OutByEaster?

Honouring Ron Saunders  

285 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to see the Club honour the memory of Ron Saunders

• Renaming the North Stand in his name
    • Renaming the Trinity Road Stand in his name
    • Having a statue of him at the rear of the Holte End
    • Doing something that isn't one of those options

Ordinarily I am against the deification of players or individuals. However, I make two exceptions: 

Peter McParland who 60+ years after scoring two to beat Manure in the FA cup final, attends Villa Park every time he can and........

Ron Saunders who brought more happiness to Villa fans in living memory. 

Naming the North Stand for him would be an insult. Needs to be the Trinity or even better the Witton Lane stand to remove the current stain.

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

On 14/12/2019 at 11:35, Five Ken McNaughts said:

And while the North Stand carries no such fondness (and is the only part of Villa Park to remain from the Ron Saunders era) it would feel a bit like personalising a chipped mug

I couldn't agree more with this. I brought a mate along to a game last season, he's not a Villa fan, and we could only get seats in the north stand. It was honestly embarrassing. It's a complete shithole, and not something I want Ron's name anywhere near.

I can just imagine the name being unveiled with his family thinking "oh, they picked the shit one".

A statue would be fitting. Failing that, rename one of the suites?

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

On 14/12/2019 at 02:12, MikeMcKenna said:

Ordinarily I am against the deification of players or individuals. However, I make two exceptions: 

Peter McParland who 60+ years after scoring two to beat Manure in the FA cup final, attends Villa Park every time he can and........

Ron Saunders who brought more happiness to Villa fans in living memory. 

Naming the North Stand for him would be an insult. Needs to be the Trinity or even better the Witton Lane stand to remove the current stain.

This is why I voted the 4th option.

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I couldn't agree more with this. I brought a mate along to a game last season, he's not a Villa fan, and we could only get seats in the north stand. It was honestly embarrassing. It's a complete shithole, and not something I want Ron's name anywhere near.

I can just imagine the name being unveiled with his family thinking "oh, they picked the shit one".

A statue would be fitting. Failing that, rename one of the suites?

This is my thinking as well. If we rebuilt the stand and named it after him that’s one thing but picking the run down stand and adding his name would be pretty disrespectful. 

My point in this would be that any redevelopment of stands would probably require renaming due to offsetting costs which would imo take any shine off his name being used. For example, 'The Ron Saunders Brand Name Stand'. Doesn't feel right. It would also be quite some way off happening.

I think a statue commissioned by the club and funded by all would be a wonderful way of paying homage. Maybe even a duel statue with him and Barton would be pretty cool too. Something like them sitting together in the dugout(No dugout obviously, just a bench) would be class. Life size figures that everyone could take photos next to. between the stairs at the bottom of the Holte.  

At the moment I would prefer a nice statue in front of the Holte End. Renaming the worst and most worn out stand at Villa Park to our greatest manager (if Ramsey is seen as a secretary rather than manager) would be a bit naff. If we do build a new north stand then rename it the Saunders or Rotterdam stand.

Whatever people's thoughts about the Witton lane stand they are never going to take Doug's name off it imo. 

Back on topic. Rename the North stand. 

The Ron Saunders Villa Park, has a nice ring to it I think and that would be Honouring him in my eyes. If we can't take it that far then I think a statue would be lovely.

Â