In Vino Veritas

maqroll

My day to day preference is beer, but I do love me some red wine, especially during the cold weather months. I've never been much of a fan of white, but I recently had a gewertztraminer (sp?), produced in Washington state and i liked it. $10 bottle too, it wasn't some expensive shit. I typically like California Cabernets, but have been enjoying other varietals as well lately. Zinfindel (a Croatian grape, btw, didn't know that), is really sort of hearty. Totally different wine to a Pinot Noir for example. Anyways, what are some of your favorite wines/least favorite? Have you ever been to a winery? Let's here your stories, winos.

I am a total noob, but I am trying to learn. 

Quite enjoy amarone. Been drinking Italians for a while. Will be looking more at French going forward. 

Had an amazing trip to a winery in Stellenbosch, SA in late feb. It was quite small. Called Keermont. Lovely wine. Got to see the entire process. 

These are ace.  

038102_a_the-chocolate-block.jpeg

ZZXHRRTwReCMwOM2Pul21Q_375x500.jpg

50381.jpg

last ned (1).jpeg

• Like 1

Wine is my drink. I like a beer but couldn't do an entire night on beer and in the house its always wine. Usually white, rarely red. 

I don't have a preferred wine as my parents live in France I get an EU wine lake from them every few months. It's whatever is on offer at their local supermarket. 

• Like 2

depends on where I am and mood. There's a gorgeous new cheese and wine bar opened in Cardiff recently, and the wines it has there are very nice. There was a Lebanese red, and a Kent ( yes Kent ) white wine ( White Bacchus )  amongst others which were delicious.

Malbec's, Riojas I can have more or less any time. Need to be in the mood for the lighter reds like pinot noirs - some of them are too tangy for me. Have found myself enjoying Whites a little more over the past year, as with me generally drinking much less frequently nowadays, it can sometimes take just two glasses of a heavy red to give me  a hangover :(

Only through arbitrary holiday locations I've enjoyed visiting vinyards in Margaret River, Perth ( lovely wines there, but a south west australian vinyard, in the shops they always seem to come from the other side! ) and Monbazillac in France for a sweet white wine that was nice too.

• Like 1

Since being on a keto diet beer is a no no for me, so I've got into my wines. Started to enjoy my alcohol again. Annoyingly, for such a cheap country, wine in Bulgaria is quite expensive so I'm always on the look for good ones.

Mezzek-Merlot.png

This one is very good and it's around £4 a bottle in Lidl. 

img65757781.jpg

This one is excellent too and quite moreish. Looking at around £5/6 a bottle. 

First the veggie thread now this , it’s like a conspiracy to post things that piss me off :)

What’s next ? a what’s your favourite Lycra thread followed by a what’s your favourite thing about France thread ....

Wine just  does nothing for me , even when I try adding things to it like gin .

if I’m out on a binge session then it’s beer ( or southern softie shandy to give it the correct Bicks terminology ) and if I’m at home I drink Pepsimax with dinner or in front of the TV 

yeah I know I’m  a heathen :)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

keto diet

OT but how long you been doing that ? Doesn’t it also make you go for a wee about 80 times a day 

Edited by tonyh29

I love a glass (bottle) of red.  Chat Du Pape when I can afford it but I'm no connoisseur/snob and am more than happy with a nice bottle of this...

Image result for yellow tail shiraz

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

Seems to be an absolute lottery for me. Sometimes I'll have a glass of red wine at a wedding or whatever and think it is absolutely lovely, and I'll try to remember what it was.

Then I'll try it a few weeks later and think it's horrible.

Malbec was the last one. Tried it at a meal I went to, thought it was amazing. Bought what I thought was a nice-ish bottle of it to try myself later and it was horrible.

I'd like to drink more of it but not sure it will ever happen. I've been saying that for years

• Like 1

I love ice wine.. which is basically pure honey.. dessert wine, only found in certain regions which get cold enough to freeze, like Canada or Germany.

Shriaz is ok, because it's sweet. 

Not keen on red wines that leave your tounge with that "shammy leather" texture.

Not keen on many white wines.

Not much of a drinker really, apart from a whiskey every now and again.

29 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The only wine I ever drink comes from Wombourne and costs about £8 a bottle:

Black-Country-Gold-with-Glass-1024x683.j

It's good. Otherwise, I have very little interest in the stuff. Give me a beer any day. 

I’ve been to that vineyard a few times. I haven’t been to many so I can’t exactly compare but it’s nice enough. 

The sampling room is reasonable too, it’s something like three glasses for £5 I think. Not huge glasses but not the shot sized glasses I was expecting either. 

Annoying pedant alert, Halfpenny Green is in Bobbington rather than Wombourne.

Like you, I don’t mind an occasional glass of wine, but I’d rather a beer/lager.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

OT but how long you been doing that ? Doesn’t it also make you go for a wee about 80 times a day 

Seventh week, not a diet as such more of a lifestyle change. 

...and yes, you pee a lot.

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Seems to be an absolute lottery for me. Sometimes I'll have a glass of red wine at a wedding or whatever and think it is absolutely lovely, and I'll try to remember what it was.

Malbec was the last one. Tried it at a meal I went to, thought it was amazing. Bought what I thought was a nice-ish bottle of it to try myself later and it was horrible.

I'd like to drink more of it but not sure it will ever happen. I've been saying that for years

There are so many different varieties and vintages of the same type, to be fair, so that can happen.  But also, I find I am often influenced by a sort of halo effect by the environment. Going to weddings, or tasting events, always makes it seem a little bit nicer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

First the veggie thread now this , it’s like a conspiracy to post things that piss me off :)

What’s next ? a what’s your favourite Lycra thread followed by a what’s your favourite thing about France thread ....

Wine just  does nothing for me , even when I try adding things to it like gin .

if I’m out on a binge session then it’s beer ( or southern softie shandy to give it the correct Bicks terminology ) and if I’m at home I drink Pepsimax with dinner or in front of the TV 

yeah I know I’m  a heathen :)

That makes us two. :) Apart from a decadent time in my life some 10-15 years ago, I've never had wine on a pub. On very, very rare occassions me and the OH share a bottle of wine if we're on a restaurant, but as she's not much of a wine drinker either we're mostly drinking beer there too.

Friends that got into wine around 10-15 years ago are into vinyl now.

I wonder if they'll go full circle and get into graphic novels again in another decade or so? :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

But Malbec is the grape? Expecting the same taste of different wines from the same grape is like a bit weird no? A lot of "malbec" wines are in fact blends, which doesn't help either. Though it can be fantastic.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

2 minutes ago, Xann said:

Hadn't read this when I posted.

Are you buying vinyl now? :D

Well, no, I don't have anything to play it on, but I've been thinking about buying a vinyl player for some time now, so you never no. :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

This is actually a bit funny. If I recall the majority of red wines are made with egg white in a clarifying process. Essentially it acts like a flocculant and removes tanins. Which means most vegans that drink red wine probably aren't aware of it. 

Â