Do you read?

Luke_W

I agree with every word Dawkins says, but his writing style is terrible.

I enjoyed the book for the most part. For me though, he make some great points but I think a more accurate title would be The Religion Delusion. He seemed to me to only be arguing against his own concepts of what God is, which in turn seem to mostly spring from his own experience and dislike of Christianity.

• 4 weeks later...

Count of Monte Cristo update:

I'm just over halfway through, and I'm a bit perplexed. What, for the first 350 or so pages was a gripping page turner and a case study in perfect plotting, has now degenerated into an interminable drag. I know the guy is taking his time to set up the perfect revenge, but jeez, it's turned into Jane Austen. Loads of subsidiary characters having romantic relationships, plot diversions that seem to go nowhere, you name it. Dull, dull, dull. Hard to credit that it's by the same guy that wrote the early chapters.

Somebody tell me Dumas is going to pull all this together soon, because he's losing me, big time.

Cheers mate :thumb:

Did you know the film that has just been released "Killer Elite" starring Statham & De Niro is based on that book (The Feather Men)?

I knew a film was upcoming but didn't know it was that one.....

(onto IMDB it is.....)

EDIT: Will avoid. Its going to be gash. "Based on a true story" - hmm don't let the SAS hear you say that......

Did you know the film that has just been released "Killer Elite" starring Statham & De Niro is based on that book (The Feather Men)?

(onto IMDB it is.....)

EDIT: Will avoid. Its going to be gash. "Based on a true story" - hmm don't let the SAS hear you say that......

I only found out because i went on Wiki to see what it was about. Think i will stick to the book (they both sound decent).

So from what im reading, it's actually not based on a true story then?

I recommend 'Lone Survivor' tho mate, superb so far.

I have Count of Monte Cristo to read soon - inpsired from really enjoying the old muskateer films the other week!

Currently on Turgenev's Fathers and Sons. Been wanting to try some russian lit for a while, and it's a good one to break back into I think - a short book, unlike some of the behomeths ( sp? ) from the others. As per usual the setting is mid 19th century round the whole serf's being liberated era of social change.

Also halfway through Carlo Emilio Gaddas That Awful Mess on the Via Merulana - Italian philoso-crime novel set in Rome in the 20s - which is a harder read due to the style of long sentences and cumbersome use of language but once I forced myself through the first couple of chapters it's become quite absorbing.

(onto IMDB it is.....)

I only found out because i went on Wiki to see what it was about. Think i will stick to the book (they both sound decent).

So from what im reading, it's actually not based on a true story then?

I recommend 'Lone Survivor' tho mate, superb so far.

Sir Rannulp Fiennes says that "The Feather Men" IS a true story, the SAS say it isn't. Not sure who is telling the truth but its a good read.

Will look up Lone Survivor and might pick up the new Andy McNab whilst I'm at it. I'm not proud. :D

Just finished The Ice Man : Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer....

i think it was mentioned on here a while back...terrific true crime book...

and there's a film being made about him...can't wait for that

I read that a little while back. Really enjoyed it. I didn't realise there was going to be a film. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

bit of light reading at present so I'm on "How Not to be a professional footballer" by Paul Merson

he reckons he blew £7m on gambling , drugs and drink

few Villa mentions so far but none of it flattering

I've just finished The Dealer and the Dead, as recommended by somebody on here. Great book and a fantastic ending.

In the bog I'm currently reading Åsne Seierstad's Angel of Grozny: Inside Chechnya . Bit heavy going buy insightful nonetheless.

Far removed from any of these, my next book is Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow

Â