Matt Targett

villan-scott

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think we were in for Hickey then Digne became available and it was a no brainier 

Surely if we had a chance of signing Hickey, you'd take both. Hickey is 19.

• Like 1

I understand what people are saying on this one, in a sense.

But let's be real, are we never going to try and get quality competetion for each pitch position, to spare players " feelings " ?

I've said more than once, I would have forced him to stay, until at least the end of the season.

But on the other hand, if a player makes it clear they are unhappy and want to move, what do you do? It's a tough one.

I think this is also something which also comes down to personality types and mental strength.

I'd sooner see us let Ashley Young go, and bring Targett back in. Most f us love Targett, but let's not pretend as if all of a sudden he has been Roberto Carlos.

His best performances this season, ironically, came under Gerrard. He was one of the players letting us down this season, after being outstanding the season before.

Read back through the thread of this season for reminders. Most people admitted that whilst he is a good player, he is limited.

It very much seems he is the confidence and needs an arm around type.

This wouldn't be the first time managers have benched or.moved on " fan favourites " for not being able to play in a certain system though?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Do you think Gerrard would rather play Targett or Young for the run in?

I can guarantee we didn't any fee that would make loaning out our only viable back up LB in case of injury to a rival in any way logical 

Now I have to sit at Villa Park knowing we will be severely hampered in attack and defence because he have, bless him, a lad who can't move anymore playing left back 

Look its pretty clear to me. Obviously we would rather have Targett now that Digne is out, however, given that we're pretty comfortably stuck in mid table, the club clearly took a bit of a risk and decided that whatever finances were involved in the deal were more important than a player that would, with any luck, not feature for us for the rest of the season and destroy his value sitting on the bench. 

It's easy to look back now and say we should have kept him, but honestly how many extra points are we gaining with Targett playing instead of Young for 5 or 6 games? We may also plan to play a youngster there for the last couple of games now there's no real risk to help prepare them. We just don't know. 

Its all far too "Fifa" to me to just assume that every first team player we sign will move the player they replaced to the bench rather than sell them. We have rich owners but we can't destroy our players value just in case our first teamers get injured at some point because we'd never bring in any money from sales - hasn't our inability to ever sell a player for actual money been something we've all constantly moaned about for years and something that heavily contributed to our financial meltdown? 

After signing Digne, our first choice, we had 2 other left backs, one we could realistically command a £15/20m fee for, and one that has no value due to his age. We sold the one with value and kept the one without to stay as a backup 

7 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Bologna didn’t want to sell 

In January but were willing to talk about a deal for the summer. We should have went with that option and not signed Digne and used the money elsewhere 

19 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't think Newcastle will sign him permanently.

They will.

The Guardian had a celebratory piece on Newcastle yesterday, focused on how Howe has turned them around. At the end there is a passage about how brilliant Targett has been, where he also speaks about how great the training is at Newcastle.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/apr/21/eddie-howe-manager-of-the-season-newcastle-dan-burn

Targett is similarly optimistic. He has impressed hugely at left-back and, like Burn, has no regrets about saying yes to Howe. “It’s been an unbelievable turnaround,” he said. “This club was in quite a dark, dark place until the new owners came in. But the team’s really stepped up under the new manager.

“The first thing I noticed was that training’s really intense. We do certain drills daily so the manager nails what we need to do in certain areas into our heads. But this season has to be just a stepping stone.”

Targett having a dig at Gerrard (and Smith I suppose) at the end of this article about the turnaround of Newcastle. Their training is much better.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/apr/21/eddie-howe-manager-of-the-season-newcastle-dan-burn

“It’s been an unbelievable turnaround,” he said. “This club was in quite a dark, dark place until the new owners came in. But the team’s really stepped up under the new manager.

“The first thing I noticed was that training’s really intense. We do certain drills daily so the manager nails what we need to do in certain areas into our heads. But this season has to be just a stepping stone.”

10 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

First thing he notices is that training is more intense?

He doesn't say more intense.

When players are asked these things, they can largely only respond positively.

When Mings and Watkins were interviewed shortly after Gerrard came in there was all sorts of BS coming out. "He's raised standards... he's pushing us further than ever before". 

It's all garbage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He doesn't say more intense.

When players are asked these things, they can largely only respond positively.

When Mings and Watkins were interviewed shortly after Gerrard came in there was all sorts of BS coming out. "He's raised standards... he's pushing us further than ever before". 

It's all garbage.

It's true players and managers are media trained almost like politicians and only say what is expected. Targett may not have meant to say Villa's training isn't as good. But Gerrard, his staff and Villa players will definitely read his quotes. Like when Grealish arrived at Man City and kept talking about how amazing it was to have such brilliant team mates.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

26 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

It's true players and managers are media trained almost like politicians and only say what is expected. Targett may not have meant to say Villa's training isn't as good. But Gerrard, his staff and Villa players will definitely read his quotes. Like when Grealish arrived at Man City and kept talking about how amazing it was to have such brilliant team mates.

Gerrard clearly didn't like Targett so maybe he will take from it what you have. But he doesn't say more intense, less intense.

It's a general positive comment about training at his new club.

A club that will probably finish ahead of us because they have a better head coach who improves players.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Gerrard clearly didn't like Targett so maybe he will take from it what you have. But he doesn't say more intense, less intense.

It's a general positive comment about training at his new club.

A club that will probably finish ahead of us because they have a better head coach who improves players.

Yeah, agreed. The main thing is that Targett will sign permanently. 

Â