Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Just listening to commentary. 'England need Rachel Daly at left back '

She probably is the best left back in the squad simply because she has such a strong all round game. She can defend, cross, hold the ball, score...

But it makes me wonder why Maz Pacheco doesn't get a look in. Her stats were excellent this year. She had more interceptions than any other WSL player. She is good going forward.

Pacheco at left back and Daly up front.

• Like 1

Daly plays on her own upfront for us, she would make a difference if they use her right, just playing long balls to her because she's good in the air not the right way to go about it, let her drop deep and link up like she does for us and a swear England would soon look better.

4 hours ago, HongKongVillan said:

I'm kind of glad she isn't playing upfront on her own. Watched russo for the last 2 games, she was just so isolated upfront , I don't think daly would have made much of a difference.

Said before we really miss Mead drifting inside. She was my player of the Euros.

Very quiet on transfer front, I guess because of World Cup, we've got a lot do, only seventeen players in the squad at the moment and last season we typically had at least five players injured at any given time as injuries so widespread in women's game. Not sure if we've got any youngsters ready to make up some of the numbers, if not we probably need at least another five or so signings and even then would still leave our squad pretty small again bearing in mind the prevelance of injuries in women's game.

16 hours ago, useless said:

Very quiet on transfer front, I guess because of World Cup, we've got a lot do, only seventeen players in the squad at the moment and last season we typically had at least five players injured at any given time as injuries so widespread in women's game. Not sure if we've got any youngsters ready to make up some of the numbers, if not we probably need at least another five or so signings and even then would still leave our squad pretty small again bearing in mind the prevelance of injuries in women's game.

very concerning

I quite like the fact that this Women's World Cup feels like Men's World Cups from yesteryear in the sense that scouts are having a field day spotting players that would not be seen otherwise. 

Interesting to see if anyone comes Villa's way afterwards. 

We've been drawn in a group with Blackburn Rovers, Sheffield United, Durham and Sunderland for the Conti Cup. About as good of a draw as we could have hoped for, avoided other WSL teams, gives us an excellent chance of qualifying for the knock-out stages and maybe a chance to give one or two youngsters some game time.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

More importantly, a clean sheet for van Domselaar.

Did I mention that we should definitely sign Esmee Brugts? She scored one of the goals of the tournament so far, then scored the same goal a second time.

• Like 2

We've appointed Leanne Hall as Assistant Manager to Carla Ward

She had been Arsenal's Assistant Manager for the last fives up until January of this year, so seems to have a good pedigree.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

We've appointed Leanne Hall as Assistant Manager to Carla Ward

Replaces Sam Rose, who seemingly departed in July. Comes with quite a strong pedigree: worked as Assistant Coach at Arsenal for 2 years up until January, was their Goalkeeper Coach before that (and still works for England in that role), and was Assistant Manager at Small Heath from 2016-18.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Thanks 2

From training video looks like we might have signed Leicester's U17 England keeper Sophia Poor, either that or she's got a double in our U21s, it's a great signing if it is her as looked like one of England's best players at Euros

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Â