Playing against 10 men

abdulaziz1

Our build up play is pretty slow and we're overall a kind of slow team. Most teams these days are fast and can counter mercilessly quickly but we aren't like that. It says something about our movement and passing when despite being relatively slow we find space so well with both men and passes that we create so many chances. I think that's a symptom of where we are though. If they could play passes and run at turbocharger speed they'd be amongst the best in the world

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Again and again...😫

Quite embarrassing how we tried to handle it yesterday.

When you watch Leicester doing it they keep t he ball. Moving it side to side. Making the opponent chase after the ball and tire.

What did we do? Dribble or shoot from distance at any given opportunity and only leaving 2 men at the back. Just inviting Watford to counter.

Horrific management.

• Like 1

Smith just never learns does he?

4 times we've played against 10 men. And on all occasions we've been poor.

I see no difference how we handled it against Watford vs Arsenal. Bombing everyone forward leaving massive spaces for the opposition to counter. 

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Smith just never learns does he?

4 times we've played against 10 men. And on all occasions we've been poor.

I see no difference how we handled it against Watford vs Arsenal. Bombing everyone forward leaving massive spaces for the opposition to counter. 

yup it really is depressing

On 23/09/2019 at 14:47, villalad21 said:

It's shocking really.

Any other club in this league would capitalize on that advantage.

the other clubs ARE capitalizing on that advantage.We keep playing Wesley,Is that a 10 man formation or not ?

How many times this season now 4 or 5 games where we had extra man, not even one game we've won against a ten man team, I find our players are insulting the opportunities given to them.

14 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

the other clubs ARE capitalizing on that advantage.We keep playing Wesley,Is that a 10 man formation or not ?

As long as we're not scoring what we should be, I'd agree but it's not just Wesley, we have many players who have botched there chances.

5 hours ago, Dave-R said:

How many times this season now 4 or 5 games where we had extra man, not even one game we've won against a ten man team, I find our players are insulting the opportunities given to them.

Happened few times last year too.

off the top of my head, away to relegation doomed Ipswich we only drew 1-1. Forest went down to 10 and still managed to equalise in the 5-5. Couldnt score in whole of extra time vs. 10 man WBA

Edited by BleedClaretAndBlue
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Dave-R said:

As long as we're not scoring what we should be, I'd agree but it's not just Wesley, we have many players who have botched there chances.

I agree BUT the other players botch SOME of their chances,Wesley botches every chance.He is consistant,Ill give him that.

• Like 1

The frustration is we do actually have players who can move the ball quickly which is what you need v 10 men. Likes of Grealish, Luiz and McGinn can all do it.

It's a major mentality problem though.

Against West Ham we were doing o.k with patient build up then as soon as West Ham went down to 10 men we suddenly starting playing the game at 100mph and were just firing balls into the box from ridiculous angles and also constantly running into the centre of the pitch where all West Ham players were. Brainless and Grealish was as bad as the others at doing it that night.

That night has hung over us since. We just panic, stop doing the basics and stuff you do well v 11 and it works against us even more than the opposition somehow.

Its another indication of a lack of conviction in my view a first tendency to be benevolent.

To seize the initiative and turn the thumb screw, requires work initially and a mental determination to hurt the opposition.

another indicator is on 2 occasions now against Leeds and Watford, players have gone down injured and we have conceded, we expect sportsmanship......there is no fairness in love and war....we need to toughen up mentally.

sorry, this is not crown bowls.....its a dog eat dog game.

our lot need to man up.

• Like 2

Â