Matt Targett

villan-scott

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

There is no fixed fee. It was a straight loan wasn't it?

Guess it will be a bit like Mings then. Nothing agreed with Bournemouth but he played his part in meeting the objective and we signed him eventually.

No point targett coming back given he knows Gerrard dosen't rate him and Digne will be still starting next season so he'll sign full time for Newcastle you'd imagine.

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He wants first team football, I respect that but I do wonder about the fact he feels he cant compete with Digne. 

That’s the issue. Especially if there was an injury or suspension. Why he doesn’t see competition as a motivator speaks volumes. 

57 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't mind that, sounds like he knows Digne is the better footballer and he wasn't going to play, this whole stay and fight stuff I don't believe it personally, Targett wasn't going to work harder in training get better and usurp him, he'd have got minutes after a Digne injury

I think he's been very realistic and the clubs been good to let him go, the shit part is it's a loan to Newcastle, other than that I've got no issues with any of it 

Plus it was obvious Digne was the managers choice. Targett lost his spot the day Digne arrived. There was no competition. The only thing he would have fought for was a place on the bench. 

• Like 2

Unsurprising really he left Southampton because he couldn’t compete with Bertrand,  competition for places is healthy yes but if he doesn’t back him self to win the shirt then he definitely would back our ambitions to compete for European qualification. Self confidence and the desire to be better is key. He’s been and integral part of the journey that got us to the place we are now so good luck to him.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Some of the comments in this thread are absolutely pathetic. After years of supporting this club whilst the likes of Beye, N'Zogbia, Bent, Agbonlahor and countless others were more than happy to sit on the bench, or not even in the squad, contributing next to **** all and leeching the club for their ludicrous wages (although it's partly on the club for giving them those wages), it's actually quite refreshing to see a player leave once they know they are likely to not contribute anymore, as much as I would've liked him to stay.

Honestly, it seems to me that the weak-minded cry babies are the ones throwing a hissy fit because a player left us for first team football.

This...  I'd rather have a squad made up of players motivated to want to play week in and week out vs one made up of mercenaries who value their salary over all else.  Who cares about Targett now that we have Digne?  I'd rather have him go out on loan and continue to maintain his transfer value than rot on the bench and have his value drop.  He'll be gone this summer for probably 20 million pounds, which effectively allowed us to get a much better player for <10 million pounds.   Win-win for us.

I respect that he isn't willing to sit on the bench and just collect a paycheck but come on, show at least some backbone and try and fight for your place. Would it kill him to give it at least 6 months to see how things went? 

Digne wasn't exactly been pulling up trees at Everton this season before he came to us either. He could've gotten a major injury and suddenly, Targett gets the left back spot again.

I can't believe Gerrard would be too impressed if Targett placed a transfer request the moment Digne walked through the door and honestly, that may have been why Gerrard was willing to let him go so easily.

6 minutes ago, KMitch said:

This...  I'd rather have a squad made up of players motivated to want to play week in and week out vs one made up of mercenaries who value their salary over all else.  Who cares about Targett now that we have Digne?  I'd rather have him go out on loan and continue to maintain his transfer value than rot on the bench and have his value drop.  He'll be gone this summer for probably 20 million pounds, which effectively allowed us to get a much better player for <10 million pounds.   Win-win for us.

Can’t see 20 million for him tbh , more likely half that 

10 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Unsurprising really he left Southampton because he couldn’t compete with Bertrand,  competition for places is healthy yes but if he doesn’t back him self to win the shirt then he definitely would back our ambitions to compete for European qualification. Self confidence and the desire to be better is key. He’s been and integral part of the journey that got us to the place we are now so good luck to him.

100% 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, Chine said:

We paid 15 million for him when he was at Southampton struggling to get past Ryan Bertrand. No way after 2 and a half seasons establishing himself as starting PL left back does his value reduce to 10 million.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chine said:

We paid 11 million for him 3 years ago.  I don't see how he's dropped in value since playing nearly every game for us until January this season.

22 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

That’s the issue. Especially if there was an injury or suspension. Why he doesn’t see competition as a motivator speaks volumes. 

Surely somebody at the club could have explained that and vetoed the deal

I dont blame Targett but the club was short sighted here. Doing Newcastle a favour knowing they will power ahead of us in 3-4 years

21 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

We paid 15 million for him when he was at Southampton struggling to get past Ryan Bertrand. No way after 2 and a half seasons establishing himself as starting PL left back does his value reduce to 10 million.

Established PL left back 🤣,he’s had little to no competition and only looked half decent when he’d got grealish on his side ! Be lucky to get our money back and anymore on top and we’ve had someone’s pants down 

35 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I do get that but I think it also speaks to a lack of confidence/cutting edge on Targett's part. We need less players who will wilt under pressure.

1 minute ago, Chine said:

Established PL left back 🤣,he’s had little to no competition and only looked half decent when he’d got grealish on his side ! Be lucky to get our money back and anymore on top and we’ve had someone’s pants down 

Didn't he nearly make the England squad last season 

3 minutes ago, Chine said:

Player of the season last year. Grealish was out for 3 months. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Surely somebody at the club could have explained that and vetoed the deal

I dont blame Targett but the club was short sighted here. Doing Newcastle a favour knowing they will power ahead of us in 3-4 years

Why keep an obviously unhappy player? 

Â