Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Approaching 2 weeks of zero cases here.

It’ll be interesting to see if that continues with the island opened up to dirty outsiders.

The theory is, it’s as outdoor as you can get, the seaside. So there shouldn’t be any impact.

But human beans are funny old beans, given a trip to the coast, it was clear yesterday that what people actually did, was all stand under the same shelter, congregated around two chip shops. A mile of empty beach, three other beaches in comfortable walking distance, but everyone squashed together in the same place. Like subliminal voluntary kettling for the hard of thinking.

It’ll probably be fine and hopefully we’ve truly reached a tipping point with the vaccinations. But it felt like quite a good illustration of why for the last 12 months, trusting in people’s ‘common sense’ was probably never a good option.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Approaching 2 weeks of zero cases here.

It’ll be interesting to see if that continues with the island opened up to dirty outsiders.

The theory is, it’s as outdoor as you can get, the seaside. So there shouldn’t be any impact.

But human beans are funny old beans, given a trip to the coast, it was clear yesterday that what people actually did, was all stand under the same shelter, congregated around two chip shops. A mile of empty beach, three other beaches in comfortable walking distance, but everyone squashed together in the same place. Like subliminal voluntary kettling for the hard of thinking.

It’ll probably be fine and hopefully we’ve truly reached a tipping point with the vaccinations. But it felt like quite a good illustration of why for the last 12 months, trusting in people’s ‘common sense’ was probably never a good option.

Well it all depends on what happens next as you say.

It’ll either clearly indicate that we’re fine to begin moving back to normality or as you say, it’ll highlight that we might have to adjust our way of life for a while longer.

I suspect, perhaps more through hope than expectation, that the former will prove true.

Interesting comments from Macron today that in a few weeks France will have completely caught up with Britain and that Britain will be increasingly dependent on the EU for vaccinations.

I hope the other European countries can massively ramp up their vaccinations as it lessons the likelihood of further mutations and means we can all move about more freely in terms of travelling abroad.  

Edited by markavfc40

46 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Interesting comments from Macron today that in a few weeks France will have completely caught up with Britain and that Britain will be increasingly dependent on the EU for vaccinations.

They'll still jabbing less a day than the UK from what I can see, but it is getting closer. 

Macron is struggling at the moment, could well lose the election to Le Pen. 

An example of what I consider shit public health messaging:

'Get your trainers on': public urged to resume sport after lockdown

'England has been urged to “get its trainers on” and comply with medical advice on exercise, with the prime minister joining a series of English sports stars in cajoling the country to get back to sporting activity following a shutdown of grassroots facilities that has lasted for more than three months.

[...]

The culture secretary, Oliver Dowden, has laid out the levels of activity recommended by the chief medical officer. “The long wait is over,” he said. “I urge everyone to get their trainers on, get outside and enjoy all of the positive benefits sport can bring. We want to see children be active 60 minutes a day, and adults two and a half hours a week to help us build back fitter, healthier and happier from this pandemic.”'

from: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/29/get-your-trainers-on-public-urged-to-resume-sport-after-lockdown

Does hectoring like this ever actually encourage people? 'Get your trainers on' as an instruction makes it sound like people have been deliberately lazy, whereas the truth is all facilities have been closed and their media outriders have been shaming people for walks if they have been in unapproved ways.

People don't need 'cajoling' or talking to like imbeciles about the benefits of exercise, they need the government to back the **** off and stop micro-managing this aspect of their lives.

• Like 3

It's mad 90% of exercise was banned in the first place.

Gyms, I get; anything indoor too.

But team sports outdoors? Why?

Luckily over here, apart from a month gap at the start, I've been able to keep playing football. If I wasn't able to, I think my mental state would be a lot worse.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

An example of what I consider shit public health messaging:

'Get your trainers on': public urged to resume sport after lockdown

'England has been urged to “get its trainers on” and comply with medical advice on exercise, with the prime minister joining a series of English sports stars in cajoling the country to get back to sporting activity following a shutdown of grassroots facilities that has lasted for more than three months.

[...]

The culture secretary, Oliver Dowden, has laid out the levels of activity recommended by the chief medical officer. “The long wait is over,” he said. “I urge everyone to get their trainers on, get outside and enjoy all of the positive benefits sport can bring. We want to see children be active 60 minutes a day, and adults two and a half hours a week to help us build back fitter, healthier and happier from this pandemic.”'

from: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/29/get-your-trainers-on-public-urged-to-resume-sport-after-lockdown

Does hectoring like this ever actually encourage people? 'Get your trainers on' as an instruction makes it sound like people have been deliberately lazy, whereas the truth is all facilities have been closed and their media outriders have been shaming people for walks if they have been in unapproved ways.

People don't need 'cajoling' or talking to like imbeciles about the benefits of exercise, they need the government to back the **** off and stop micro-managing this aspect of their lives.

GettyImages-535786203-1024x708.jpg

00labour6.jpg

First couple of football training sessions confirmed for the boys this week with matches commencing a week on Sunday, mood has already become more positive in the house long may it continue, massively important for youngsters to get back in a social interaction environment 

• Like 3

Just now, Follyfoot said:

First couple of football training sessions confirmed for the boys this week with matches commencing a week on Sunday, mood has already become more positive in the house long may it continue, massively important for youngsters to get back in a social interaction environment 

My boy has training tonight, first match on the 10th. He can’t wait to play, I can’t wait to watch.

Just a shame the training venue has a strict stay in your car or go away and come back policy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

My boy has training tonight, first match on the 10th. He can’t wait to play, I can’t wait to watch.

Just a shame the training venue has a strict stay in your car or go away and come back policy.

How about standing up through your sunroof? Was seriously thinking of giving it a go until the lad pleaded with me not to 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

How about standing up through your sunroof? Was seriously thinking of giving it a go until the lad pleaded with me not to 

To be honest I tend to park in a place where I can watch through the window. There’s only 1 space where I can see the 3G pitch from the car park.

In a couple of weeks they move to the grass pitch where they train so it’ll be fine then. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

To be honest I tend to park in a place where I can watch through the window. There’s only 1 space where I can see the 3G pitch from the car park.

In a couple of weeks they move to the grass pitch where they train so it’ll be fine then. 

Enjoy 👍

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Zero evidence of spread in open air spaces.

Shit science takes precedent over normal and essential social norms, again.

How do all the footballers who test positive catch it?

• Like 1

It's a silly question then.

it implies the only place that footballers could have caught Covid, was on the pitch.

Which isn't the case. They all have partners, kids, family who could have caught it.

Again, it's just bad science to place any restrictions on outdoor sports.

The reason for stopping the football season wasn't because of 22 blokes being close to each other on a pitch; but all of the other stuff that goes with it.

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's a silly question then.

it implies the only place that footballers could have caught Covid, was on the pitch.

Which isn't the case. They all have partners, kids, family who could have caught it.

Again, it's just bad science to place any restrictions on outdoor sports.

The reason for stopping the football season wasn't because of 22 blokes being close to each other on a pitch; but all of the other stuff that goes with it.

We know that the virus moves from person to person via the droplets being exhaled as they breathe.

People breathe a lot faster and harder when doing sports and in close proximity of others.

Yes, footballers can pick it up in other places too, It was more the “zero evidence of...” comment that is clearly incorrect.

• Like 2

Â