Do you read?

Luke_W

No, they're all shite.

This may be the case but I've been bumped up out of the parapet of anonymity the last few months and it's likely to continue, even if I don't believe the hype I'd still like to be prepared for 'kicking the ball into the long grass' just so I know what it means :)

I like them, some people don't. There are a few references throughout the books that make it slightly better to do them in order although it won't do much harm if you don't.

Have fun recognising all the Villa players he names characters after.

Just finished Joe Hill's NOS4A2 and found it enjoyable, slightly confusing to begin with but overall a decent yarn.

I thought at first it was going to borrow heavily from his father's book Christine, fortunately the tale is about more than just the car.

Not his best book IMO by a long stretch, both Horns and Heart Shaped Box are superb.

Edited by theboyangel

As usual, several books on the go - 

Michael Chabon - The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

Jenny Uglow - In These Times: Living in Britain Through Napoleon's Wars, 1793-1815

Tim Clayton - Waterloo: Four Days That Changed Europe's Destiny 

(The above two are what you might call 'support reading', following on from Simon Scarrow's (fictionalised) Napoleonic quartet). 

Mark Lewisohn - Tune In (The Beatles: All These Years Volume One) 

• 2 weeks later...

My son bought me John Fante's - 'The Brotherhood Of The Grape' for Xmas. Hadn't read any Fante/Bukowski/Carver/Saunders for a while. Fante is a true master. Son also bought me the complete works of Raymond Carver - really can't wait to get into it. Had a few lean months reading-wise but now I am well and truly sorted for a bit.

I've just reread 'The Master and Margarita'. Each character having more than one name confused me, although I don't remember it doing so the first time I read it. I guess because at that time I was reading quite a few Russian novels, so was used to it. I wish they'd put before a books beginning a list of all the characters names though, to memorise,

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

So Winds of Winter delayed again. He's never going to finish it is he. Bit annoying considering the amount of time and fanboy lameness I have invested into the series.

Yeah just read his blog. A shame but not surprising at the same time. Also find it a bit annoying about how openly the show and books are diverging. I understand why but loses a bit of integrity for me

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Just finished Conn Iggulden's Wars of the Roses - Bloodline. I must say I enjoy reading his historic stuff with a bit of drama and interesting characters.

The War of the Roses ones pale in comparison to his Conqueror(Genghis Khan) and Emperor(Caesar) books. 

George is taking the piss, the book isn't finished so he writes an essay to say so. Sanderson announced on his blog that he has written another novella to tide us over while we wait for Oathbringer.

12 hours ago, V01 said:

The War of the Roses ones pale in comparison to his Conqueror(Genghis Khan) and Emperor(Caesar) books. 

George is taking the piss, the book isn't finished so he writes an essay to say so. Sanderson announced on his blog that he has written another novella to tide us over while we wait for Oathbringer.

I've read two of the Emperor books and start now the third one. I like them a lot too. I suppose it depends on your background and your own interests which ones you find more fascinating.

I've just reread 'The Master and Margarita'. Each character having more than one name confused me, although I don't remember it doing so the first time I read it. I guess because at that time I was reading quite a few Russian novels, so was used to it. I wish they'd put before a books beginning a list of all the characters names though, to memorise,

Yeah. Quite a lot of Russian novels do have a character list at the beginning, to sort out all those patronymics. My copy of War and Peace certainly does.

M&M is brilliant, though. May consider a re-read soon.

13 hours ago, V01 said:

I find Sanderson very poor though. I didn't like how he finished the wheel of time series the last book was particularly poor. 

I have a bad dream where he finishes a game of thrones to. 

You are aware he finished it as outlined in Jordan's notes?

I don't think you can use WoT as a judge of his work, he was basically writing fan fiction of the ending as imagined by Jordan. If you have read any of the Stormlight Archives, Mistborn series, Elantris or Warbreaker and not liked him then fair enough, You can't make an accurate judgement based on his work on WoT.

I have a dream where GRRM finishes Game of Thrones. 

Â