bloody well hope it does but you can't lump it in with the word fact. One fact. They are 4 points ahead of us. The rest is hypothetical.

Still a fact, sorry. If we're not banking on beating our relegation rivals, then we might as well throw in the towel.