Matt Targett

villan-scott

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Agree, one of the many reasons I love Hutton. Courage goes a long way for me and Alan Hutton never backed down from a challenge. I dont know Targetts reasons but fundamentally I think he has either identified himself or has had it identified for him that he isnt a good for for Gerrards style, and isnt capable of changing. Or not good enough if you want to be harsh. 

Sadly I think Targett will be remembered as another player who Jack Grealish carried.

We move on. And I am grateful for Matt's comtributions. We have better options now.

Hutton had about 3 or 4 loan spells away from Villa as well 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TRO said:

Not sure what is strange about fighting back. as opposed to bailing out.

Alan Hutton faced similar circumstances, many times, but just rolled his sleeves up and fought back...he refused to lie down, after being written off, that is a redeeming feature of any players make-up.

I find it strange that you think being given a shirt (newcastle) as oppose to fighting for one (Villa) is the harder task.....sure there might be other factors too.

Sitting on the bench was not my consideration.....fighting for the shirt at BMH was.

Hutton played for the club in shit times with a far worse squad to compete against. It was entirely plausible that he'd get a game if he stayed the course. Targett, on the balance of things, is nowhere near Digne's level as a player - it doesn't matter how hard Matt works, he's not going to magically turn into a top level fullback and he's smart enough to know that. Besides, I think he works pretty much as hard as he can anyway. Any attempt from the club/management to say 'If you work even harder then, y'know, maybe you'll get a game again' would be misleading at best.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CVByrne said:

tbh, Stevie doesn't fancy Matt for the type of full back we want so he was going to be sold in summer with Hickey coming in

I was never over fussed either.

17 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Exactly, system change. Massive onus on Targett to be that wide forward in attack which is the weakest area of his game. If he wants to play regular football, what clubs better than Newcastle would be coming in for him? 

So in Targett's mind, there is the system here doesn't play to my strengths and Villa have signed one of the Leagues best attacking Left Backs in my position. I want to play regular football at 26 as if I don't and am a back up at Villa for 18 months that will damage my career. Newcastle play a system that is perfect for my game, an attacking wide forward/winger ahead of me and a defensive back 4. They are on an upward trajectory if we avoid relegation and can easily be mid table next season at least like Villa were last season. I'm being paid more money to join them on Loan and if we stay up and I join permanently I'll get a pay bump. 

Why aren't footballers allowed to make decisions in the best interests of their own careers and their family. We all do it.

They are.....

but I am an Aston Villa Fan not a Matt Targett fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Hutton played for the club in shit times with a far worse squad to compete against. It was entirely plausible that he'd get a game if he stayed the course. Targett, on the balance of things, is nowhere near Digne's level as a player - it doesn't matter how hard Matt works, he's not going to magically turn into a top level fullback and he's smart enough to know that. Besides, I think he works pretty much as hard as he can anyway. Any attempt from the club/management to say 'If you work even harder then, y'know, maybe you'll get a game again' would be misleading at best.  

Quite feasible.

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

They are.....

but I am an Aston Villa Fan not a Matt Targett fan.

I am an Aston Villa fan too. Doesn't mean I take issue with someone making perfectly reasonable decisions about their own professional careers. We brought Targett in, he did a job for 2 and a half years and we basically moved beyond him and he's now back to his level with Newcastle. 

The best thing Targett can do for Aston Villa is play well and help us make a profit on him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he’s probably thinking beyond the next 4 months. He’s surplus to requirements at Villa.

I accept a lot depends on what has been said to him privately....we will never know, will we?

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I accept a lot depends on what has been said to him privately....we will never know, will we?

Gerrard is quite open in his press conferences so it wouldn't surprise me if he tells us Targett has a desire to play week in week out to push for the England squad and it’s something Villa couldn’t offer this season.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I am an Aston Villa fan too. Doesn't mean I take issue with someone making perfectly reasonable decisions about their own professional careers. We brought Targett in, he did a job for 2 and a half years and we basically moved beyond him and he's now back to his level with Newcastle. 

The best thing Targett can do for Aston Villa is play well and help us make a profit on him. 

My point was....I am looking at it from the clubs perspective....SG saying he wants 2 players for every position, was my main motive.

I see the perfectly reasonable decision you allude to, too.....but I also see a lack of fight too, from the clubs perspective....That is of course assuming the club wanted to keep him, which I am unsure about.

It depends on whose perspective you look from.

Some say, he has no chance of winning it back anyway, they may be right, in which case maybe I am wrong....I just like to see a bit of fight in players, is all.

Its just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Gerrard is quite open in his press conferences so it wouldn't surprise me if he tells us Targett has a desire to play week in week out to push for the England squad and it’s something Villa couldn’t offer this season.

England Squad.........ok?

1 minute ago, TRO said:

My point was....I am looking at it from the clubs perspective....SG saying he wants 2 players for every position, was my main motive.

I see the perfectly reasonable decision you allude to, too.....but I also see a lack of fight too, from the clubs perspective....That is of course assuming the club wanted to keep him, which I am unsure about.

It depends on whose perspective you look from.

Some say, he has no chance of winning it back anyway, they may be right, in which case maybe I am wrong....I just like to see a bit of fight in players, is all.

Its just my opinion.

The decision for him to go to Newcastle was only for the benefit of Aston Villa FC. We get a loan fee and his wages paid and plan to sell him in summer so his value should be 5m higher in a summer sale vs sitting on bench at Villa. 

Yes SG wants 2 players in each position. But I'm sure he agrees a +8m to the bottom line for AVFC in terms of booked profits is better than keeping Targett. Hickey is the open secret of the right young LB we want behind 28yo Digne. 

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Jesus Chris. We have a very solid asset in Targett, one on a long contract and with clear ability. A solid premier league player in questionably one of the more difficult positions to fill for any team.

He will not play 1st team football at Villa, and we have solid back up to Digne in Young. 

So we either stick Targett on the bench, OR, let him play football. If he plays football, he will be better, and he can;

1. Challenge Digne in pre season
OR
2. Get us a bigger fee should he decide to transfer.

Also, he is a professional footballer who wants to play, and wants to push his career forward. He won't do that sitting on the bench. 

What is this load of crap about not rolling his sleeves up or not fighting for a shirt... he is doing exactly that. 

I would much rather have a player loaned to get minutes than one who knows he will sit on the bench. It's a win win for everyone, literally everyone involved. 

How can we question this?

We are not......but he has "thrown the towel in" at Villa.....I'll go somewhere else where I can as good as guarantee my place.

That's fine.

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The decision for him to go to Newcastle was only for the benefit of Aston Villa FC. We get a loan fee and his wages paid and plan to sell him in summer so his value should be 5m higher in a summer sale vs sitting on bench at Villa. 

Yes SG wants 2 players in each position. But I'm sure he agrees a +8m to the bottom line for AVFC in terms of booked profits is better than keeping Targett. Hickey is the open secret of the right young LB we want behind 28yo Digne. 

SG did say...." It was his decision"....that could be construed as SG didn't want him to go....which prompted my comments.

There are many benefits here......I just thought, he may have stayed and fought for his place, after only 2 games, being left out.

What if Lucas Digne gets injured against Leeds, ( god forbid) and is out for the rest of the season?....I just thought it was a bit pre mature to " throw the towel in"..sorry, but thats how I see it.

I accept, there are many factors to consider.....If I am brutally honest, I prefer the outcome, as I am not over fussed, with his play, anyway.....I keep having "Watford" flash backs.

15 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Shame we signed a born loser like Coutinho who would prefer to leave than fight for his place in the team.

all of our January signings except {Olsen who was injured for last few months} have spent most of the season on the bench 

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

We are not......but he has "thrown the towel in" at Villa.....I'll go somewhere else where I can as good as guarantee my place.

That's fine.

That's a very subjective argument.

Has Jack Grealish thrown in the towel at Villa because he knew he can't push us any further?

Has Coutinho thrown in the towel at Barca?

Surely you could say that about any player going anywhere?

Just because you leave (and he hasn't - he has been loaned) it doesn't mean he has thrown in the towel. 

And that's before we even consider the possibility that Gerrard has sat him down and said 'I don't see a place for you in my team now, or in the future'. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just because he hasn’t realistically got a chance does it mean he should stop striving and believing ?

Same people who say he should show fight will also tell you he shouldn’t be ambitious… ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

SG did say...." It was his decision"....that could be construed as SG didn't want him to go....which prompted my comments.

There are many benefits here......I just thought, he may have stayed and fought for his place, after only 2 games, being left out.

What if Lucas Digne gets injured against Leeds, ( god forbid) and is out for the rest of the season?....I just thought it was a bit pre mature to " throw the towel in"..sorry, but thats how I see it.

I accept, there are many factors to consider.....If I am brutally honest, I prefer the outcome, as I am not over fussed, with his play, anyway.....I keep having "Watford" flash backs.

I don't believe a player has to accept a loan move against their will. The conversation regarding loans with players (not just Villa, in general) could be along the lines of 'You can rot in the u23s if you don't agree to the loan to another club', if the player decides to play football as opposed to being excluded from 1st team training and games then the players agrees to go on loan. So ultimately, any manager will be able to say 'It was the players decision'. I am not saying SG was as blunt as this but I think saying it was 'the player's decision' means the player has been told there is no future for them in the 1st team'. Obviously loaning out youth is a different scenario

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

5 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Jesus Chris. We have a very solid asset in Targett, one on a long contract and with clear ability. A solid premier league player in questionably one of the more difficult positions to fill for any team.

He will not play 1st team football at Villa, and we have solid back up to Digne in Young. 

So we either stick Targett on the bench, OR, let him play football. If he plays football, he will be better, and he can;

1. Challenge Digne in pre season
OR
2. Get us a bigger fee should he decide to transfer.

Also, he is a professional footballer who wants to play, and wants to push his career forward. He won't do that sitting on the bench. 

What is this load of crap about not rolling his sleeves up or not fighting for a shirt... he is doing exactly that. 

I would much rather have a player loaned to get minutes than one who knows he will sit on the bench. It's a win win for everyone, literally everyone involved. 

How can we question this?

Add to that, he isn’t a winger for example that can be rotated or coming from the bench every game. That one can fight for two spots rather than one. I don’t think a good player would accept being on bench for a long time. Unless he had chance of rotation or coming from bench regularly. 

Â