Generic Virus Thread

villakram

WHO clarifies 'immunity passport' advice

The World Health Organization (WHO) has sought to clarify the advice it published on Saturday about so-called “immunity passports”, which could be issued to people who have recovered from Covid-19 on the assumption that they would be immune to reinfection.

The WHO alarmed some in the scientific community when it said, in a briefing note published on Saturday, that “there is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from Covid-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection”.

Late last night, the Geneva-based body walked back its statement, saying: “We expect that most people who are infected with #COVID19 will develop an antibody response that will provide some level of protection.”

Grauniad

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Their communication on that was rubbish, wasn't it. I think they were trying to say 'we don't have definitive proof that the antibody response will provide immunity', whereas what people heard was 'nobody who gets it will have any protection from getting it again'.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, snowychap said:

We've heard some unconfirmed report here and there. About people in places China and South Korea being reinfected after testing positive but has anyone in Europe or America had this confirmed? 

I'm pretty sure that by now this far into the virus at least one person would have been reinfected by now if this was any kind of real problem. 

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We've heard some unconfirmed report here and there. About people in places China and South Korea being reinfected after testing positive but has anyone in Europe or America had this confirmed? 

I'm pretty sure that by now this far into the virus at least one person would have been reinfected by now if this was any kind of real problem. 

There is no confirmed case of re-infection. All identified examples have large probabilities that the initial infection had not in fact cleared.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Your man ‘Robert Cozad’ there is also quite the character on Facebook 🤔

OK, no idea

Don't really do Facebook, only got the clip sent to me on Messenger.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Their communication on that was rubbish, wasn't it. I think they were trying to say 'we don't have definitive proof that the antibody response will provide immunity', whereas what people heard was 'nobody who gets it will have any protection from getting it again'.

Yes, you're right.

It should have been a cautionary notice about making assumptions and basing policy on that when there isn't the evidence to support it currently but it could have been read as something very different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

The point that they made at the end of the brief was:

At this point in the pandemic, there is not enough evidence about the effectiveness of antibody-mediated immunity to guarantee the accuracy of an “immunity passport” or “risk-free certificate.” People who assume that they are immune to a second infection because they have received a positive test result may ignore public health advice. The use of such certificates may therefore increase the risks of continued transmission. As new evidence becomes available, WHO will update this scientific brief.

One of the dangers I think they are suggesting guarding against, is making the assumption you have here, assuming that this will be the case for ever more and then basing policy on that (along with issues about the accuracy of tests).

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Weren’t you an early adopter of the old and infirm being nothing more than collateral damage. The arguments then are the same now. 

Thank you 👍....I assumed we all knew what I meant, and what I meant had nothing to do with the obvious fact that yes, some people who died would’ve died anyway.

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Why? 

It is an absolute fact that some will have, how many we don’t know of course but it’s 100% correct that some will have.

It’s sad, tragic in some cases, no one wants specific individuals to die but it’s a guaranteed eventuality for all of us, I don’t know why an adult conversation can’t take place on this.

It’s very ‘think of the children’ to just dismiss it so readily.

The clue is I said “ ideas”. 

I didn’t say “ I can’t believe we are still hearing some people would have died anyway.” 
Because as you say it’s a simple fact.

I was referring to the  use of this simple fact in the development of ideas questioning the veracity of the virus, and the reaction to it.

I am sorry I really did think that was obvious ! Ah well, it is now.

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

At this point I reckon people travelling to the UK are more at risk of catching the virus than spreading it!

Almost certainly true at this point - but it probably wasn't true on the 13th of March, which is her point.

7 hours ago, snowychap said:

Therein lies the problem.

You seem not to be getting the difference between saying that there's overlap between the groups at risk of death from coronavirus and death due to other reasons and saying that those who died would have died anyway (with whatever qualifier people deign to add - fair chunk/largely, for example).

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I was feeling very run down and achy with a slight fever so I injected bleach directly into my eye, I did good, right guys?

I bet you’re not worrying about a slight fever any more 

• Haha 1

Â