Do you read?

Luke_W

If anybody is looking for a good ww2 book try and get hold of maquis by george millar, might be hard to get as it was published in the 40s, but it is a brilliant book.

He was an soe agent dropped into france to organise the french resistance, the book is his account of it all.

I love this book, it's good to hear of someone else who's read it. It deserves recognition as one of the more sophisticated efforts on the subject of the Resistance and the war in general, although it's really easy reading.

Millar lived until 2005. I saw an interview with him, looking back at ze vor. He said something like "how silly it all seems now". Top man he was.

I find the books by Stephen E Ambrose are the best WW II books around. He has published.

D-Day

Citizen Soldiers

Pegasus Bridge

The Victors

Wild Blue

Band Of Brothers

All these books are a really good read.

Just finished "Why does E=mc2" by Brian Cox.

Brilliant book if you like that sort of thing, by the end of it I actually got hold of the concept and I understand a lot more. The universe is an amazing place and I appreciate its brilliance even more now. Its all a lot deeper than the equation and the book explains everything.

I now understand why the LHC is so important and if they find the little fella (Higgs) the world will probably change as our understanding of how things work will go through the roof.

Brilliant book if you like that sort of thing, by the end of it I actually got hold of the concept and I understand a lot more. The universe is an amazing place and I appreciate its brilliance even more now. Its all a lot deeper than the equation and the book explains everything.

I now understand why the LHC is so important and if they find the little fella (Higgs) the world will probably change as our understanding of how things work will go through the roof.

Havent a clue what you are talking about but I went to a Learnardo Da Vince exebition once and if it was"nt for this one guy we would be still in the 1800s.As far as inventions and technology go.

I'm fed up of hearing about '50 shades' on Facebook now.

Every bint on there is reading them and loving it. It's like Twilight all over again.

This has gone crazy! Every female on my facebook is ranting about it, all the girls at work and my other half too! One girl just said to me that all men should read it as all women like a bit of whats in there. My responce of "Listen you wont find a bloke who will have a problem with treating a woman like a slave and a hoar but you moan if we dont hold a **** door open" I asked them outright "ok who HASN'T wanked while reading it?" Watch them all change the subject! :lol:

And if it was"nt for this one guy we would be still in the 1800s.As far as inventions and technology go.

not sure I can subscribe to that view tbh

Roger Bacon also published drawings of submarines and flying machines two hundred years before Da Vinci was born ..and he appears to have been heavily influenced by Arabic theories

I don't doubt Da Vinci was a genius , but he wasn't alone

And if it was"nt for this one guy we would be still in the 1800s.As far as inventions and technology go.

not sure I can subscribe to that view tbh

Roger Bacon also published drawings of submarines and flying machines two hundred years before Da Vinci was born ..and he appears to have been heavily influenced by Arabic theories

I don't doubt Da Vinci was a genius , but he wasn't alone

Ah but Dan Brown has never heard of Roger Bacon!

Have you read 'a brief history of time'?

New Lee Child "Jack Reacher" thriller out August 30th :-)

The first shot of the Jack Reacher film they're doing came out today

JACK-REACHER_810.jpg

Apparently Cruise makes up for his lack of matching the character physically, he's supposedly quite the bastard in his performance. Trailer coming soon as well.

On the book front about halfway through Stonemouth. It's alright. The fairly constant references to modern day technology and culture in it are going to date the hell out of it, and in some cases Banks betrays a lack of understanding of what he's referencing. I also think I could live without the main character referencing his bloody iPhone again (although I guess it could be an accurate portrayal of your average iPhone user... ;)). Enjoying it, all in all.

Pratchett has a new book out, a collaboration with Stephen Baxter based on an idea he's had for about 25 years, the Long Earth. Reviews are mixed, but I guess, as it's Pratchett, I'll get round to reading it. His last collaborative novel, Good Omens, is my favourite book of all time.

Apparently Cruise makes up for his lack of matching the character physically, he's supposedly quite the bastard in his performance. Trailer coming soon as well.

Hope he does a good job cuz he's absolutely nothing like the character I've imagined after reading all the books

Hope he does a good job cuz he's absolutely nothing like the character I've imagined after reading all the books

No, not at all. I like Cruise as an actor, think he's done several very good films, but he's the last I'd expected to take the roll as Reacher. Reacher is huge.

No, not at all. I like Cruise as an actor, think he's done several very good films, but he's the last I'd expected to take the roll as Reacher. Reacher is huge.

Didn't know you'd read the books mate?

And I'd have gone for Ray Stevenson to play Reacher...absolutely perfect

Have you read 'a brief history of time'?

It's on my list, I thought this would be a good book to read before that one. I read his biography last month (Hawking) so I am quite looking forward to 'a brief history of time' but I wanted to be at least a bit armed with some prior knowledge.

(I am reading the Hunger Games currently as I needed a easy read after the E=mc2 as that book really is 2 pages forward 1 back or you will just not get it.)

Â