Matt Targett

villan-scott

9 minutes ago, OzyBoy said:

Who knows yet!

Really! he’s close as close can be to signing for Milan.  I’m not sure you guys ever had a chance in signing him.

9 minutes ago, OzyBoy said:

But that's the level of player we're aspiring to, and compromising in other positions (like LB).

Aspiring but they have to want to come to you.  As we found out it takes quite a number of windows to get quality players.  I think you guys are a few windows away.  Obviously if you throw mega money at players you’ll have a few mercenaries come but I’m not sure you want that.

Edited by nick76

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

That's the game, you get that reputation like Liverpool and Spurs did. They took a few hits but generally now, you want one of their players - you will have to pay above and beyond

Like City had to for Grealish…….

El Ghazi , Trezegeut, Guilbert.

Grealish aside I don't think we make money off outgoing transfers.
We're a soft touch people - just accept it. It's fine to question it.

Why would Grealish be aside? That was us getting over the odds for our star player.

We've not sold any first team player in last couple of seasons. We sold Matt Target for £15m which is a good deal for us. We had a quality full back for 2 and a half seasons and sold him at a profit. Great work

This summer is the first real test about how well we can do with squad turnover. Traore will be a key one. 

Just now, rodders0223 said:

The exception to the rule! You don't judge a policy on selling your poster boy,

So what price have we sold, Watkins, McGinn, Mings, Cash or Martinez for? They're the other key players in our team. I assume we got poor value when clubs who wanted them took them off us. 

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Because it shows we are not a soft touch and doesn't fit the narrative

Gottcha. So to clarify the narrative is a player we clearly don't need anymore being sold for a profit = soft touch?

The exception to the rule! You don't judge a policy on selling your poster boy,

No you judge it irrationally because of some grudge you built 10 years ago against a player that used to crush us, that happens to be our head coach now.

• Haha 1

Just now, gwi1890 said:

No you judge it irrationally because of some grudge you built 10 years ago against a player that used to crush us, that happens to be our head coach now.

Gerrard doesn't sell players. That's stupid. 

The club probably didn’t want to spend a couple of months haggling over a couple of million when our entire MO this summer has been to move forward as quickly as possible, even if that means it cost a few quid here and there. 

We can argue the merits of that, but the strategy is clear. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Matt Targett is a good defensive "full back", but he doesn't have anywhere near the pace to be the sharp attacking "wing back" that Gerrard needs for the way he sets Villa up. That's the reason he was replaced by Digne. 

12/15 million is a good price for a player that doesn't fit our system.

All the best Matt.

Agree about not having the athleticism to play the role. I do think he's a good crosser of the ball if he gets forward in space which is why someone like Grealish was perfect for him.

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Really! he’s close as close can be to signing for Milan.  I’m not sure you guys ever had a chance in signing him.

Aspiring but they have to want to come to you.  As we found out it takes quite a number of windows to get quality players.  I think you guys are a few windows away.  Obviously if you throw mega money at players you’ll have a few mercenaries come but I’m not sure you want that.

No-one knows where he's going until he signs the contract.

Yes, aspiring, signing them is a whole different level of difficult. I'd guess at least four windows away from having a good enough squad to seriously compete.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Gottcha. So to clarify the narrative is a player we clearly don't need anymore being sold for a profit = soft touch?

TBH, if the fee was 20m or 25m I think the discussion would be exactly the same on here with just different numbers used. Debating a 3m or 4m on a transfer for a Premier League club is a bit of a nonsense. None of us know the actual amount and none of us know the details of our financials. However, we do know that registering a 10m odd profit and taking 3m off our wage bill is very positive for the club. Furthermore, we are not adding to a potential bomb squad of players. But some see that as being a soft touch. I wonder how much praise Purslow would have got if we were stuck with Targett on our books next season because he was holding out for more money so we were not seen as a soft touch

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

TBH, if the fee was 20m or 25m I think the discussion would be exactly the same on here with just different numbers used. Debating a 3m or 4m on a transfer for a Premier League club is a bit of a nonsense. None of us know the actual amount and none of us know the details of our financials. However, we do know that registering a 10m odd profit and taking 3m off our wage bill is very positive for the club. Furthermore, we are not adding to a potential bomb squad of players. But some see that as being a soft touch. I wonder how much praise Purslow would have got if we were stuck with Targett on our books next season because he was holding out for more money so we were not seen as a soft touch

No , we'll just keep accepting duff offers for all our players, wouldn't want to show any kind of negotiating prowess.

• Haha 1

Â