OutByEaster?

Honouring Ron Saunders  

285 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to see the Club honour the memory of Ron Saunders

• Renaming the North Stand in his name
    • Renaming the Trinity Road Stand in his name
    • Having a statue of him at the rear of the Holte End
    • Doing something that isn't one of those options

Following the sad news last week, the club are very keen to honour Ron Saunders are looking for fans to feed back on the way we'd like to see it done.

Some of the ideas that are being floated are the renaming of a stand, or a statue or some other commemorative construction.

Within that, there will obviously be a groundswell of the usual calls for the name of Doug Ellis to be removed from the Witton Lane stand - and, no matter how tempting that might be - I think most people would agree that it would be disrespectful to the surviving family of Doug Ellis - that stand is what it is and until there's a proper and decent chance to rename it, like a redevelopment - then it will remain that way. The club are certainly not prepared to consider it at the moment.

No one wants to rename the Holte End, because...well because no one is mental.

So there are two choices for a stand to rename; The Trinity Road Stand and the North Stand. 

Personally, I'm attached to the The Trinity Road Stand name - for me, it's evocative, it's entirely a "Villa" thing and I guess it reminds me of the stand that was there before and therefore provides a link to our history - but I also understand that in the cold light of day, it's just a 20 year old modern grandstand made of aluminium, steel and brick.

The North Stand isn't much loved and I don't think there's the same attachment to the name as there is to The Holte End or Trinity Road Stand (or for that matter Witton Lane) - there are still people who haven't adjusted to it being called The North Stand and know it as the Witton End. It would therefore be seen as a less emotive renaming to call it The Ron Saunders Stand - but, I guess there's then the issue of whether or not the North Stand in all its limited glory is how we'd like Ron Saunders remembered. Please don't hold out for the idea of a redeveloped North Stand being a fitting tribute - there are no plans in the immediate future or indeed for the foreseeable future for that to happen - if the club rename the North Stand, it will be this North Stand.

Then there's the possibility of a statue at the Holte End, celebrating the great man - a slightly less showy tribute perhaps and one that would be much less noticed outside of those who regularly visit Villa Park - but maybe that's reflective of the type of man he was.

Or maybe there's something that the club haven't thought of - a perfect tribute that's as obvious as the nose on your face, but as yet unsaid.

Anyways - the people to whom this is important are you lot - us - and the people who run the club would like to know what we think - so please, your suggestions below and your votes in the poll.

Personally I'm not one for renaming stands - if Ron has one, shouldn't McGregor? shouldn't Ramsay? A club with our history is not short of legendary figures and there are only four edges to the pitch - plus I like the history of the names Trinity, Witton and Holte - say those names to football fans anywhere and they'll know where you are - and so would their grandads. That's not to say that Ron isn't important to me or to the club - it's just not a thing I like - maybe due in part to the only example we've had.

I'd like to see a statue;  a big 'un. 

• Like 3

A rebuilt North Stand after the great man ideally.  The existing stand is tatty even though that is where I sit.

I love the idea of various legends having statues in a row along Trinity.

• Like 1

I was a silly billy and voted before reading the thread. I'd like to have a new north stand named after him, but as that's not in the plans then I think a statue would be great.

It's a shame we didn't do something like this when he was around to see it, but hey ho.

5 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I was a silly billy and voted before reading the thread. I'd like to have a new north stand named after him, but as that's not in the plans then I think a statue would be great.

It's a shame we didn't do something like this when he was around to see it, but hey ho.

If you click the show vote options beneath the results I think you can change your vote. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

Same here, but you can change your vote. 

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Mods: Could this be a poll option ? 

Possibly, I think it's a great idea - but personally I don't think it needs to be an alternative to the things in the poll. I think it's something we could do anyway, either for the Norwich game or for a future game. I'll make sure it's an idea the club hears about.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Just to re-iterate, there is no rebuilt North Stand - Mr Purslow was clear on that at the meeting earlier this week - it's not in the clubs plans at all.

Sorry I didn't read your minutes OBE but I'm really surprised by that. I take it they're ruling it out for next 5 years or so?

If we continue our momentum we're going to have a big waiting list for season tickets, membership now means getting tickets for weekend games is near on impossible. There are always calls for a club musuem/fan park and for those who sit in the North Upper and lower the views are generally good but the facilities and space certainly isn't.

Can't see any way club can provide solutions for some of those issues without a rebuild of the stand. As long as we stay up (guess a relegation is very much in their thoughts atm) and then sign well and improve next season this period is the ideal time to get things up and running.

Edit: After your reply probably wrong thread to discuss this. Will take my thoughts to the fixing Villa Park thread.

Edited by VillaChris

14 hours ago, S-Platt said:

A rebuilt North Stand after the great man ideally.  The existing stand is tatty even though that is where I sit.

I love the idea of various legends having statues in a row along Trinity.

I like this idea, or perhaps a walk of fame set into the pavement? We can all think of plenty of names from the past to make a decent start then that can be added to as we dominate English and European football over the next couple of centuries.....

What about a 110 inch (9.16666667 feet) tall statue?

110% was Ron's motto, and it would count for a lot today

All Premier League teams likely give 100% it's the extra bit on top of that which makes Champions & wins trophies. A good example of how this is possible is to stand up on your tip toes & reach as high as you can....

Once you have done that now imagine your life depends on finding another couple of centimeters... I guarantee everyone would find that extra bit. That is the extra bit Ron was on about and i feel a statue should incorporate that 110% effort mantra somehow.

Greatest Villa team i ever saw that was and i so wish he had stayed to continue his work.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, colhint said:

As we've got Morley crosses to withe, which was as we all know down to him, but technically not him, perhaps we could find a place for do you want to bet against us.

Yeah tag on with " @ bet 365" and we could make a few quid in sponsorship as well.

• Haha 2

Â