Matt Targett

villan-scott

23 minutes ago, a-k said:

Emi fought for the shirt for 10 years and still wasn't given any assurances after winning two trophies. Targett left the second he had any sort of competition. No comparison whatsoever.

Ok then, you mean more like when Digne wanted to leave Everton instantly after Rafa benched him?

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Digne could have stayed and argued his point of view. Looking back now, we know a couple of weeks would have been enough.

I'm sure he did argue his point for the 6 months Rafa was at the club.

24 minutes ago, Chine said:

20/21 supporters player of the season …. Maybe not just my opinion

It's not the point though is it. Your original point that Targett was poor without JG was what I responded to. Not how good Emi was last season. 

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I’m not crazy about Targett, but it’s double standards. Fans see it as Villa players have a moral obligation to stay as backup, because it’s convenient for the club. But happy when other players come here for more game time.

Digne and Targett's situations aren't comparable though.  Digne left Everton after falling out with the manager after 6 months, Targett left a week after we signed a better player in his position.  What are we not allowed to improve the squad?  Will Nakamba leave in a huff if we sign a new DM?   

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Digne and Targett's situations aren't comparable though.  Digne left Everton after falling out with the manager after 6 months, Targett left a week after we signed a better player in his position.  What are we not allowed to improve the squad?  Will Nakamba leave in a huff if we sign a new DM?   

Of course it’s in Villa’s interests to add depth, and players are under contract. I might actually have forced Targett to stay. But don’t blame him for wanting out.

If Villa spent big money on signing Hakimi, I’d understand if Cash wanted out.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Yea because I'm sure Steven Gerrard told him he would never ever pick him regardless of how shit digne played. 

Get a grip he didn't fancy having to compete so he took his ball and went home. 

He didn't use the word but he said himself in the interview Digne is a better player 

He wants to play every week

Madness that gets criticism 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He didn't use the word but he said himself in the interview Digne is a better player 

He wants to play every week

Madness that gets criticism 

I suppose the thinking is that in his two and a half years at the club, there have been loads of times that Targett had been really poor. Yet the club and the vast majority of the fans stuck with him. He had an easy ride as he did not really have any competition. The moment it got a bit competitive for him, he just gave up despite the backing he had previously received.

I can see it from his point of view but I am still a bit disappointed by it. Having said that I always thought that he lacked any kind of strength of character and this just pretty much confirms it and thus we are better off without him. He is not alone either. We have been a soft touch for years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Neil Taylor never complained and just got on with it. 

Also, the idea that he’s viewed just as taking up a wage and a comfy seat on the bench is rubbish. Modern football is about squads. 99.99% would be happy knowing he was a backup choice. Nobody would accuse him of stealing a living. Just a nonsense point. 

I would be very very surprised if we ever received a bid for Taylor

I see no issue in him wanting to play first team football and not wanting to sit on the bench. Fair play to him. 

Digne will always be ahead of him, injury permitting. The position he plays, its not like midfield or up front where you are more likely to get rotated or minutes from the bench. Hardly anyone replaces a left back for another left back in a game!

Hope he does well and we get a good fee for him. 

• Like 2

The guy wants to play football, can't really fault him. He probably wouldn't have played 90 mins in total until the end of the season. Gerrard got his man and clearly doesn't fancy Targett. Why stick around when you know this? To appease Villa fans, who wanted you gone and replaced by some Scottish kid anyway? Football fans love to have their cake and eat it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Football fans love to have their cake and eat it.

If he stayed and didn't play for 2 years, he would be accused of 'stealing a wage' and being an overpaid cheerleader!

Its best for the club as well, we can hopefully make a profit on him and put it towards a young player to develop. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xela said:

If he stayed and didn't play for 2 years, he would be accused of 'stealing a wage' and being an overpaid cheerleader!

Its best for the club as well, we can hopefully make a profit on him and put it towards a young player to develop. 

I would have preferred he stayed, for footballing reasons. Having Digne and Targett as your left backs is an incredibly strong position to be in. It would be selfish though, and it would likely result in him being our new Neil Taylor.

5 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Neil Taylor never complained and just got on with it. 

He never complained because he was shit. Sorry to sound harsh but Taylor wasn’t going to be first choice at another PL club earning better than his contract with us. 

Ive got no issue at all with a 26yr old wanting guaranteed game time  

25 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The guy wants to play football, can't really fault him. He probably wouldn't have played 90 mins in total until the end of the season. Gerrard got his man and clearly doesn't fancy Targett. Why stick around when you know this? To appease Villa fans, who wanted you gone and replaced by some Scottish kid anyway? Football fans love to have their cake and eat it.

you've confused us with a top 3 team.

Â