Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

20 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

But if we had to sell one of our high value players (£50m+) in the summer to balance the books who would it be? 

As much as I love Dougie, I'd rather lose him than Pau or Kamara

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

21 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m not sure we want him to totally eliminate it, it’s his aggression that elevates him above many of his fellow PL midfielders both in our squad and the opposition’s! 

I would never, want to eliminate Aggression from most players game......its a crucial element of a successful player.

Perhaps one or two, like Ben Mee, and Tarkowski, could tone it down.

but there again, thats not aggression, its thuggery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't know.....He is developing in to the heart and soul of the team, along with McGinn and Mings. etc

Dougie has been with us 4 years now.....He is kinda, one of our own, in a certain sense.

When you look back at the great football teams, they have stable players like him, who have woven themselves in to the fabric of the club.....its a precious commodity.

People like Dougie, become more than just a footballer.....Their Heart is in it..

The best recruitment teams around can't buy that.

I echo this for the likes of McGinn.

I think alot of people make the mistake of solely looking at player attributes on paper... " Oh we could replace x... With x easily " 

However there are way more variables and scenarios around this imo 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

You are so right. We have 6 key players who have been here 4 seasons or more. Luiz Konsa Mings McGinn Watkins and Martinez. 

They all joined at a point where the money wasnt great ( in Prem terms ) and the team wasn't great. So they have grown with the club. They get the club. It is part of them now. 

Apart from Kamara and Buendia, for me, if the chips are down,   then those 6 would be the first on the team sheet if we were going into war. 

Scares me really how good our recruitment was . To get characters like these with their improvement is difficult. To get 6 of them at once is ridiculous. 

Ditto.

Its key to our renaissance.

Edited by TRO

I know it'd be a blow to lose him but of everyone in our current set-up he's the one I think most likely to want a move, probably the most in demand and therefore the most money we'd likely get from a player sale. It's only been since Emery came in that he's any reason to stay, he honestly has no serious attachment to Birmingham other than as a place of work, and if an offer near £100m came in, with 2 years left on his contract, then I think it'd work for everyone, as we know for certain we have the right people to find his replacement. It would make us stronger in the long run I am sure.

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I know it'd be a blow to lose him but of everyone in our current set-up he's the one I think most likely to want a move, probably the most in demand and therefore the most money we'd likely get from a player sale. It's only been since Emery came in that he's any reason to stay, he honestly has no serious attachment to Birmingham other than as a place of work, and if an offer near £100m came in, with 2 years left on his contract, then I think it'd work for everyone, as we know for certain we have the right people to find his replacement. It would make us stronger in the long run I am sure.

How do you know he "honestly has no serious attachment to Birmingham"?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I love Dougie, and I don't want to see him leave - but you simply can't turn down a huge amount of money from an FFP standpoint, and as you say it should hopefully make us stronger in the long run.

59 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

You are so right. We have 6 key players who have been here 4 seasons or more. Luiz Konsa Mings McGinn Watkins and Martinez. 

They all joined at a point where the money wasnt great ( in Prem terms ) and the team wasn't great. So they have grown with the club. They get the club. It is part of them now. 

Apart from Kamara and Buendia, for me, if the chips are down,   then those 6 would be the first on the team sheet if we were going into war. 

Scares me really how good our recruitment was . To get characters like these with their improvement is difficult. To get 6 of them at once is ridiculous. 

Yeah you have to admire Smith for five of those (McGinn aside).

We didn't get them all at once though, McGinn was Champ, Watkins and Martinez were beginning of 20/21, others were beginning of 19/20.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Its absolutely paramount Shaun.....look around at the stalwarts at Liverpool and Man City......These guys are the building blocks of a team.

I don't want to labour the point, about the 80/81 team......but thats what they had, Saunders built that robust Family, With Bremner, Mortimer, Cowans, Shaw, Withe etc etc.

They don't have to be ex academy players, to be one of our own imo.....they just need to give us their heart....and those boys did, and they still to this day, love Villa.

I honestly, believe Unai is building this back again, and in my eyes, this is the very esssence of Building....not a bunch of cheque book charlies, how can that engender passion and commitment.

Dougie Luiz, is an epitome of a player, that Ron worked with, and Unai is doing similar.

These young boys we are looking at now, are testimony, to what his vision is.....they will fall in love with Villa too, if they make the grade.

When folk talk about strength in a football team, this is precisely what it is.....its priceless, and its what connects us all together.

Cheque Books are a necessary evil, but they don't build football teams.....The hearts of the Dougies, The SJM's and the Tyrones............do.

I couldn’t agree more! And you can bang on about the early 80s as often as you like for me! I think it’s that spirit that won theleague and the European Cup  You can talk about ability and skill sets for as long as you like but what always matters most is the heart and soul that players bring with them and the best managers recognise and nurture. That was true back then, is true now and always will be. Of course football talent is necessary too, or you and me would get a game, no disrespect to you mate but I wouldn’t pick me, in fact even my lovely Mom, if she were still with us wouldn’t pick me!

• Like 1

For me Luiz and Kamara are the nuts and bolts of the team. You shouldn't be selling these players just for ffp reasons. These two both early mid twenties can be here for years to come. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

How do you know he "honestly has no serious attachment to Birmingham"?

He's Brazilian. If he gets offers that are right for the club, that he also fancies, he's not going to say hey wait a sec, what about Birmingham!

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

He's Brazilian. If he gets offers that are right for the club, that he also fancies, he's not going to say hey wait a sec, what about Birmingham!

Yeah he has likely built friends here, his girlfriend lives and works here, he’s grown here over the last however many years.  As somebody who’s lived in other countries I have a very strong connection to those places I’ve lived for many reasons.  It’s also why so many foreign footballers end up staying close to the area after they finish playing for whatever football team they played for.  Yes loads move or go back to their home country but many stay around.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Yeah you have to admire Smith for five of those (McGinn aside).

We didn't get them all at once though, McGinn was Champ, Watkins and Martinez were beginning of 20/21, others were beginning of 19/20.

What about Suso? Smith knew nothing about DL until he was mentioned and I'm not sure he would've been responsible for Martinez initially either. 

I think sometimes it's easy to forget the individuals that get the players in that have transformed the club, Lange included. It shows imo the greatest signing will always be the manager because with him players never flourish.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah he has likely built friends here, his girlfriend lives and works here, he’s grown here over the last however many years.  As somebody who’s lived in other countries I have a very strong connection to those places I’ve lived for many reasons.  It’s also why so many foreign footballers end up staying close to the area after they finish playing for whatever football team they played for.  Yes loads move or go back to their home country but many stay around.

Dougies from Rio though Nick 😂  

Rio > Birmingham > definitely back to Rio 😂

I agree with your post though. Many do linger, especially if it's where they met partners and had kids etc. 

• Like 2

Â