Playing against 10 men

abdulaziz1

On 20/10/2019 at 21:45, VillaJ100 said:

Our build up play is pretty slow and we're overall a kind of slow team. Most teams these days are fast and can counter mercilessly quickly but we aren't like that. It says something about our movement and passing when despite being relatively slow we find space so well with both men and passes that we create so many chances. I think that's a symptom of where we are though. If they could play passes and run at turbocharger speed they'd be amongst the best in the world

"Mercilessly".... love it.

Those are the type of words to put on the dressing room wall.

Its an odd thing isn't it? Its clearly not a coincidence how bad we are against 10 men. Its not as if the teams we faced were suddenly becoming super compact and hard to break down like what happened when Palave went down to 10 men. They were largely playing similarly as they had been before.

All I know is, its definitely indicative of a larger problem with us.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Its an odd thing isn't it? Its clearly not a coincidence how bad we are against 10 men. Its not as if the teams we faced were suddenly becoming super compact and hard to break down like what happened when Palave went down to 10 men. They were largely playing similarly as they had been before.

All I know is, its definitely indicative of a larger problem with us.

I think your last line is poignant and one they would do well to analyse rigourously

I think in future when we play against 10 men, we should take off one of our players to even it up and thus bring us back in with a chance of getting a result.

If the laws won't allow it then one of the players just needs to kick a ball away, get a yellow, rip off his top, get another yellow. Presto it's 10 v 10 and we're in with a chance.

Watch the Nobel nominations roll in for the piece and insightful thinking.....

45 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I think in future when we play against 10 men, we should take off one of our players to even it up and thus bring us back in with a chance of getting a result.

If the laws won't allow it then one of the players just needs to kick a ball away, get a yellow, rip off his top, get another yellow. Presto it's 10 v 10 and we're in with a chance.

Watch the Nobel nominations roll in for the piece and insightful thinking.....

Trouble is we only play with about 8 at the best of times.

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

Trouble is we only play with about 8 at the best of times.

Woahhhhh you're seeing at least two more players on the pitch than me.

I love AVFC and defend them fiercely with my circle of football followers....

I can handle losing, I could handle going down again if that's what happens but what I'm fuming about is we look just as toothless as the season we got relegated.

My prime example is this.... When we lose the ball in our third, watch how we press. The amount of times one or two players will press then turn around and realise that no one else is helping. We don't have a structure, we don't hold shape, we don't move forward cohesively or with a plan.

And I'm f$#king sick of watching it week in week out, especially when it's 3am and I have to sit in a dark room watching silently so not to wake my family.

I don't want to see DS sacked but if we don't put in a different looking performance against Burnley then I want him gone! 

Sorry, when I started typing this wasn't meant to be such a rant and probably not for this thread 🤷

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Woahhhhh you're seeing at least two more players on the pitch than me.

I love AVFC and defend them fiercely with my circle of football followers....

I can handle losing, I could handle going down again if that's what happens but what I'm fuming about is we look just as toothless as the season we got relegated.

My prime example is this.... When we lose the ball in our third, watch how we press. The amount of times one or two players will press then turn around and realise that no one else is helping. We don't have a structure, we don't hold shape, we don't move forward cohesively or with a plan.

And I'm f$#king sick of watching it week in week out, especially when it's 3am and I have to sit in a dark room watching silently so not to wake my family.

I don't want to see DS sacked but if we don't put in a different looking performance against Burnley then I want him gone! 

Sorry, when I started typing this wasn't meant to be such a rant and probably not for this thread 🤷

Quite frankly its understandable.

however, when i'm in the ground, i treat them like they are top of the league....problem is they don't treat me back like they are.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Quite frankly its understandable.

however, when i'm in the ground, i treat them like they are top of the league....problem is they don't me back like they are.

I agree with your in ground attitude, I am the same when I attend local games/teams here.

I just want to see more of the 1% stuff. At the moment you could get believe our players never knew each other before kick off.

On 20/10/2019 at 21:45, VillaJ100 said:

Our build up play is pretty slow and we're overall a kind of slow team. Most teams these days are fast and can counter mercilessly quickly but we aren't like that. It says something about our movement and passing when despite being relatively slow we find space so well with both men and passes that we create so many chances. I think that's a symptom of where we are though. If they could play passes and run at turbocharger speed they'd be amongst the best in the world

Agreed.

We're to slow when being countered, to slow countering ourselves. Whatever passing game we had seems to of drifted apart. I mentioned earlier in the season that I think there's timing problems between wingers and attacker's reaching the box. There's also a massive inaccurate final cross, way to often in that area I'm afraid, added with a striker who is struggling to find positions it's priority this is fixed this Jan.

Not got a clue how weve been bested so many times against ten men, it's unbelievable that's what it is. We lack so much in front of goal, this squad should be passing, crossing and firing goals in at a higher rate than what we concede, obviously  can't do it all the time but we really should be bossing games. 

I'm afraid that it's going to take rest of this season for this squad to settle, I see no easy fix here unless we buy talent that's already on fire and that would be a huge cost.

Taking on 10 men shouldn't be this exhausting for our players, the extra man should be that point in where we shatter teams, yet they play with more confidence, heart and passion we do.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

This is infuriating and we don’t seem to learn from it 

Commentators explained well how to do it.

Be patient. Play the ball from side to side and tire them out. You have a man advantage so gaps and spaces you'll always find.

We were much too direct and made it easy for them to defend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Be patient. Play the ball from side to side and tire them out. You have a man advantage so gaps and spaces you'll always find.

Textbook example was West Ham at home, a game we could really regret not winning in May. It was a tight game but we were doing o.k and creating chances. As soon as they went down to 10 we started playing at 100mph, just firing in crosses from ridiculous angles and also running straight at them centrally.

Really disappointed we're not learning.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Not sure our ball control, first touch etc would allow us to do that.....we get closed down easily, so that space is denied us.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Question is, was that a directive from the head coach or did the players just not do as they were told? 

On 01/01/2020 at 02:00, Dave-R said:

Agreed.

We're to slow when being countered, to slow countering ourselves. Whatever passing game we had seems to of drifted apart. I mentioned earlier in the season that I think there's timing problems between wingers and attacker's reaching the box. There's also a massive inaccurate final cross, way to often in that area I'm afraid, added with a striker who is struggling to find positions it's priority this is fixed this Jan.

Not got a clue how weve been bested so many times against ten men, it's unbelievable that's what it is. We lack so much in front of goal, this squad should be passing, crossing and firing goals in at a higher rate than what we concede, obviously  can't do it all the time but we really should be bossing games. 

I'm afraid that it's going to take rest of this season for this squad to settle, I see no easy fix here unless we buy talent that's already on fire and that would be a huge cost.

Taking on 10 men shouldn't be this exhausting for our players, the extra man should be that point in where we shatter teams, yet they play with more confidence, heart and passion we do.

I can see the problems Dave.....not sure of the solutions.

but we can't keep sweeping it under the carpet.....we have highs and lows, but the lows are sometimes too low.

Â