Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

6 hours ago, WHY said:

I was never a big Dougie fan and doubted him more often than not. I’m absolutely delighted that he has rammed my words down my throat. He has turned into some player. 

He was never a bad player. He was just misused (Deano) or unused (SG).

• Like 2

I need those kit prices to come down expeditiously so I can finally have one with his name on it. Will probably end up being the crown jewel in my collection given how it's going to have the odd history attached to it with the badge and the scrapped deal, but also because he'll be the biggest legend of the lot by the time he's done with us.

He is such a tactical leader on the pitch now too - constantly communicating and directing play. He really has grown as a player for us and it's great to see.

He totally knew what he was doing fouling that lad by head butting him in the shins before our goal by the way  😆

Edited by TheMelvillan
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, TomC said:

No, never was. He just had less experience. But even that first season with us you could tell it was highly likely he'd go on to have a great career. Just such a clever footballer with great technique.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pete101 said:

Second best midfielder in the league, I think rodri edges him but not by much and Dougie get better and better , so could be ahead of him this time next season 

Rodri is the best midfielder in the world by a margin but agree with Luiz being the best non attacking midfielder outside of rodri in the league. Obviously rat face and Kevin are top quality in their positions but their roles are so different it's odd to compare.

Edited by MotoMkali

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Going to be controversial but since we got promoted he has been our best player. Mings, Konsa, Emi and biscuit shins have all had good spells but Luiz since that Covid break has been a model of consistency and is getting better. He probably hasnt even hit his peak yet and has overcome the not being 6 foot 5 that some fans think a midfielder should be. I remember some on here laughing when I said he was better than Phillips and Bissouma

Unsung hero of the great escape season.Trez had the goals and Jack was Jack but Dougie was immense 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

That's unfair on deano we simply didn't have another player with the quality to play DM. 

That's mostly true. When he played 4-2-3-1 with McGinn and Doug in the double pivot, McGinn was the one with freedom to go forward. You can argue he should have given Doug the freedom instead, but then he would have been misusing McGinn. Neither was a 6. We had Nakamba, but he gave away the ball far too easily.

Signing Kamara is what gave us the power to unleash Doug...I think we'll all agree that SG failed to recognize that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Rodri is the best midfielder in the world by a margin but agree with Luiz being the best non attacking midfielder outside of rodri. Obviously rat face and Kevin are top quality in their positions but their roles are so different it's odd to compare.

The fact that they have Rodri and de Bruyne in the same side is why City have been so dominant. Look what happened to them today without either (plus with Guardiola serving a touchline ban). Very good team but not the same.

4 hours ago, TomC said:

I don’t even think he was misused by Deano. He was just 22 years old with the appropriate consistency. He was always clearly one of our most talented players and I don’t know what to say to those who couldn’t see that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomC said:

That's mostly true. When he played 4-2-3-1 with McGinn and Doug in the double pivot, McGinn was the one with freedom to go forward. You can argue he should have given Doug the freedom instead, but then he would have been misusing McGinn. Neither was a 6. We had Nakamba, but he gave away the ball far too easily.

Signing Kamara is what gave us the power to unleash Doug...I think we'll all agree that SG failed to recognize that.

Truly amazing that slippy, one of the great midfielders in his generation, could watch Douglas in training every day and think he wasn't part of our best 11. 

If I remember correctly wasn't it a forced injury that made him finally play Bouba and Douglas together. What a since. 

5 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

Do we really care ? I get from his personal and professional point of view, he will be hoping - but from our point of view I really don’t care 👍🏻

I care because if he played for, for example, Chelsea he’d start every game for Brazil. So we want the same to be true about Villa to not have him see the likes of Chelsea as a step up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Truly amazing that slippy, one of the great midfielders in his generation, could watch Douglas in training every day and think he wasn't part of our best 11. 

If I remember correctly wasn't it a forced injury that made him finally play Bouba and Douglas together. What a since. 

Pretty understandable considering he was a blood and guts midfielder from the 4-4-2 era who had a great engine and could get up and down. He could never help but to try to recreate our midfield in his image.

That's why McGinn was undroppable under him. Xabi Alonso probably would have appreciated him more as he was more in his mould.

23 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

He's on course to become world class,

I agree.

Weird thing is I still have no idea what type of player he is.

Is he a DM? Is he box to box? Is he a deep lying playmaker?

He seem to do a bit of everything and I struggle to categorize him which we tend to do with modern midfielders.

Edited by Pinebro

Â