Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

The trash click-bait never stops. Ever notice how Reach works both side's supporters for clicks, with journalists who cover Arse and Villa basically contradicting each other's reports to maximise the hype? Good strategy, really.

Mikel Arteta is eyeing a midfielder in the January window - and Aston Villa’s Douglas Luiz is the No1 long term target.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

10 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Think I'd rather just have the cash at this point. Nothing more annoying than these bellend clubs trying to take our best players with some cast off in a swap deal 

ESR would've been good for us in summer 2021. Like Ward-Prowse interest we've moved on considerably since. He's also been incredibly injury prone in last two seasons.

So basically we'd be selling one of the best 8s in european football currently and bringing in a wide player who'd be behind Bailey in the pecking order.

One of the most nonsensical transfer stories I've seen in a long time.

If we're doing like for like then that's Odegaard for them.

Looking forward to seeing him play for Brazil, they have Colombia away and Argentina at home so will be very high intensity matches.

Will surely start as they've only named four other CMs in their squad and two play in the Brazilian league. Their temporary coach has just won the Copa Libertadores so perhaps he'll go with the local players but Luiz in this form walks into a pretty mediocre Brazil 11. He's currently playing better than Bruno Guimaraes anyway.

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Looking forward to seeing him play for Brazil, they have Colombia away and Argentina at home so will be very high intensity matches.

Will surely start as they've only named four other CMs in their squad and two play in the Brazilian league. Their temporary coach has just won the Copa Libertadores so perhaps he'll go with the local players but Luiz in this form walks into a pretty mediocre Brazil 11. He's currently playing better than Bruno Guimaraes anyway.

I've read that in training yesterday he had Andre and Bruno Guimaeres starting together with Rodrygo, Raphinha, Vinicius Junior and Martinelli ahead of them: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/seleção-general-discussion-2023-r.2124383/page-17

So whilst I'm pleased he's finally been called up (although it took them long enough to do so), the fact that he is probably still likely to be coming off the bench for 10-15 cameos despite there being no Casemiro and no Paqueta is in my genuine opinion a disgrace. He's been quite possibly the most consistent performing central midfielder in Europe the past 12 months, almost every week he's one of our best players, and he's also an incredible footballer who can pretty much do everything. Weird because Diniz himself said when he called him up that he saw him as part of a new look Selecao but maybe he was just lying: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brazil-boss-makes-exciting-douglas-28058756

This is what angers me about football, he's currently being linked with Arsenal, if he doesn't start either of the two matches during this international break Arsenal are going to start saying if you come here you'll get more recognition and it might turn his head. And yet he should be starting the games because he's performed better than both Andre and Guimaeres the past 12 months, in fact he's performed better than any Brazilian central midfielder the last 12 months and should be first name on the team sheet in that position. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Leeroy said:

I've read that in training yesterday he had Andre and Bruno Guimaeres starting together with Rodrygo, Raphinha, Vinicius Junior and Martinelli ahead of them: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/seleção-general-discussion-2023-r.2124383/page-17

So whilst I'm pleased he's finally been called up (although it took them long enough to do so), the fact that he is probably still likely to be coming off the bench for 10-15 cameos despite there being no Casemiro and no Paqueta is in my genuine opinion a disgrace. He's been quite possibly the most consistent performing central midfielder in Europe the past 12 months, almost every week he's one of our best players, and he's also an incredible footballer who can pretty much do everything. Weird because Diniz himself said when he called him up that he saw him as part of a new look Selecao but maybe he was just lying: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brazil-boss-makes-exciting-douglas-28058756

This is what angers me about football, he's currently being linked with Arsenal, if he doesn't start either of the two matches during this international break Arsenal are going to start saying if you come here you'll get more recognition and it might turn his head. And yet he should be starting the games because he's performed better than both Andre and Guimaeres the past 12 months, in fact he's performed better than any Brazilian central midfielder the last 12 months and should be first name on the team sheet in that position. 

Well you were spot on with the front five. I've gotta say I'd never heard of that Andre. Had to Google him.

• Thanks 1

Thing about Andre is he's extremely defensive and when you're going with a front 4 you need that in the middle. However I would probably pick him over Bruno but a lot of people cream themselves over Bruno ever since he joined Newcastle and he stood out in a team getting top 4. But Luiz is (somehow) younger and I think better all-round. 

Brazil is always a difficult nation to get picked for in any generation so it's no slight on him but the worry as others have said, there's always the coach or player or manager who says "you'd be starting if you played for X instead of Villa"

5 hours ago, skarroki said:

Thing about Andre is he's extremely defensive and when you're going with a front 4 you need that in the middle. However I would probably pick him over Bruno but a lot of people cream themselves over Bruno ever since he joined Newcastle and he stood out in a team getting top 4. But Luiz is (somehow) younger and I think better all-round. 

Brazil is always a difficult nation to get picked for in any generation so it's no slight on him but the worry as others have said, there's always the coach or player or manager who says "you'd be starting if you played for X instead of Villa"

He's very similar to Bruno Guimaeres in the way he plays, both are pretty much deep lying playmakers who like to get on the ball and dictate the tempo. Going off FBREF, Dougie is better defensively than Bruno G and scores/assists more (which we knew anyway) but Bruno G's range of passing is slightly more progressive. Dougie can take corners, free kicks and penalties though which is pretty big in international football. Overall I think both are very talented players and don't think it's impossible to play both of them, but if you were picking based on form you'd surely be going for Dougie at this moment in time. 

I was pretty much spot on that he'd get a 10-15 minute cameo and he did. The problem that Brazil have is they have to start changing things up and including players like Dougie because their current team selections aren't working and they are playing cr*p. They've just lost consecutive qualifying matches to Uruguay and Colombia, two teams they shouldn't be losing to really. They couldn't even beat Venezuela at home a month ago and are behind them in the table down in 5th. Argentina at home next Tuesday is now a massive game that they have to win, and with Argentina losing at home to Uruguay which was a shock result they are definitely beatable. Dougie really has to be starting that game really given their poor result last night. 

• Like 2

On 15/11/2023 at 23:02, Marka Ragnos said:

The trash click-bait never stops. Ever notice how Reach works both side's supporters for clicks, with journalists who cover Arse and Villa basically contradicting each other's reports to maximise the hype? Good strategy, really.

But you sharing the clickbait helps with them with more ammunition to do more clickbait articles 😝

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Well you were spot on with the front five. I've gotta say I'd never heard of that Andre. Had to Google him.

He plays for the managers team and apparently rejected Liverpool in the summer

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

He's very similar to Bruno Guimaeres in the way he plays, both are pretty much deep lying playmakers who like to get on the ball and dictate the tempo. Going off FBREF, Dougie is better defensively than Bruno G and scores/assists more (which we knew anyway) but Bruno G's range of passing is slightly more progressive. Dougie can take corners, free kicks and penalties though which is pretty big in international football. Overall I think both are very talented players and don't think it's impossible to play both of them, but if you were picking based on form you'd surely be going for Dougie at this moment in time. 

I was comparing their stats on FBRef also (curse you, international break!). In the areas where Bruno G was better last season (progressive passes & carries, passes into the box, (accurate) long balls etc.) Dougie has now caught up and in a lot of areas overtaken him (Guimaraes still attempts & completes more take-ons). So statistically Luiz is legitimately the better player in pretty much every way on current form. I still think most people who don't watch Dougie every week would baulk at paying 60 million for him but think Bruno is worth 100mil + though...

• Like 1

2 points behind Arsenal and still 2 seasons behind them with our manager implementing his style and building his squad. Only Arsenal fans could see Doug signing for them....... unless they break their record for signing a player then he ain't going anywhere is my guess. I can see us beating them at home as well, revenge for last seasons defeat.UTV 

4 hours ago, Leeroy said:

I was pretty much spot on that he'd get a 10-15 minute cameo and he did. The problem that Brazil have is they have to start changing things up and including players like Dougie because their current team selections aren't working and they are playing cr*p. They've just lost consecutive qualifying matches to Uruguay and Colombia, two teams they shouldn't be losing to really. They couldn't even beat Venezuela at home a month ago and are behind them in the table down in 5th. Argentina at home next Tuesday is now a massive game that they have to win, and with Argentina losing at home to Uruguay which was a shock result they are definitely beatable. Dougie really has to be starting that game really given their poor result last night. 

Brazil are in one of those transitional phases. Lots of quality but very young in final third (they were playing Raphinha as some sort of number 10) and also got mediocre selections at full back. And lost Neymar and Casemiro to injury who give them endless experience.

If it was just top 4 going through they'd actually be in serious danger of missing out on that but top 6 automatic means they can just go through with mediocre form and selections.

Once Ancelotti comes in next summer Luiz will be a regular starter if he keeps up his standard here as Carlo loves that type of ball playing midfielder, will probably go more to a 4-3-3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I was comparing their stats on FBRef also (curse you, international break!). In the areas where Bruno G was better last season (progressive passes & carries, passes into the box, (accurate) long balls etc.) Dougie has now caught up and in a lot of areas overtaken him (Guimaraes still attempts & completes more take-ons). So statistically Luiz is legitimately the better player in pretty much every way on current form. I still think most people who don't watch Dougie every week would baulk at paying 60 million for him but think Bruno is worth 100mil + though...

Yeah way I see it. Bruno Guimaraes is a very good box to box player who's made huge impact on way Newcastle play. However he's not been as good this season as previous ones and not as good as Doug so far unless people are just basing it on the opening day.

He's certainly not moving in January. It's notoriously hard to get players through the door unless the player or club wants out. No doubt there'll be suitors in the summer. I can see Arsenal offering player plus cash in January, knowing that come summer you're likely to see a Real, PSG or Barca level club come knocking. But we won't sell.

6 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Honestly you should just play both. Yes you probably do want a third midfielder in there but it could be Paqueta. All 3 of them can put in a shift defensively and be the one sitting, all 3 of them can attack and they are all very good in tight spaces. And obviously Luiz is the best of them so should be starting regardless. 

• Like 2

Â