Playing against 10 men

abdulaziz1

4 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Question is, was that a directive from the head coach or did the players just not do as they were told? 

Always a 64 million dollar question....that chesnut was raised about the previous manager too.

i think its down to inconsistency, which derives in the main from lack of quality.....which leads to another debate.

Edited by TRO

This thing of ours of not being able to beat ten men is perhaps the biggest question mark over Smith, but I feel today is slightly different, in that the game was already lost whilst they had eleven men on the pitch, which is it's own problem, but any team in the league is going to find it hard to come from two goals down with more than half of the match already gone, even against ten men. To put it another way in today's game against ten men we actually did better them scoring whilst they didn't, it was in the first half, eleven against eleven, where the game was lost today.

Edited by useless

11 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

We were doing ok against 10 until Trezeguet came on for Nakamba and played as a centre forward and all shape was lost.

I agree with this, Hourihane would have been a much better sub. Nakamba had two balls which Conor would have score. Trez was a bad decision from DS. I liked it when he kept it 3 at the back. But then he got it wrong.

It reminded me with the playoff final against Fulham. When we put all strikers without midfielders. 

• Like 1

I was trying to find a full stat about teams winning red cards, but I couldn't find one. But I'm pretty sure we're the most team to win them. We only won one out of 6 games (one of them can't be counted as we had only 10 minutes when we were losing 3-0 at City). West Ham, Arsenal, Brighton, Man City, Watford, Bournemouth. 1 win, 1 draw, 4 losses. There were 31 red cards given in the whole league. I've actually mentioned couple of months ago that we'll be winning red cards, because of Grealish and McGinn. I also knew that it was matter that Lerma is getting the red. Grealish knows how to win fouls and how to force players getting cards. 

On 23/09/2019 at 04:57, abdulaziz1 said:

I’m gutted about the game, didn’t know what to post. But I think this issue is being a big problem. Although at the same time, we seem to force teams to get colored cards against us usually, McGinn and Grealish are important in that, so I guess we need to address the best approach in these circumstances.

Up The Villa! 

Agree team are always going to pick up cards against us. We created many openings we just couldn't find the finishing touch. We lost patience after Nakamba went off, mainly because Grealish was operating in the middle after Davis came on, that was until  Trez replaced  Nakamba, where Grealish was moved back to the left.

It's clear to me that if we really want to control the play Jack has to be in front of two sitters. Against 10 men that is a must. Sustained pressure is what breaks down 10 men.

Edited by Philosopher

• 7 months later...

Again we seem to find it hard to break while our opponents have only 10 players. But atleast we’ve capitalized on that this time and got the win. They only had the penalty really. Unlike Watford for example from last season.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
2 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Again, the same issue. Although we’ve improved towards the end of game unlike before. But we still can’t break teams this way. 

Players are trying to force it too much.

Why attempt cross after cross when big strong defenders can defend that all day long?

Simply not good enough.

Had a quick check back and our crime sheet under DS is:

5-5 v Forest. Crazy game but we actually were 5-4 up and they had a player sent off 15 minutes before time.

West Brom play off. We won of course but couldn't score a goal when Brunt got sent off and we had whole of extra time v a team dead on their feet. Thankfully didn't matter.

West Ham. Down to 10 men with about 20 minutes left and we suddenly playing the game at 100mph constantly misplacing passes. 0-0.

Watford 3-0. Summed us up at that point. 1-0 down when it happened, 3-0 defeat.

Borunemouth. 2 down when they lost someone, 2-1 defeat so a bit better but could've been very costly in the end.

This season we have been better given we won v Sheffield United in the first game (still took ages to score) and West Brom although we were 1 up when that happened.

Perhaps another one or two games I've forgotten about.

Simply not going to be a top level team again if you constantly throw away points from these type of situations so we need to get out on Bodymoor pitch and do constant 11 v 10 drills as will probably be another game in the run in where we'll play 10 men.

I actually thought the red was very harsh. Surprised Jagielka got sent off after the monitor check as would be raging if Mings or Konsa had been sent off in that situaiton.

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Why attempt cross after cross when big strong defenders can defend that all day long?

Yep, we were very lazy just doing basic crosses that weren't really that good at all and largely wasted 20 minutes of second half.

Only in injury time did we start doing some nice one touch moves around edge of box and we opened them up and won some corners of which we should've scored from. Should've been doing that from 70th minute mark.

It became just same old, same old....poor cross after poor cross! 

We needed craft and guile against 10 men and, sadly we don't have enough in the squad. An Erikson type would have been perfect tonight imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Because that's where they let us have the ball

The thing with tonights game is Sheffield with 10 would have been no different from Sheffield with 11, they'd still have stuck everyone behind the ball, sat deep and narrow and made us play

Hard to play through the middle when you're picking passes through that many bodies, mcginn 40 yards out from goal in acres of space... No one cared 

6 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I think this topic is wrongly titled! 

It should be more along the line of why we can't break down teams that sit deep.

That is the issue, not the number of players on the pitch.

The answer is, we aren't very good without Jack. Without him it's the usual unproductive, uninspired huff and puff. And that's where a pretty uninspiring mid-table, pass it sideways and hoof it story ends. It started well and the spark went out. Oh well.

Â