Honouring Ron Saunders  

285 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to see the Club honour the memory of Ron Saunders

• Renaming the North Stand in his name
    • Renaming the Trinity Road Stand in his name
    • Having a statue of him at the rear of the Holte End
    • Doing something that isn't one of those options

22 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

My point in this would be that any redevelopment of stands would probably require renaming due to offsetting costs which would imo take any shine off his name being used. For example, 'The Ron Saunders Brand Name Stand'. Doesn't feel right. It would also be quite some way off happening.

I think a statue commissioned by the club and funded by all would be a wonderful way of paying homage. Maybe even a duel statue with him and Barton would be pretty cool too. Something like them sitting together in the dugout(No dugout obviously, just a bench) would be class. Life size figures that everyone could take photos next to. between the stairs at the bottom of the Holte.  

I pay particular attention to your inclusion of Barton, because he was instrumental in bringing most of our signings in.....and while I wish to take nothing away from Ron, because he was magnificent, Tony was a very knowledgeable football man too.

Saunders-Barton & McLaren was a magical combination...who together produced a football team as opposed to 11 individuals.

Before my time but an absolute mainstay of Villa's history and some of this clubs most glorious memories.

I made my vote but I think there would be a number of ways to remember his legacy that we could embark upon.

Rename the new training ground?

It would inspire players and coaches alike to aspire to the levels of achievement we enjoyed under Saunders' tenure.

Every time we step foot on the pitch to prepare and better our play we are reminded that we've won it all as a consequence of his work.

• Like 3

Well I'd like to see the stands called The Holte End, Trinity Road, Witton Lane and a new name for the replacement North Stand if that ever happens.

I think Ron would go for some irony. The Ron Saunders Chip Van Side Turnstyle. It's the only one I'd go through.

I suspect that Ron might well have smiled at the very prospect of the Witton Lane/Scottish Stand bearing his name. Failing that, it should be the North Stand for me. The present stand for now and a new stand, when built can both be named after him.     

• Like 1

In the subcontinental cricket grounds they have instead of blocks (k1,k2 etc) they have ‘enclosures’ named after legendary figures of the local ground and the national teams. Wasim Akram enclosure, Sachin Tendulkar enclosure. 

We should do the same. So you’d have the Pongo Waring block/enclosure, the Peter Mcparland block should be the upper Holte as lets face it our most raucous fans reside there 😉

This way forgotten legends of our club get the recognition they deserve. To accompany this if one buys a season ticket they should receive a printed (signed if alive) magazine / newsletter about the legend through the post relative to the block/enclosure they buy the seat in.

Another moot point is our current and future players might have incentive to get their name on an enclosure.  It can start with one or two of our stands and then expand from there. 

Naturally i look forward to taking a dump in the Micah Richards and Joleon Lescott toilets.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bump.

Obviously his death came just before COVID. Hopefully as we resume some sort of normality the club can do something to honour his memory.

My idea maybe the first or early game next season we have a special edition matchday programme - maybe the program proceeds or extra we add an extra £1 on - could go to dementia research.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hippo said:

Bump.

Obviously his death came just before COVID. Hopefully as we resume some sort of normality the club can do something to honour his memory.

My idea maybe the first or early game next season we have a special edition matchday programme - maybe the program proceeds or extra we add an extra £1 on - could go to dementia research.

I thought it was very low key the events Villa did on his passing. It was acceptable but we hardly went out of our way to mark our most successful manager (well certainly post war) in our history.  When you compare to what United did with Busby, Clough at Forest etc.

Maybe it was partly because it was a long time ago that Saunders managed Villa and the fact he distanced himself from football after his retirement. He rarely visited Villa Park  as I think he fell out of love of the game and also because he did not get along with Ellis. He kept himself to himself and not many in the modern media would have probably heard of him which is a great pity.

Some sort of recognition is needed at Villa Park for that whole 1974-1984 era with Saunders, Barton and the players. We have 1 mural in the Holte End and that's it to cover a decade which had  1 promotion, 2 league cups, our only title in the last 100  plus years, and the European Cup and Super Cup. Which we will probably never achieve again.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I thought it was very low key the events Villa did on his passing. It was acceptable but we hardly went out of our way to mark our most successful manager (well certainly post war) in our history.  When you compare to what United did with Busby, Clough at Forest etc.

Maybe it was partly because it was a long time ago that Saunders managed Villa and the fact he distanced himself from football after his retirement. He rarely visited Villa Park  as I think he fell out of love of the game and also because he did not get along with Ellis. He kept himself to himself and not many in the modern media would have probably heard of him which is a great pity.

Some sort of recognition is needed at Villa Park for that whole 1974-1984 era with Saunders, Barton and the players. We have 1 mural in the Holte End and that's it to cover a decade which had  1 promotion, 2 league cups, our only title in the last 100  plus years, and the European Cup and Super Cup. Which we will probably never achieve again.

I wasn't aware we did anything at all. From memory we were promised a tribute towards the end of the season. Then covid hit.

12 hours ago, hippo said:

Bump.

My personal feeling on it is that nothing sits higher than getting a stand renamed after you. But in terms of what you said there, that's something that doesn't have to be a one off event. That could be done every season.

• Like 1

Â