Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

It will be interesting to see what the plans are for Sophia Poor, watching her at the U17 Euros despite young age she looked likes she was already capable of being part of a first team squad, shot stopping, distribution, command of area, and especially general assuredness were all very impressive, when she announced she was leaving Leicester I presumed it was because she had an offer to be fast tracked into a club's first team.

Good to see we're looking at the top academy players in the country, we've obviously signed a lot of promising ones already over the last two or three seasons, but this is probably the most highly rated one yet, surprised she hasn't gone to one of the Manchester clubs or Chelsea or Arsenal, just hope we have pre-agreement with her in place to sign professional terms when she turns eighteen, I would think we must have otherwise signing her wouldn't make much sense.

This is all presuming she's actually signed for us and not just training with us as a favor but I doubt that, training with our first team at such a young age at the start pre-season, I think indicates that she's now most probably a Villa player, I guess we know we can only have someone as good as Leat as No.2 for so long, so Poor is hopefully readymade replacement.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Daphne van Domselaar is seriously good. She's going to be a super player for us, quite probably an upgrade on Hampton. 

I was watching the Netherlands match and did not even realize she was the same Dutch keeper that signed with us 😅.  Yeah - she was super impressive.  

5 hours ago, Farlz said:

Daphne van Domselaar is seriously good. She's going to be a super player for us, quite probably an upgrade on Hampton. 

Yes, another clean sheet. She looks to be a great pick up for us. Who is this Hampton you mention? 😄

27 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Good news. Interestingly, the announcement says that her contract was due to expire this summer.

At this point, should be safe to assume that Lehmann extends once she returns from the WC.

Fantastic news. I think outside of Aston Villa, Pacheco and Mayling are really underrated fullbacks. Both did really well last season from the games I watched. 

• Like 1

Do any of the Nigerian players play in the WSL? 

Sounds like they comprehensively outplayed England today. 

I wonder if there isn't a lot of good players to be found in Africa like mens football discovered 20 years ago. 

Edited by sidcow

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I wonder if there isn't a lot of good players to be found in Africa like mens football discovered 20 years ago. 

They just bullied us physically. Couldnt stamp our mark on the game ( Lauren James excepted) 

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

There’s one at Leicester, but a lot of the other players are at fairly established European sides.

I could be wrong, but the WSL isn’t the same in terms of comparative strength as the PL. So sides from France, Sweden, USA etc are strong rather than much weaker. 

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

Some NWSL blogger saying Daly will go to Angel City FC. Would be a big blow if true.  

Seems to be a joke about a dive she made during the England game (Angel City are by Hollywood)

• Confused 1

On 01/08/2023 at 11:59, useless said:

We've been drawn in a group with Blackburn Rovers, Sheffield United, Durham and Sunderland for the Conti Cup. About as good of a draw as we could have hoped for, avoided other WSL teams, gives us an excellent chance of qualifying for the knock-out stages and maybe a chance to give one or two youngsters some game time.

Are there any indications as to when these games take place and where they'll be held? Do we play home and away in the group?

Sorry, still fairly new to the women's game other than watching the highlights and following transfers so not sure how the Conti Cup works. 

Planning to get to every game Villa play up north this season so going to both the away games against the Manchester and Merseyside clubs. These Conti Cup fixtures would open up a lot of extra opportunities to go see them play though. 

47 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Are there any indications as to when these games take place and where they'll be held? Do we play home and away in the group?

Sorry, still fairly new to the women's game other than watching the highlights and following transfers so not sure how the Conti Cup works. 

Planning to get to every game Villa play up north this season so going to both the away games against the Manchester and Merseyside clubs. These Conti Cup fixtures would open up a lot of extra opportunities to go see them play though. 

Don’t think details have been announced yet. 

On 04/08/2023 at 16:19, useless said:

From training video looks like we might have signed Leicester's U17 England keeper Sophia Poor, either that or she's got a double in our U21s, it's a great signing if it is her as looked like one of England's best players at Euros

I think Leicester abandoned their women’s team, or at least the youth side. So all players were let go. 

Leicester haven't closed down their entire academy, just the lower age groups, they've still got an U21 and U16 team, Sophia Poor would have been okay regardless as was already part of their first team squad as highly rated youngster, she just decided to leave them as presumably got a better offer.

Our U21 and third choice keeper from last season Anna Draper has signed for Derby on a dual registration, so potentially Poor could be a replacement for her.

Edited by useless

Â