Peter McParland

SirSteveUK

My first Villa hero. I was just too young to see Gerry Hitchens play but the first match I went to was the 1961 League cup final second leg against Rotherham. Packy scored the winning goal as we overcame a 0-2 deficit from the first leg, Loved him ever since.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

Just a quick post to wish our oldest living former player (and last survivor of the 57 Cup team) a very Happy 85th Birthday on Thursday 25th

I started supporting Aston Villa in 1956. Peter McParland was an instant hero.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

Was at Windsor Park on Monday for the the tour and my son got very excited when he saw the 1958 Section and it feature Peter McParland.  He is 12 and McParland is a hero to him as he came from Northern Ireland and scored in the Cup Final.

Also I informed my boys while on the tour that Danny Blanchflower was also a Villan, so when it came to going in one of the suites they didnt want to go in the George Best Suite but the Blanchflower Suite :)  Tour Guide said they have never had that before.  We ended up looking around both.

Is your boy a Villan as well?

36 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Is your boy a Villan as well?

Both are :)

Only ones at their School, plus on the summer football camps they always seem to find one of the coaches who is a bluenose to torture.

Youngest wears his Villa Goalkeeper Kit every week for football practice.

Edited by NIVillan
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, NIVillan said:

Both are :)

Only ones at their School, plus on the summer football camps they always seem to find one of the coaches who is a bluenose to torture.

Youngest wears his Villa Goalkeeper Kit every week for football practice.

Well done. You brought them up well. 👍

• Like 3

6 hours ago, John said:

Many happy returns Peter. 🎂 A true club legend! 

It would be nice to see him take a round of applause at one of our last two home games of this season, if he is able to make one of them.

We don't do as much as we perhaps should, as a club to honour our greats. Like Ron Saunders, Peter should have something at the ground he graced named after him.

That is a wonderful idea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hornso said:

Kinda sad he’s our oldest living ex-player at only 85.

That stat can't be true.  There would be hundreds of players over that period, surely many are still alive.  Oldest well known player maybe? 

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

Kinda sad he’s our oldest living ex-player at only 85.

I am not sure but very possibly. Of the 1957 cup winning team, Peter is the only one alive. Nigel Sims passed away in 2018 and Jackie Sewell in 2016. One of the other oldest players is Bobby Thomson who is still a spring chicken at only 82!

I met him and Peter at the Millwall game and they were still fit as fiddles! 

Â